Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Right..... Upgrade Time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CBR125R
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:53 - 28 Jun 2010    Post subject: Right..... Upgrade Time Reply with quote

I have literally been riding my bike for a year and have put around 8 thousand miles on the clock as I use it every day and do allot of work in london; I recently turned 18 and want to get myself an SV650, I have saved up around 1.8k I know I can pick up an sv for around 1k to 1.2k and the insurance tpfat should be around 500 as I have 1 years no claims and no points on my license...... yet.

I have looked at many videos of the Mod 1 test and im cocky enough to think I will pass it with no lessons, but when it comes to mod 2 im not to sure. Im looking for your advice.

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:26 - 28 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think the mod 1 is like an extended CBT TBH.

Mod 2 is road riding... So if you've done it for a year and you're still alive (In London as well) then you should be fine.


BUT it's no harm having a couple of hours or find a friend to follow you and tell you what you're doing wrong (test wise). And try and get rid of some bad habits, etc.

Also, 8k miles in 1 year is low Razz (especially every day!)

Also, bigger bike wise are you 100% set on an SV? Sat on on it etc? What you aim for first isn't necessarily what you want.


I changed my mind at the end and never looked back Thumbs Up
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:28 - 28 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Right..... Upgrade Time Reply with quote

CBR125R wrote:
I have literally been riding my bike for a year


Sore bum?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ol
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Right..... Upgrade Time Reply with quote

CBR125R wrote:
I have looked at many videos of the Mod 1 test and im cocky enough to think I will pass it with no lessons, but when it comes to mod 2 im not to sure. Im looking for your advice.

Thanks


After commuting on an NSR for a year i passed my MOD 1 without any lessons. i had a lesson (£40 for 2 hours iirc) before my MOD2, just to check i wasn't doing anything drastically wrong - and i'm really glad i did!! showed me a few things i kept missing and better ways to approach junctions etc but most importantly told me about the local examiner and the things he was keen on so i knew what to avoid.. was silly things like setting off at a relative speed - i.e if your setting off behind a bus it's obviosely going to set off slower than a car or another bike and to keep plenty of distance etc, stuff that i wouldn't really think about when 90% of my previous riding was commuting in traffic!

I'd say it's worth a lesson before your mod2.

Ol.
____________________
Previous: Cub50, NRG50, TS50, YB100, CB125, NSR125, ZZR600, CBF1000, SV650s, ZX6R B1H, XT250, Mito Powered Crosser, WRF450, , FZ600, VN800, GSXR600 - Currently CB1000R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
Also, 8k miles in 1 year is low Razz (especially every day!)


Average UK mileage is only 2500, so 8k is hardly "low" Confused
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's still low. Especially for everyday use and going to and from work.


I did 28k on mine. Laughing

And plenty have done more Razz
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty have done less, either way it's still over three times the UK average.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 55.05 Kb