Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How do I get my knee down? (Pics)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: How do I get my knee down? (Pics) Reply with quote

Did California Superbike School a few weeks ago and it has improved my riding massively, I was genuinely surprised at how much difference it has made Smile . I'm going faster with less effort and leaning further over than ever before (no chicken strips on the rear AT ALL). However... I still haven't got my knee down. Now I've heard G say plenty of times on here that it's not necessarily how far you lean but more down to your body position. So what am I doing wrong? Some photos of me riding on the CSS:

https://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5099/imageoutput.jpg
https://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2389/imageoutput1.jpg

Preview pics from the website will have to do for now because my CD of all the images hasn't arrived yet (I HAVE BOUGHT THEM, I'm not just being a pikey and stealing the images! Razz ).

So what do I need to do?? Embarassed . Got a track day at Rockingham on Saturday and would like to get rid of my knee sliders virginity!

Cheers.
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit back, hang an arse cheek off, try and headbutt the mirror and point you leg towards the rear of the bike, not down towards the tarmac.

If your outer forearm isn't resting against the tank, you can lean off more.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Re: How do I get my knee down? (Pics) Reply with quote

St0rmer66 wrote:
So what am I doing wrong?

Not sticking your knee out Wink.

I'm generally quite flexible, which helps getting my knee down from various weird positions, however if you're not...
To help further, try and hang off more with your upper body - this will help twist your body around, which naturally push your knee out more.
Your lower body looks to be ok.
Some people like to angle their foot towards the bike a bit to make it easier to get their leg out.

If you are actually quite flexible, then it's just a case of pushing your knee out more.

I really wouldn't worry about trying to get your knee down on a trackday - go to a roundabout if you want to!
At the last Snetterton, I did a few times, but most were because there was a camera there and once right around Corams for the sake of it. I was feeling rather full of manflu so wasn't trying to ride fast - if I was, I'd have been concentrating on the riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been said on here before, but alot of people seem to be fixated on getting their knee down rather than it being a bi-product of cornering well.

I tend to use my knee as a gauge of lean. When my knee goes down, I don't go any faster / Lean any more.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I will admit there is a part of me that just wants some pretty pictures of me with my knee down Razz... I do think that having the correct body position in the first place is a good idea. Otherwise I may eventually find myself running out of lean without realising and going into a low-side. I think I'm a fair way off that happening just yet, but I'd like to get it right from the beginning. Even just having the right body position without having my knee all the way down just looks better and it can only help surely?

I'll probably give trying to headbutt the mirrors a miss because they're going to be sat in my garage at home, can't see that ending well Wink . Thanks for the advice guys! Encouraging to know my lower body position isn't too bad, will work on my upper body more. I was still in the process of getting used to actively counter steering and looking at the apex while these photos were taken so I did have a fair bit on my mind already... these are all things that will come naturally eventually though Smile .
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spit-Fire
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsv is quite a tall bike also, might make it a little harder at 1st
____________________
they say the good die young... i say we just live faster
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bEN_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check youtube for 'how to get your knee down'

endless amount of video's literally showing you which should give your more help than just reading it off here
____________________
2010 Ducati 848 Dark

Lamp Post Enthusiast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

northernmonke...
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of experience do you guys have before doing css?

I just passed in march but would like some more (useful!) training on leaning and cornering
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raced for a couple of years and read twist of the wrist a reasonable amount.
I was disapointed - it didn't offer what I hoped for and they promised.

I'd read twist of the wrist etc first off, much better value for money at least.
It's still worth considering, but you can learn a lot your self on the three trackdays you could buy for the money and actually get a decent track experience at the same time!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see my position in those photos, and like you never got a knee down but good use of the full width of the rubber. It feels natural and I'm more than happy rather than hanging off further and further.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I don't lean off a lot, but as said before the usage of the knee is to gauge angle of lean.

On the SV650, when my knee hit the floor I knew I had about ~5-6mm left on the shoulder of the tyre to play with.

It's god awful quality, but you can see my body position:

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs038.snc4/34246_408843731370_544131370_5066482_998306_n.jpg.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 08 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and it should be noted that you have to have a good feel of the bike/riding generally to use your knee as a 'maximum lean' guage - obviously it depends on things like speed and surface too.
On track I will often try and hold my knee just above where it will touch down with my 'normal' riding for that corner on track - that way I know I'm going a bit faster than previously if it touches down.

Unfortunately you can't quite get an idea of the position and perhaps I could still have had my upper body slightly further off (not much time to get into position there), but this was Snetterton last weekend:
https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4767172287_965f704d87.jpg

Where possible, you want to get into a pretty good position before the corner starts. However, presuming you're not right on the limit, the triple left hand at Rockingham gives you some time to adjust your position.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DynaMight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to practise on track IMO, especially a new track. I find it best to learn on the road, a road you know well. I'm not talking about actually getting your knee down but learning to hang off, not unsettle the bike etc. You will probably feel like an idiot as you'll be hanging off but not leaning that far but its just to get an idea of what to do.

Personally, I sit back in the seat, get one butt cheek off, put the ball of the feet on the end of the foot peg but the most important thing is to lock in with your other knee, if you're hanging and needing to hold on with your hands then you're doing it wrong.

One of my favourite pics was taken by my wife when I was on someones elses bike!

https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o114/DynaMight/SWB%20Trackday%202010/LlandowCBR600.jpg

Once you do it once, you'll do it all the time after that.
____________________
My bikes are at https://www.bikepics.com/members/dynamight/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, one thing I've gone on about before is practicing the position on roundabouts, general riding, work car park etc.

I may look silly going into the work car park with the bike vertical hanging off like a gibbon, but it means your body is used to the position, so on track I naturally fall into it.
I often found as I upped the pace that my body position suffered, as I was having to *think* to get it right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never been able to 'lock' my leg into the tank as im too tall and it feels uncomfortable. I tend to put all my weight on my inside leg/foot and nothing on the outside. ( can take my foot off the outside peg)

Not sure if its 'correct' but it feels natural to me....

I also use my slider as a lean angle gauge and dont feel the need to have it melting on the tarmac, but more kissing/skipping along it.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs171.snc3/19880_282816627249_797677249_3367473_8322333_n.jpg
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:21 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
Ive never been able to 'lock' my leg into the tank as im too tall and it feels uncomfortable. I tend to put all my weight on my inside leg/foot and nothing on the outside. ( can take my foot off the outside peg)

Not sure if its 'correct' but it feels natural to me....

I also use my slider as a lean angle gauge and dont feel the need to have it melting on the tarmac, but more kissing/skipping along it.

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs171.snc3/19880_282816627249_797677249_3367473_8322333_n.jpg

That Ninja looks unhappy to be leaning.

Always found the face of those bikes odd. Laughing.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I've got the better photos now and some from different angles:

https://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9223/1yy5594.th.jpg
https://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8332/1yy5510.th.jpg
https://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1623/1yy5470.th.jpg
https://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7483/1yy4866.th.jpg
https://img682.imageshack.us/img682/7820/1yy3980.th.jpg

Click for bigger versions Smile .

Click for my favourite one!

Looks like my outside leg isn't locked into the tank which is probably a side effect of me not getting my arse of the seat enough!
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me looks as though you're just not sticking the knee out far enough, and maybe need to move off the bike a little more. I agree with whoever said try and point it to the back of the bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ssruk
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it may sound dumb but try sticking your nee out you cant get it down if its on the side of bike unless you sliding down the track Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! The world's smallest violin player, just for you!
____________________
(02)hyosung crusie 2(sold) (89)cbr 600f (91) gs500ex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang off more. That will get you a bit closer to the ground though it does feel weird at first. A side effect of this will be that when going round a corner at the same speed as before, the bike will be more upright due to your weight being shifted. You will therefore need to / be able to go quicker with the same lean angle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure that I buy into the whole perfect body positioning thing.
I'm sure there is more important things that are limiting people from riding fast then where they point there head or angle there knee.

I'm not really one to disprove the theory as I'm slow and have bad body positioning Smile but when even top level GP racers such as
De puniet-
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/big_al/243585.jpg
You need to shift your upper body over mate.

and Colin Edwards-
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/big_al/ColinEdwards_Laguna_RHFF_Wall_1024.jpg
Remember to lock the outside leg in Colin.

Aren't doing it right it kinda makes you wonder how important it is for the average guy on the street/track.
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i want to know is what do you do about weight distribution? where are you suppose to be carrying your weight ? on your wrists, inside leg, outside leg what is the dealio ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
One thing i want to know is what do you do about weight distribution? where are you suppose to be carrying your weight ? on your wrists, inside leg, outside leg what is the dealio ?


Outside leg and bum.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al wrote:
Aren't doing it right it kinda makes you wonder how important it is for the average guy on the street/track.

I suspect they're not trying to get their knee down for the pics Wink.
I've often watched much better club racers than myself 'doing it wrong' and felt less bad about my arse-out position.
However, good position can also help the less-confident rider feel a bit more 'natural'.

For St0rmer66; I reckon your arse is off enough looking at the pics - one arse cheek should be plenty for getting your knee down purposes. As I say, more and it can help twist your leg back away from the road, as it's off more than your torso.
You could even try a bit less, but pushing your torso off more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 09 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick I learnt was to wheel your bike up so the right hand mirror is 1mm from a wall, put the bike on the sidestand and get a mate to hold it while you climb on and hang off towards the wall. Try to touch the wall with your knee, that is the body position you need.

My effort at Cadwell:

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/paul3011/Kneedownhall.jpg

Local roundabout (whilst closed, obviously Very Happy )

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/paul3011/P7100007.jpg

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.02 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.32 Kb