|
|
| Author |
Message |
| St0rmer66 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 St0rmer66 World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:34 - 08 Jul 2010 Post subject: How do I get my knee down? (Pics) |
 |
|
Did California Superbike School a few weeks ago and it has improved my riding massively, I was genuinely surprised at how much difference it has made . I'm going faster with less effort and leaning further over than ever before (no chicken strips on the rear AT ALL). However... I still haven't got my knee down. Now I've heard G say plenty of times on here that it's not necessarily how far you lean but more down to your body position. So what am I doing wrong? Some photos of me riding on the CSS:
https://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5099/imageoutput.jpg
https://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2389/imageoutput1.jpg
Preview pics from the website will have to do for now because my CD of all the images hasn't arrived yet (I HAVE BOUGHT THEM, I'm not just being a pikey and stealing the images! ).
So what do I need to do?? . Got a track day at Rockingham on Saturday and would like to get rid of my knee sliders virginity!
Cheers. ____________________ :: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) :: |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| garth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 garth World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| garth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 garth World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| St0rmer66 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 St0rmer66 World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:04 - 08 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Whilst I will admit there is a part of me that just wants some pretty pictures of me with my knee down ... I do think that having the correct body position in the first place is a good idea. Otherwise I may eventually find myself running out of lean without realising and going into a low-side. I think I'm a fair way off that happening just yet, but I'd like to get it right from the beginning. Even just having the right body position without having my knee all the way down just looks better and it can only help surely?
I'll probably give trying to headbutt the mirrors a miss because they're going to be sat in my garage at home, can't see that ending well . Thanks for the advice guys! Encouraging to know my lower body position isn't too bad, will work on my upper body more. I was still in the process of getting used to actively counter steering and looking at the apex while these photos were taken so I did have a fair bit on my mind already... these are all things that will come naturally eventually though . ____________________ :: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) :: |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Spit-Fire |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Spit-Fire World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bEN_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bEN_ World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Dec 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| northernmonke... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 northernmonke... Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 23 Feb 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:38 - 08 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can see my position in those photos, and like you never got a knee down but good use of the full width of the rubber. It feels natural and I'm more than happy rather than hanging off further and further. ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:34 - 08 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I find I don't lean off a lot, but as said before the usage of the knee is to gauge angle of lean.
On the SV650, when my knee hit the floor I knew I had about ~5-6mm left on the shoulder of the tyre to play with.
It's god awful quality, but you can see my body position:
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs038.snc4/34246_408843731370_544131370_5066482_998306_n.jpg. ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:50 - 08 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh and it should be noted that you have to have a good feel of the bike/riding generally to use your knee as a 'maximum lean' guage - obviously it depends on things like speed and surface too.
On track I will often try and hold my knee just above where it will touch down with my 'normal' riding for that corner on track - that way I know I'm going a bit faster than previously if it touches down.
Unfortunately you can't quite get an idea of the position and perhaps I could still have had my upper body slightly further off (not much time to get into position there), but this was Snetterton last weekend:
https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4767172287_965f704d87.jpg
Where possible, you want to get into a pretty good position before the corner starts. However, presuming you're not right on the limit, the triple left hand at Rockingham gives you some time to adjust your position. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DynaMight |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DynaMight World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:24 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's hard to practise on track IMO, especially a new track. I find it best to learn on the road, a road you know well. I'm not talking about actually getting your knee down but learning to hang off, not unsettle the bike etc. You will probably feel like an idiot as you'll be hanging off but not leaning that far but its just to get an idea of what to do.
Personally, I sit back in the seat, get one butt cheek off, put the ball of the feet on the end of the foot peg but the most important thing is to lock in with your other knee, if you're hanging and needing to hold on with your hands then you're doing it wrong.
One of my favourite pics was taken by my wife when I was on someones elses bike!
https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o114/DynaMight/SWB%20Trackday%202010/LlandowCBR600.jpg
Once you do it once, you'll do it all the time after that. ____________________ My bikes are at https://www.bikepics.com/members/dynamight/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evoboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evoboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:45 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ive never been able to 'lock' my leg into the tank as im too tall and it feels uncomfortable. I tend to put all my weight on my inside leg/foot and nothing on the outside. ( can take my foot off the outside peg)
Not sure if its 'correct' but it feels natural to me....
I also use my slider as a lean angle gauge and dont feel the need to have it melting on the tarmac, but more kissing/skipping along it.
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs171.snc3/19880_282816627249_797677249_3367473_8322333_n.jpg ____________________ Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600
APT Motorcycles |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:21 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
That Ninja looks unhappy to be leaning.
Always found the face of those bikes odd. . ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| St0rmer66 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 St0rmer66 World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:53 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ssruk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ssruk Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:02 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
i know it may sound dumb but try sticking your nee out you cant get it down if its on the side of bike unless you sliding down the track  ____________________ (02)hyosung crusie 2(sold) (89)cbr 600f (91) gs500ex |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Al |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Al World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Feb 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:37 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm not so sure that I buy into the whole perfect body positioning thing.
I'm sure there is more important things that are limiting people from riding fast then where they point there head or angle there knee.
I'm not really one to disprove the theory as I'm slow and have bad body positioning but when even top level GP racers such as
De puniet-
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/big_al/243585.jpg
You need to shift your upper body over mate.
and Colin Edwards-
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/big_al/ColinEdwards_Laguna_RHFF_Wall_1024.jpg
Remember to lock the outside leg in Colin.
Aren't doing it right it kinda makes you wonder how important it is for the average guy on the street/track. ____________________ Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nick606 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nick606 World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:48 - 09 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
The trick I learnt was to wheel your bike up so the right hand mirror is 1mm from a wall, put the bike on the sidestand and get a mate to hold it while you climb on and hang off towards the wall. Try to touch the wall with your knee, that is the body position you need.
My effort at Cadwell:
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/paul3011/Kneedownhall.jpg
Local roundabout (whilst closed, obviously )
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/paul3011/P7100007.jpg
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|