|
|
| Author |
Message |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:42 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: Kawasaki ER5 Pros and Cons |
 |
|
I'm hopefully going to be viewing this ER5.
I'll be using it as a commuter so not bothered if it has bland power delivery. I'm looking for reliability.
Looks tidy and has pretty low mileage, fitted with crash bars, big screen, top box and new BT45s. Anything specific to watch out for?
What's the opinion on the price? I'd say it was pretty normal but will be making a low offer when I'm there.
Any better alternative bikes? I will consider them but I only have until Monday to find a new bike because I don't really want to commute on my TZR.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:56 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had one as a courtesy bike and it was more than up to the job. The riding position makes it very comfortable in town, more so than my GPZ. I missed having a fairing, also this bike doesn't have as much top end power as the GPZ. The fuel gauge is toss, mine read empty at work halfway. It does have your usual reserve tap too though.
Overall I found it quite capable, although the finish was nothing like as good as the GPZ 500 S and it managed to do everything that bit better. ____________________ H100 Breaking for spares |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:07 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Pro : It's not a GS500
Con : It's not a CB500
 ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flip Super Spammer

Joined: 28 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Carvel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Carvel World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smooth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ollieholt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ollieholt World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Apr 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| HopmanUK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 HopmanUK Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 10 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:43 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Probably worth having a look here... https://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/forum/
ER5 and 6 dedicated forum. Lots of info, especially good for when you're working on the bike. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dr. DaveJPS |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dr. DaveJPS World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrDonnyBrago |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrDonnyBrago World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sebastianw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sebastianw Spanner Monkey

Joined: 22 May 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sebastianw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sebastianw Spanner Monkey

Joined: 22 May 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:19 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sebastianw |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sebastianw Spanner Monkey

Joined: 22 May 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:19 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stelmer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stelmer World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:14 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had one on my DAS, cant really be that bad if most of the training schools use them, they can obviously take a fair amount of abuse and keep on ticking.
Not going to be the fastest in the world but in tight and heavy traffic should more than make up for it as quite stable at slow speeds. ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| steppen22 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 steppen22 World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:59 - 14 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
I have an er5.
The rr is notoriously unreliable. Check it with a multimetre (see the bikers oracle forum for details). Mine screwed the tacho - previous owner.
Another con is the paintwork, which seems fairly shoddy. If the bike you look at has a good finish still, be sure you try to preserve that, as otherwise it'll start flaking.
The '2-1' section of the exhaust will rust like no ones business - get on your hands and knees and check it when you view. Again, if it's good, start using anti rust straight away to keep it that way.
As a bike, its fairly bland - but if you want a no thrills ride to and from work, you can't really complain, I don't think. No one's ever got excited about an er5, but it does its job quietly and reliably. ____________________ no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:10 - 15 Jul 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had one for 4 years as my commute.
Same as other posters really. MPG Excellent at legal speeds I could get 72mpg.
The fuel gauge was rubbish, I used to just use the trip counter.
My Regulator/Rectifier went. Luckily all it took out was a bulb, but I understood what was happening straight away, so new not to use it till fixed. (To be honest for the £30 or £40 it'll cost, i'd just swap it straight out).
I had issues with the exhaust also, where the 2 pipes join.
I wouldn't worry about all the rust/paintwork comments, I road it through 4 winters, no issues. I just did the usual maintenance of hosing it down daily and spraying FS 365 on it.
Seat is really low even for me at 5'8", you can even get a shorter seat.
What I loved about the ER5, is that I could max it out on my moorland rides, I could ride it to the limit and I had to work for my gear changers etc. My bikes now are too powerful to ride to the max on the roads I go on. It sort of felt good having to push it, so you got every last ounce out of it. ____________________ I've a twin and a 4. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Casper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Casper World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smooth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|