|
|
| Author |
Message |
| pieee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pieee Derestricted Danger
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:39 - 21 Aug 2010 Post subject: Honda VT 250 F2 hasn't been started in years, what to do? |
 |
|
Hey guys just as the title says,
I have a Honda VT250F2 that was given to me recently that hasn't been started in a long long time (2 or 3 years) and was told that it was fully operational before the front wheel and forks etc were taken off and other various bits were used as parts for the bike that I am currently riding. So both bikes were from the same owner (a friend) and currently only 1 is working, my frequent ride and it is running beautifully.
I have put the forks, wheel and tank etc back on the other bike and built it back up with things I had in a big brown box she is rolling around fine, brakes etc is all running fine, I put a battery in her today and tested the killswitch by putting my ear to its relay bit and I can hear it tick in and out so a good sign, now as for the engine and other areas to look at what would I need to do to get this baby running again?
Here are a few pics too:
https://img267.imageshack.us/g/img00357201008070714.jpg/
Thanks, Filip. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom1981 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom1981 Derestricted Danger

Joined: 25 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:27 - 21 Aug 2010 Post subject: Re: Honda VT 250 F2 hasn't been started in years, what to do |
 |
|
| pieee wrote: | Hey guys just as the title says,
I have a Honda VT250F2 that was given to me recently that hasn't been started in a long long time (2 or 3 years) and was told that it was fully operational before the front wheel and forks etc were taken off and other various bits were used as parts for the bike that I am currently riding. So both bikes were from the same owner (a friend) and currently only 1 is working, my frequent ride and it is running beautifully.
I have put the forks, wheel and tank etc back on the other bike and built it back up with things I had in a big brown box  she is rolling around fine, brakes etc is all running fine, I put a battery in her today and tested the killswitch by putting my ear to its relay bit and I can hear it tick in and out so a good sign, now as for the engine and other areas to look at what would I need to do to get this baby running again?
Here are a few pics too:
https://img267.imageshack.us/g/img00357201008070714.jpg/
Thanks, Filip. |
Check the oil, pour in new fuel, new battery and crank it. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pieee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pieee Derestricted Danger
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:06 - 21 Aug 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Why not just check the oil and see if it starts? No use wasting time or money buying new bits for an engine you haven't heard running yet, no matter how 'honest' the previous owner was. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| radical |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 radical Spanner Monkey
Joined: 02 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Walloper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Walloper Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pieee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pieee Derestricted Danger
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Walloper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Walloper Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pits |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pits World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:43 - 24 Aug 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| pitslayer wrote: | Personally for me, even though it may cost a few quid to do.
Strip out the plugs
Pour a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug holes
Drain the old engine oil out
Pull filter off and replace
new oil and make sure you replace the sump plug washer with a copper one.
change all other fluids, gearbox,brakes etc.
seriously check over all hydraulic lines, feeling for brittleness, don't want a brake line exploding if they are hydraulic.
take carbs off and drain any fuel out and fire a load of carb cleaner in the float chamber and everywhere else.
Put a new battery on, and spin the bike over on the starter quickly.
Put plugs in, and spin over again.
Put HT leads on
Fill with new fuel and start.
If it doesn't work, you haven't really wasted any money as most of the stuff you replace, bar oils can be used on your other one. |
+1 this ........ I would also take the rocker covers off and splash a bit of oil around there as well before tuning it over. ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pieee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pieee Derestricted Danger
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:29 - 27 Aug 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I ended up trying to kick her over yesterday.
I put in a new battery then I poured a teaspoon of oil in the sparkies holes, then tried to kick her over, and nothing was happening silly me I forgot the fuses I put some new fuses in and she cranked a little but didnt start, so I drained the oil and took off the rocker covers so I could clean her up a bit on the inside, when I get a bit further I will post the details
I want to say thanks to everyone for all their suggestions they seem to really be helping the process along.
Thanks, Filip! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pieee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pieee Derestricted Danger
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|