Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


virgin HD question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 25 Aug 2010    Post subject: virgin HD question Reply with quote

I have virgin media cable tv, and have an old style box downstairs. I could do with another one for a tv upstairs.

I might as well get an HD one, as I will probably get an HD TV at some point and may be able to watch HD TV using a pc monitor in the mean time.

My question is, can i just buy a second hand virgin HD box off ebay, or is there some kind of installtion that needs to be done ?

I know I'll only get a few HD channels, and I know I wouldnt be able to use the recording facility of a HD box that can record, but otherwise, would i just be able to plug it in to use it ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 26 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to pay an extra £10 a month for a second box iirc, it's tagged onto the Virgin Media network so you can't just "plug and play", also since they rolled out Nag3 encryption you can't even buy a third party box and use a little trickery.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 26 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5 a month is on XL TV.

£75 for the "installation" if you move your current box to become a 2nd box, otherwise £150.

pretty sure virgin won't budge on these as i've tried a few times to get a second HD box (non-v+)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, but they are answers to slightly different questions.

I think they are wrong answers too.

I dont need a second card, as my current cable tv box works ok without the card, just limits what channels I can watch.

I dont think its £75 or £150 for the installation, as virgin says its £50.

https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/tv/v-hd-box.html

I think I'll just get their standard HD box as £50 isnt too bad, and the v+ boxes are probably only much better if you are using the recording, which I wont be able to without paying a monthly fee probably.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a standard box works out cheaper then go for that, I have a HD box with a HDTV, and flicking between the normal channels and their HD counterparts, I can't tell the difference. It's a con.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either virgin HD quality is awful (unlikely), or your TV or eyes are awful (more likely!).

HD is noticeably much better than SD, on my modest TV (32") and satellite HD anyway. It's annoying having to watch an SD channel after you've watched something on HD for a couple of hours.

The only channels that have 'HD counterparts' are Channel 4 and ITV1. DId you make sure that they were broadcasting in HD when you checked..? A lot of the time they transmit upscaled SD, if the program being shown hasn't been recorded in HD.

BBC HD, however, is proper HD 100% of the time.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 47.81 Kb