Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I made jam!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Sep 2010    Post subject: I made jam! Reply with quote

I got all my foraged gooseberries out of the freezer yesterday and decided to make use of them.

after much gooseberries, sugar,pectin, boiling and general messing about in the kitchen, I have jam Smile

the first batch was to thin and needed to be boiled down more.
I think the "art" is to boil down slowly and not have a raging boil going on.
the second batch has come out fine Thumbs Up Smile .
I am testing it right now, with toasted muffins, melted butter, and a cup of tea, at the same time I have Jah Wobble on the stereo.
It does`nt get much better than this Smile

Wow! something I did went right? Smile

Nom nom nom, all mine, nom nom nom Smile
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 27 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nan's orange marmalade ... to die for mmmmm Very Happy
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 27 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll taste even better if you can avoid scranning the lot for the next three or four months.

I made some hawe and elderberry jelly a couple of years ago. It was disappointingly bland so I shoved it in a cupboard. Tried it again a year later and it had turned a deep ruby red and tasted absolutely fantastic with a good balance of tartness to sweetness and complex tannin undertones. I've even been using it dissolved in hot water as a very pleasant drink (tastes like fruit teas smell).

'tis also rosehip syrup season. Rice pudding with rosehip syrup. Drooling

Actually. I need to get round to bottling my wine. Got some Wild bramble and some sloe. Bottled last years elderberry wine a couple of weeks ago. It tasted very promising. Should be ready for Christmas.

If you like doing preserves, try doing some pickled pears too.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 27 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If you like doing preserves, try doing some pickled pears too.


I quite like the idea of trying to do a chutney or a pickle? as we have quite a few onion fields around here, so they are not going to be in short supply.
we have LOADS of hedgerow apple trees around here also.
lastly, every man and his dog sells cheap home produce around here Smile (root crops & all types of veg).

So if you know of a very easy and simple recipie, i would be glad to know? Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 28 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a load of blackberry and chilli jam this year, tastes great on crackers with cream cheese Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickled pears. Couldn't be simpler.

You need to peel the pears first but I'd usually leave them whole with the stalk on (life's to short and they look good on the plate, also less likely to turn to mush). See if you can get cooking pears or the firmest desert pears you can find.

You need half the weight of pears in sugar and half the weight of sugar in vinegar (so say 2kg pears, 1kg sugar, 500ml vinegar).

Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over a low heat, then bung the pears in and put the lid on. Simmer until the pears are cooked and you have a lovely golden coloured syrup (my last lot, using very firm cooking pears, took a good 4 hours but it all depends on the fruit).

Don't worry about the seemingly tiny amount of liquid to start. The juices will seep out of the pears and combine with the sugar and vinegar to make enough liquid to cover them.

Bottle hot into sterilised jars then seal in a baine mairee.

Some people essentially boil the pears in spiced vinegary water (even Delia Smith does). This isn't really what you are trying to do, the fruit makes its own syrup, the vinegar is just there to get it started.

Use white wine vinegar or cider vinegar. You can bung cloves, cinamon and star anise in according to taste. I've even heard of peple putting some cardamon or corriander pods in there.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

we have LOADS of hedgerow apple trees around here also.


I do like crab apple jelly too. Also possibly the easiest jam/jelly to get to set. In fact, it's easy to over-do it and land up with something like rubber. Lots of recipes on the net.

Just remember DO NOT touch the jelly bag once it's filled or I 100% garauntee your jelly will be cloudy. My girlfriend is physically incapable of leaving a jelly bag alone to drip in its own time.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 28 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr Stinkwheel Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 28 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, Sainsbury are doing 4 x pears for .30p if you don't have fresh ones growing nearby.

Which reminds me, I need to go back down the little park near me, I found three apple trees growing wild down there. Plus should go and look for blackberries (ate loads on the walk last Saturday).
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Inkognito
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 28 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love gooseberry jam!

I keep looking for it every time i go shopping but the last one i found was a few years back now.
No idea why they thought it was a good idea to discontinue that as it's the best jam in the world!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:15 - 29 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aunt makes me gooseberry jam every year - this morning I will be mainly eating it with some nice warm croissant.........

.............before I set about a mammoth pile of rosehips that need preparing for rosehip syrup and an even mammotherer pile of sloes that need sorting for the vodka production line that has developed chez moi!! Shocked

I missed all the elderberries this year, as I just didn't have room for them. There have been heaps of blackberries and sloes and the freezer is packed full to give me a bit of breathing space in the kitchen before deciding what to do with them all!

When I finally get around to my garage re-arranging I'm thinking that I may have to try and squeeze another freezer out there!! Embarassed
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 29 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year, due to other commitments I end up missing most of the wild hedgerow harvest Sad .
But this year I was determind to get something out of it and I did.
I still have time for a few apple pies Smile
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:
pile of rosehips


I keep hearing about these, but don't know what they look like. I wouldn't want to go and collect a load then poison myself!!

My mate uses them in her latest new batch of amazing chocolates, by all accounts. But she lives oop norf so I can't just pop round. Sad
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 30 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I keep hearing about these, but don't know what they look like. I wouldn't want to go and collect a load then poison myself!!


Goodness, you've never lived!! I used to pick them as a child, split them open, then shove the itchy inside stuff down my brother's back - he'd be scratching and allergic for days!! Embarassed

Here you go some pics.........

Rosehips:
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/Tonkatoo_2008/IMGP1031.jpg


Sloes and Rosehips:
https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/Tonkatoo_2008/IMGP1034.jpg
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Tonka wrote:
pile of rosehips


I keep hearing about these, but don't know what they look like. I wouldn't want to go and collect a load then poison myself!!

My mate uses them in her latest new batch of amazing chocolates, by all accounts. But she lives oop norf so I can't just pop round. Sad


It's the fruit of the wild dog rose. The first clue is they grow on rose bushes, look for the curved thorns just like you get on the domestic rose, pretty distinctive.

Look at Tonkas picture, oval shaped orange to dark red fruit.

If you break it open (they are fairly tough unless very ripe), it's full of small seeds in a furry coating which, as Tonka correctly points out, are massively irritating if stuck down the back of your neck by an obnoxious child.

If you have the thorns, the red oval fruit and the multiple seeds in furry coating, they are rose hips. I can't think of any other plant that grows wild in the UK that has those features.

Then you can make rosehip syrup which is lovely (but a bit of a scutter to do). They used to make it during the war as a source of vitamin C for young children and pregnant ladies. School kids at rural schools were sent out picking rosehips as a means of supplimenting the schools income until relatively recently (ask anyone over the age of say 55 who went to a country school). They made it up in the school canteens.

Here is the original wartime recipe: LINK
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I've seen a whole load of them, thought they were poisonous though...Shocked

Actually today on my walk, I was happily munching along the hedgerows, and got to one batch of elderberry and lobbed a load in, and bleugh!!! Sick I had to spit them out, they had been sprayed with something nasty...

I kept spitting and rubbing my tongue with my hoodie sleeve all the way home. If I'm dead in the morning, you'll all know what did it!!!!

I tried Sloes today, they are quite bitter...are they supposed to be? Apart from stuffing them into gin or vodka, what else can be done with these?

If alive, I might go on a foraging session again tomorrow, but armed with bags this time. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Oh yeah I've seen a whole load of them, thought they were poisonous though...Shocked

Actually today on my walk, I was happily munching along the hedgerows, and got to one batch of elderberry and lobbed a load in, and bleugh!!! Sick I had to spit them out, they had been sprayed with something nasty...

I kept spitting and rubbing my tongue with my hoodie sleeve all the way home. If I'm dead in the morning, you'll all know what did it!!!!

I tried Sloes today, they are quite bitter...are they supposed to be? Apart from stuffing them into gin or vodka, what else can be done with these?

If alive, I might go on a foraging session again tomorrow, but armed with bags this time. Thumbs Up


Yes, sloes are mouth-crinklingly sour. You can make sloe jam or jelly that goes well with meat and you can make sloe wine.

You might be interested to hear that Hawes (the red berries on hawthorne bushes) are also edible. Don't taste of much, a bit like cold mashed potato and have a huge pip in the middle. Not really worth the effort but you can make jelly with them.

You can also eat rowans (very bitter taste but makes a reasonable wine).

Mind you. I never particularly liked the taste of fresh elderberries either.

In general, when foraging, avoid anything with waxy leaves unless you know exactly what it is. It is also worth making sure you can recognise deadly nightshade (black berries) and woody nightshade (red berries) because they can be tangled up in among the hedges. They are a soft, climbing plant with single, totally rounded berries (like tiny tomatoes, they are the same species) with a "star" of leaves round the base of it. Most of the berries you are picking are off a woody plant or bush rather than a vine.

Either of these are bad news. You didn't eat them earlier because you'd have been in hospital (at best) by now.
https://irrationalgeographic.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/deadly-nightshade.jpg
https://usm.maine.edu/~rabrams/DeadlyNightshade.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pics will show you why I asked the question about rosehips...

These are both grown on bush trees, not a thorn in sight, but VERY similar...
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. you will have guessed I made it through the night.

I also have seen some plants that look exactly the same as elderberry, same leaf, same bunching of the fruit, but bright red.

I didn't take a photo. But could you hazard a guess?
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right this thread has taken my interest.

I have never ever in my life eaten jam. I love strawberrys and the prospect of strawberry jam has always appealed to me. I'm a little bit worried that I'm going to eat it and it's a bit murrrghh.

I love mullar corner yogurts with the strawberry in it, is it anything like that lol.

I see the rosehips about all the time but the ones I see aren't oval they seem to be a bit more roundish, like miniture pumpkins. Like Tonka though we used to put them down each others backs.

I want to make jam now if it's nice lol.
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pic is Hawthorn - shape of leaf and the type of berries give that one away. Stinkwheel has noted above that you can do stuff with them but not very interesting.

Second one looks like the rosehips from a rosa rugosa - they are very podgy and round. Not sure if you can treat the in the same way as ordinary rosehips, but tbh they are froma rose, so cannot see any reason why not.

EDIT: Yep, Rosa Rugosa and hips can be used just the same as the Dog Rose Hips Thumbs Up
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:
First pic is Hawthorn - shape of leaf and the type of berries give that one away. Stinkwheel has noted above that you can do stuff with them but not very interesting.

Second one looks like the rosehips from a rosa rugosa - they are very podgy and round. Not sure if you can treat the in the same way as ordinary rosehips, but tbh they are froma rose, so cannot see any reason why not.

EDIT: Yep, Rosa Rugosa and hips can be used just the same as the Dog Rose Hips Thumbs Up


Spot on. Although I find the bigger rosehips almost always have a little grub living in them.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
p.s. you will have guessed I made it through the night.

I also have seen some plants that look exactly the same as elderberry, same leaf, same bunching of the fruit, but bright red.

I didn't take a photo. But could you hazard a guess?


Possibly rowan? Although if you look closely, the leaves are arranged differently.

Here's a useful link for identifying trees:
https://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Typically they are called Red Elderberry!!!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 140.23 Kb