|
|
| Author |
Message |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:42 - 27 Sep 2010 Post subject: I made jam! |
 |
|
I got all my foraged gooseberries out of the freezer yesterday and decided to make use of them.
after much gooseberries, sugar,pectin, boiling and general messing about in the kitchen, I have jam
the first batch was to thin and needed to be boiled down more.
I think the "art" is to boil down slowly and not have a raging boil going on.
the second batch has come out fine .
I am testing it right now, with toasted muffins, melted butter, and a cup of tea, at the same time I have Jah Wobble on the stereo.
It does`nt get much better than this
Wow! something I did went right?
Nom nom nom, all mine, nom nom nom  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| N cee thirty |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 N cee thirty Banned

Joined: 31 Jan 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:55 - 27 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
my mum made plum jam the other year and it was meh
nothing beats strawberry  ____________________ '00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30 Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
Jewlio Iglesias wrote: I actually did vote BNP once |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:53 - 27 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
my nan's orange marmalade ... to die for mmmmm  ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:54 - 27 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
It'll taste even better if you can avoid scranning the lot for the next three or four months.
I made some hawe and elderberry jelly a couple of years ago. It was disappointingly bland so I shoved it in a cupboard. Tried it again a year later and it had turned a deep ruby red and tasted absolutely fantastic with a good balance of tartness to sweetness and complex tannin undertones. I've even been using it dissolved in hot water as a very pleasant drink (tastes like fruit teas smell).
'tis also rosehip syrup season. Rice pudding with rosehip syrup.
Actually. I need to get round to bottling my wine. Got some Wild bramble and some sloe. Bottled last years elderberry wine a couple of weeks ago. It tasted very promising. Should be ready for Christmas.
If you like doing preserves, try doing some pickled pears too. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Codemonkey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Codemonkey Crazy Courier

Joined: 18 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:37 - 28 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I made a load of blackberry and chilli jam this year, tastes great on crackers with cream cheese  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:24 - 28 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Pickled pears. Couldn't be simpler.
You need to peel the pears first but I'd usually leave them whole with the stalk on (life's to short and they look good on the plate, also less likely to turn to mush). See if you can get cooking pears or the firmest desert pears you can find.
You need half the weight of pears in sugar and half the weight of sugar in vinegar (so say 2kg pears, 1kg sugar, 500ml vinegar).
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over a low heat, then bung the pears in and put the lid on. Simmer until the pears are cooked and you have a lovely golden coloured syrup (my last lot, using very firm cooking pears, took a good 4 hours but it all depends on the fruit).
Don't worry about the seemingly tiny amount of liquid to start. The juices will seep out of the pears and combine with the sugar and vinegar to make enough liquid to cover them.
Bottle hot into sterilised jars then seal in a baine mairee.
Some people essentially boil the pears in spiced vinegary water (even Delia Smith does). This isn't really what you are trying to do, the fruit makes its own syrup, the vinegar is just there to get it started.
Use white wine vinegar or cider vinegar. You can bung cloves, cinamon and star anise in according to taste. I've even heard of peple putting some cardamon or corriander pods in there. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:35 - 28 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thank you Mr Stinkwheel  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Inkognito |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Inkognito Brolly Dolly
Joined: 12 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:15 - 29 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
My Aunt makes me gooseberry jam every year - this morning I will be mainly eating it with some nice warm croissant.........
.............before I set about a mammoth pile of rosehips that need preparing for rosehip syrup and an even mammotherer pile of sloes that need sorting for the vodka production line that has developed chez moi!!
I missed all the elderberries this year, as I just didn't have room for them. There have been heaps of blackberries and sloes and the freezer is packed full to give me a bit of breathing space in the kitchen before deciding what to do with them all!
When I finally get around to my garage re-arranging I'm thinking that I may have to try and squeeze another freezer out there!!  ____________________ 'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:46 - 29 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Every year, due to other commitments I end up missing most of the wild hedgerow harvest .
But this year I was determind to get something out of it and I did.
I still have time for a few apple pies  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:28 - 30 Sep 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Clanger wrote: | | Tonka wrote: | pile of rosehips |
I keep hearing about these, but don't know what they look like. I wouldn't want to go and collect a load then poison myself!!
My mate uses them in her latest new batch of amazing chocolates, by all accounts. But she lives oop norf so I can't just pop round.  |
It's the fruit of the wild dog rose. The first clue is they grow on rose bushes, look for the curved thorns just like you get on the domestic rose, pretty distinctive.
Look at Tonkas picture, oval shaped orange to dark red fruit.
If you break it open (they are fairly tough unless very ripe), it's full of small seeds in a furry coating which, as Tonka correctly points out, are massively irritating if stuck down the back of your neck by an obnoxious child.
If you have the thorns, the red oval fruit and the multiple seeds in furry coating, they are rose hips. I can't think of any other plant that grows wild in the UK that has those features.
Then you can make rosehip syrup which is lovely (but a bit of a scutter to do). They used to make it during the war as a source of vitamin C for young children and pregnant ladies. School kids at rural schools were sent out picking rosehips as a means of supplimenting the schools income until relatively recently (ask anyone over the age of say 55 who went to a country school). They made it up in the school canteens.
Here is the original wartime recipe: LINK ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:38 - 02 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh yeah I've seen a whole load of them, thought they were poisonous though...
Actually today on my walk, I was happily munching along the hedgerows, and got to one batch of elderberry and lobbed a load in, and bleugh!!! I had to spit them out, they had been sprayed with something nasty...
I kept spitting and rubbing my tongue with my hoodie sleeve all the way home. If I'm dead in the morning, you'll all know what did it!!!!
I tried Sloes today, they are quite bitter...are they supposed to be? Apart from stuffing them into gin or vodka, what else can be done with these?
If alive, I might go on a foraging session again tomorrow, but armed with bags this time.  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:05 - 03 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Clanger wrote: | Oh yeah I've seen a whole load of them, thought they were poisonous though...
Actually today on my walk, I was happily munching along the hedgerows, and got to one batch of elderberry and lobbed a load in, and bleugh!!!  I had to spit them out, they had been sprayed with something nasty...
I kept spitting and rubbing my tongue with my hoodie sleeve all the way home. If I'm dead in the morning, you'll all know what did it!!!!
I tried Sloes today, they are quite bitter...are they supposed to be? Apart from stuffing them into gin or vodka, what else can be done with these?
If alive, I might go on a foraging session again tomorrow, but armed with bags this time.  |
Yes, sloes are mouth-crinklingly sour. You can make sloe jam or jelly that goes well with meat and you can make sloe wine.
You might be interested to hear that Hawes (the red berries on hawthorne bushes) are also edible. Don't taste of much, a bit like cold mashed potato and have a huge pip in the middle. Not really worth the effort but you can make jelly with them.
You can also eat rowans (very bitter taste but makes a reasonable wine).
Mind you. I never particularly liked the taste of fresh elderberries either.
In general, when foraging, avoid anything with waxy leaves unless you know exactly what it is. It is also worth making sure you can recognise deadly nightshade (black berries) and woody nightshade (red berries) because they can be tangled up in among the hedges. They are a soft, climbing plant with single, totally rounded berries (like tiny tomatoes, they are the same species) with a "star" of leaves round the base of it. Most of the berries you are picking are off a woody plant or bush rather than a vine.
Either of these are bad news. You didn't eat them earlier because you'd have been in hospital (at best) by now.
https://irrationalgeographic.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/deadly-nightshade.jpg
https://usm.maine.edu/~rabrams/DeadlyNightshade.jpg ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Carl_steveo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Carl_steveo World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:55 - 03 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
First pic is Hawthorn - shape of leaf and the type of berries give that one away. Stinkwheel has noted above that you can do stuff with them but not very interesting.
Second one looks like the rosehips from a rosa rugosa - they are very podgy and round. Not sure if you can treat the in the same way as ordinary rosehips, but tbh they are froma rose, so cannot see any reason why not.
EDIT: Yep, Rosa Rugosa and hips can be used just the same as the Dog Rose Hips  ____________________ 'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:19 - 03 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Tonka wrote: | First pic is Hawthorn - shape of leaf and the type of berries give that one away. Stinkwheel has noted above that you can do stuff with them but not very interesting.
Second one looks like the rosehips from a rosa rugosa - they are very podgy and round. Not sure if you can treat the in the same way as ordinary rosehips, but tbh they are froma rose, so cannot see any reason why not.
EDIT: Yep, Rosa Rugosa and hips can be used just the same as the Dog Rose Hips  |
Spot on. Although I find the bigger rosehips almost always have a little grub living in them. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|