Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Master Cylinder Leaking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Master Cylinder Leaking Reply with quote

Hi,

Front master cylinder is leaking from the rubber lip/gasket thingy. If I change that rubber piece would it solve the problem?


https://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7899/mcyl.jpg

Cheers.
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy master cylinder rebuild kits.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
You can buy master cylinder rebuild kits.


They cost 18 quid and I haven't got a snap on clip remover tool. Second hand master cylinder costs 20 quid.
Or I can order a rubber piece "if" it is the only thing sealing the mechanism. Is it?
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean circlip pliers.

The rubber thing is just a boot, it will be leaking from the seal behind that on the piston.

Second hanc m/c could leak within a week. Id fix it properly to be honest, circlip pliers can be bought for less than a fiver.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

calyx wrote:
Joe wrote:
You can buy master cylinder rebuild kits.


They cost 18 quid and I haven't got a snap on clip remover tool. Second hand master cylinder costs 20 quid.
Or I can order a rubber piece "if" it is the only thing sealing the mechanism. Is it?


You often cant get circlip pliers in the rebate anyway, but they should pop out with a 'pointy' thing applied in the correct manner.

Did a How-To for it on snowies CB125, HOW To: Overhaul a Brake Master Cylinder / Replace Master Cylinder Seals

Fiddly, but not difficult. Care & Clendliness is the key.

As for the ecconomics, personally I'd do the overhaul kit rather than a 2nd hand master cylinder. You just dont know what state the seals in the 2nd hand part are in, or how long its sat 'dry' with no fluid in it, and the big worry is, that as sson as you plumb it in and pump new fluid through it, you'll push the piston into a region of travel its not been operating in for a long time, if at all, and will stick or snag on wear or accumulated crud.

Overhaul kit, is cheaper, and makes the part 'like new' so you can have more confidence in it being good, working like it should and lasting, all for the sake of a little careful effort and attension.

Trying to think, apart from the circlip pliers that didn't fit anyway on that one, dont think I used any specialist tools. Back end of a drill bit to hold the piston back while I removed teh circlip with a pointy thing (test pen in my case), and I think a screw-driver was about it!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Million thanks for the replies. I'll definitely rebuild it myself.
Luckily I found an old master cylinder in the loft. Now I can practice without damaging anything.
I'll report in here.
Cheers.
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pliers from pound shop today to do the job (don't buy cheap tools)
Well, it took me a good 45 minutes to take off the snap on clip thing. In case you missed; "DON'T BUY CHEAP TOOLS" Black Eye

Anyway, it was a bit rusty. Seals were good so I gave it a good clean, whacked back into the bike. No leaks!

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

calyx wrote:
I got a pliers from pound shop today to do the job (don't buy cheap tools)
Well, it took me a good 45 minutes to take off the snap on clip thing. In case you missed; "DON'T BUY CHEAP TOOLS" Black Eye

Anyway, it was a bit rusty. Seals were good so I gave it a good clean, whacked back into the bike. No leaks!

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.


Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
NEVER re-use old seals in abrake system!

It was probably snagging on some crud in the cylinder, that cleaning has removed, but seals in the brake system are designed 'under-size' so that you can fit them easily, and solvents in the brake fluid swell them to make them seal.
If you have removed the seal, you'll have taken the tension off it & distorted it to squash it back into the cylinder, and now its already swelled, it wont swell any more to provide the same sealing pressure.

Bit pinickity, but basically, now disturbed you might actually promote a failure, and on brakes, especially the front one, that is NOT a risk I recon worth taking.

Get your overhaul kit ASAP and do the job properly with all new seals for piece of mind, mate!

DONT die through ignorance or the saving of a few pence!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 265 days between these two posts...

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update after 9 months!

I got a brand new oem master cylinder repair kit. (as teflon mike suggested) It was good for around 3 months. Then started to leak again. (1 drop in 1 month).
I didn't give a shit and kept riding to be honest.
Anyway, last week I opened it up and it was rusty again and bleeding the brakes took longer than usual as I was pumping air into the system by pulling the lever.

Seems like my master cylinder is/was buggered. Shopping time it is! Laughing
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 65.97 Kb