|
|
| Author |
Message |
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:18 - 24 Oct 2010 Post subject: Master Cylinder Leaking |
 |
|
Hi,
Front master cylinder is leaking from the rubber lip/gasket thingy. If I change that rubber piece would it solve the problem?
https://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7899/mcyl.jpg
Cheers. ____________________ Boris - London |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fisty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fisty Super Spammer

Joined: 11 Apr 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:12 - 24 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| calyx wrote: | | Joe wrote: | You can buy master cylinder rebuild kits. |
They cost 18 quid and I haven't got a snap on clip remover tool. Second hand master cylinder costs 20 quid.
Or I can order a rubber piece "if" it is the only thing sealing the mechanism. Is it? |
You often cant get circlip pliers in the rebate anyway, but they should pop out with a 'pointy' thing applied in the correct manner.
Did a How-To for it on snowies CB125, HOW To: Overhaul a Brake Master Cylinder / Replace Master Cylinder Seals
Fiddly, but not difficult. Care & Clendliness is the key.
As for the ecconomics, personally I'd do the overhaul kit rather than a 2nd hand master cylinder. You just dont know what state the seals in the 2nd hand part are in, or how long its sat 'dry' with no fluid in it, and the big worry is, that as sson as you plumb it in and pump new fluid through it, you'll push the piston into a region of travel its not been operating in for a long time, if at all, and will stick or snag on wear or accumulated crud.
Overhaul kit, is cheaper, and makes the part 'like new' so you can have more confidence in it being good, working like it should and lasting, all for the sake of a little careful effort and attension.
Trying to think, apart from the circlip pliers that didn't fit anyway on that one, dont think I used any specialist tools. Back end of a drill bit to hold the piston back while I removed teh circlip with a pointy thing (test pen in my case), and I think a screw-driver was about it! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:10 - 25 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got a pliers from pound shop today to do the job (don't buy cheap tools)
Well, it took me a good 45 minutes to take off the snap on clip thing. In case you missed; "DON'T BUY CHEAP TOOLS"
Anyway, it was a bit rusty. Seals were good so I gave it a good clean, whacked back into the bike. No leaks!
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. ____________________ Boris - London |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:29 - 26 Oct 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| calyx wrote: | I got a pliers from pound shop today to do the job (don't buy cheap tools)
Well, it took me a good 45 minutes to take off the snap on clip thing. In case you missed; "DON'T BUY CHEAP TOOLS"
Anyway, it was a bit rusty. Seals were good so I gave it a good clean, whacked back into the bike. No leaks!
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. |
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
NEVER re-use old seals in abrake system!
It was probably snagging on some crud in the cylinder, that cleaning has removed, but seals in the brake system are designed 'under-size' so that you can fit them easily, and solvents in the brake fluid swell them to make them seal.
If you have removed the seal, you'll have taken the tension off it & distorted it to squash it back into the cylinder, and now its already swelled, it wont swell any more to provide the same sealing pressure.
Bit pinickity, but basically, now disturbed you might actually promote a failure, and on brakes, especially the front one, that is NOT a risk I recon worth taking.
Get your overhaul kit ASAP and do the job properly with all new seals for piece of mind, mate!
DONT die through ignorance or the saving of a few pence! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
There is a gap of 265 days between these two posts... |
 |
|
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:26 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Update after 9 months!
I got a brand new oem master cylinder repair kit. (as teflon mike suggested) It was good for around 3 months. Then started to leak again. (1 drop in 1 month).
I didn't give a shit and kept riding to be honest.
Anyway, last week I opened it up and it was rusty again and bleeding the brakes took longer than usual as I was pumping air into the system by pulling the lever.
Seems like my master cylinder is/was buggered. Shopping time it is!  ____________________ Boris - London |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|