Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Low sun and accidents, an argument for legal dark visors?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Low sun and accidents, an argument for legal dark visors? Reply with quote

I've just seen this article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8094066/Dazzling-road-safety-danger-exposed.html

And I remember a few years back that someone (T.C maybe?) was doing a study into accidents caused by dazzling sunlight. Perhaps the contents of this article could provide ammunition for those of us who want to legalise dark visors?

An interesting thought anyway...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

At about 7.45 the other morning I was riding facing the sun and I litteraly couldn't see for shit, I had to use one hand to try and block the sun which wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't such a bumpy road!

I can guarentee if a police officer wanted to he could of easily had a moan about me not using both hands too! Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually been done for a dark visor?

I'm talking during the daytime, and not added to a list of other stuff like a tiny plate, race can, ropey riding...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past week or so, the sun has been incredibly bright when it gets towards setting. Accidentally looked at it and I couldn’t see properly for a few mins! I have never been stopped for wearing a dark visor, even at night. Been using one for almost four years now.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pop my tinted visor on when the sun is low. The police can pull me if they want because I have my standard one with me in my topbox (because I need it for the next morning). Not an issue any more though as I go to the work in the dark and come home in the dark.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wear cheap sun glasses Confused Might not look as cool as a tinted visor but does the job.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeanIt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

HisInfernalDRZ wrote:
I just wear cheap sun glasses Confused Might not look as cool as a tinted visor but does the job.


Me too. But they can injure you in a crash.

It's good in the summer too, you can raise the visor to let some air in and still have something over your eyes.

Swings and roundabouts really.
____________________
Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you eat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Has anyone actually been done for a dark visor?

I'm talking during the daytime, and not added to a list of other stuff like a tiny plate, race can, ropey riding...


Nope and ive even left the not for road use sticker on mine.
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really work for me.

Commuting in the morning is often worse than in the evening, due to the time I head out for work, and the fact that in the morning it's getting lighter, rather than darker.

However, even though I have been tempted to wear my dark visor for commuting, I can't be bothered to take a clear visor for the ride home when the light's decreasing. My commute is long enough that by the time I'm home, the sun's gone down completely.

It is a nuisance with the low sun this time of year, but I've found a pair of sunglasses under a clear visor offer the best compromise. The conditions change quite quickly in winter as well, and it's easier to change a pair of sunglasses than a whole visor (I've managed to do it when riding a couple of times, as well as when stopped at traffic lights, etc).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find flipping my sun visor down (I wear a Caberg) doesn't make a tit's worth of difference to how well I can see against low sun. Just gives me the same glare but darker.

Now an off-road lid style peak, that would cure it for me. I find if I put my left hand above the visor acting as a peak I can see alright, much the same effect as flipping down your sun visor in the car.

EDIT: Also in the last paragraph of that article, I find the looking away from people who leave their main beam on and looking at the road from the corner of your eyes works well for me.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear EN166 "sports" sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses. I'm pondering a lid with a flip down sun visor (Caberg Trip stylee) but I suspect that would compromise the structural integrity of the hull. And then come the Klingons.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:43 - 29 Oct 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

HisInfernalDRZ wrote:
I just wear cheap sun glasses Confused Might not look as cool as a tinted visor but does the job.


Crap if you already wear glasses tho, unless you shell out for prescription lenses.
____________________
Prize cunt
--
"In a world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already said this before in quite a few threads but when I did my Bike Safe the Police there said they wouldn't worry about tinted visors in the day and said they would use discretion - the offence in their opinion was aimed more at inappropriate or night time use.

To get around carrying an extra visor I've got a tinted Pinlock which is simple to carry in the waistband of my trousers if I can't get it on the bike. I find I have almost as much trouble with the glare from wet tarmac as the sun being low in the sky.
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found works well is some tape over the top part of the visor.
If you mark the visor a bit, and then check on the bike how much of the visor you look through you will find maybe the top inch you never use. This is where you will get most of the sun through as well.
Tape it up and it solves the problem.

Or if you have a drop down inner visor, drop it down enough to cover the top part of the visor. Just takes the strength out of the sun.

The issue I have with dark tinted visors is they don't stop the glare., unless they have started to make polarised ones. And when you go out of the sun, because of the dark tint. Your eyes are already quite dilated and going into a dark area means you have very restricted vison.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old's your visor?
How scratched?
Be honest.....
But, far more important to how well you can see than whether its tinted or not.
Every fleck of muck, every little scratch created glare.
I dont have propper stats, but when I had the shop, about 905 of the people that walked through the door had visors that were, dirty, scratched, or completely fucked.
Always amazed me how people would spend hundreds of quid on top line helmets or protective riding kit, but WOULDN'T spend a tenner on a new visor, now and again....
Always some excuse... "Oh, its all right, I'll polish it when I get home" or "Yeah, but I'm saving for a new lid" or, whatever....
Flogging hats & Jackets, when people used to ask if I'd do a deal, rather than knock money of the price, I'd chuck in either a new visor (legal tint, if they were buying a new hat) or a little widget I dont know if you can still get, called a 'Wee-Willy'... little pumpy-squirt bottle, about 25cc or so, with a car windscreen wiper blade glued on the side, wrapped in a duster, pocket size visor cleaning kit... brilliant bit of kit!
Makes much more difference than fancy yellow lense anti-glare specs or iridium tints that simply filter the amount of light gets to your retina....
Clean the visor, get the LOT & let the wonders of nature do the rest!
Your eye is a brilliant device!
Getting technical on you, the iris in your eye works like a camera appature control.
In bright light the hole in the midle of your eye gets smaller to let less light in, when its dimmer, it opens to let more in.
NOW, when the iris is wide open, for dim light conditions, it reduces the 'depth of focus', or the distance infront and hbehind the 'subject' you are focussing on, thats also in focus.
So, put a tint infront of your eye, it artificially reduces the light level, so your iris opens, deminishing your depth perception.......
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

HisInfernalDRZ wrote:
I just wear cheap sun glasses Confused Might not look as cool as a tinted visor but does the job.


The good thing about visors are that you don't have to keep re-adjusting them, they stay put the whole time. I have lost count the amount of times when out and about, when my shades ride up my face.

I don't stop at the side of the road to fix them either, I usually have a hand in my face sorting them out. Not at all practical, and probably a bit stupid...but perfectly legal!!!! Rolling Eyes
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine never move since they're pretty much wedged between the helmet and my head Razz
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
What I have found works well is some tape over the top part of the visor.


This is proper advice. Thanks mate.
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

React-a-light visors Question Do they exist?
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:03 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeanIt wrote:
Me too. But they can injure you in a crash.



Can they? Can you back this up with figures/statistics?
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
React-a-light visors Question Do they exist?


Yeah but they're shit. (you can buy inserts that do it)

Needs someone to take spectacle photochromic technology and apply it to a motorcycle visor with a proper tint.

I use an inbuilt sunshield but its not 100% and you can't fogcity it so at low speeds while the main visor is fogfree if I drop the shield it'll be opaque in seconds.
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:54 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
What I have found works well is some tape over the top part of the visor.
If you mark the visor a bit, and then check on the bike how much of the visor you look through you will find maybe the top inch you never use. This is where you will get most of the sun through as well.
Tape it up and it solves the problem.

Or if you have a drop down inner visor, drop it down enough to cover the top part of the visor. Just takes the strength out of the sun.



+1

This is what I do if/when the sun gets too bad Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeanIt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:29 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yambabe wrote:
LeanIt wrote:
Me too. But they can injure you in a crash.



Can they? Can you back this up with figures/statistics?


Only from other members posts on here that have crashed and you can see the bruising from where their glasses were.
____________________
Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you eat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

theopj
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
What I have found works well is some tape over the top part of the visor.
If you mark the visor a bit, and then check on the bike how much of the visor you look through you will find maybe the top inch you never use. This is where you will get most of the sun through as well.
Tape it up and it solves the problem.


+1. If you have a pinlock you never really look above that, so I tape mine down to that level and it helps alot - sometimes still have to tilt your head futher forward to cut out the sun if its really bright though.
____________________
Suzuki Bandit SA 1250 & Honda CB750F2T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more annoying when it's low sun with a wet road, and it reflects off the wet tarmac, no amount of making a peak will stop it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.38 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.21 Kb