Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Now I'm really confused!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Crystal Tipps
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Now I'm really confused! Reply with quote

Having recently passed my test I went out to look at bikes today, and am now really confused! Having looked at them, sat on them, and read reviews about them I'm still not sure what I want Confused

I like the price of the SV650s, but not so sure about the riding position.

Feel at home on the ER6 as I learned on an ER5, but what I've seen today I can't afford Sad

Started off by wanting to stick with Honda due to reliability, but at the same time not really wanting a CBR as loads of people have them! Again what I saw today are all way too expensive anyway.

Came home & took the CG out for a spin...

Ahh, what a dilemma. Planning to go back again tomorrow and take out the SV650 to see what it's like.
____________________
First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are unsure of the riding position, think REALLY carefully about it.

The SV has a bit of a reputation for people either loving or hating (ow my wrists) the riding position.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Take your time and don't rush into anything. OK, you might miss a few winters rides (but you still have the CG so maybe not) and the prices will probably get a tad cheaper over the next 2 months while you decide.

Not sure if you are contemplating new or 2nd hand, but there are other bikes to consider. 600 Hornet or Bandit. Suzuki 600 Teapot. ER5, GPZ500. CB500. 600 Fazer.

It is one good thing for places like D&K. They have plenty of 2nd hand stock to wander round and see what grabs your fancy (just do not be pressurised into buying anything).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crystal Tipps
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are unsure of the riding position, think REALLY carefully about it.


That's exactly what I was thinking...I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like. Someone told me they are under rated, and are a fantastic bike, but it has to be right for me, doesn't it!


Quote:
Not sure if you are contemplating new or 2nd hand, but there are other bikes to consider. 600 Hornet or Bandit. Suzuki 600 Teapot. ER5, GPZ500. CB500. 600 Fazer.


Thanks for your advice too, Keith. I'm definately going for 2nd hand, and yes the Hornet, Bandit & Fazer were all in my mind to consider as well, just haven't seen any close up enough to try yet Wink

Won't be getting rid of the CG at all, as I may still use that for getting to work as it's a very short journey, and my partner is going to start using it in the spring, as he's done his CBT, bought all the gear, but has no interest in going any further than a 125cc.
____________________
First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the Sv 650! I sat on one on saturday and it was waaay too small for me. Although i am 6ft 4 so i'll struggle to find a bike that really fits me anyway Sad

Others on my list include Fazer 600 (The old style one), Kwaka zx6r (Probably waay to small aswell Rolling Eyes ) and the cbr600f.

My personal opinion at the moment is the cbr as they get great reviews and are probably a little more suited to my height, apart from the fazer ofcourse.

I'd seriously consider the fazer if i was in your position, the only thing i'm not so keen on is the fairing. I think it looks a bit too 'vertical' at the front, although it'd offer great wind protection.
Plus, everyone seems to have one Laughing
____________________
First bike: 1982 Suzuki Gs 125 'The beast MK1' Wink > 1988 Honda Cb 350's' FOR SPORT! (Good ol' oil burner!) > 2001 Suzuki Sv 650 's' Made it out of the 80's! > 1997 Honda Cbr 600f :p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no rush, no matter how strong the "need" is. Jodie and I passed in August and we're still looking for the right bikes.

George Whites in Swindon has amazing deals on Suzukis at the moment (but the finance is horrible) and good finance on Kawazakis (but the prices are high).

It's a nightmare.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work out what kind of money you have to spend on a bike and go second hand.

If you like the EN6 with its sit up position then why not try a few bikes along the same lines. Suzuki Bandit. Honda's Hornet and the Yamaha XJ or FZ.

They all have the same kind of riding position.

The SV is a very well recieved bike because its apparently easy to ride and a reliable "first big bike" There must be some truth in it because of its sheer popularity in that market. I myself have toyed with the idea of getting one but decided on the VTR thou instead because I'm a hooligan!

If you dont like the riding position of the SV then you may find yourself ruling out the sports bikes. The SV has a slightly more upright position but with the clip on bars it is still pretty forward.

Besides. Part of the fun is looking for bikes so enjoy the time spent looking for a bike rather than stressing out and worrying.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nokiakeys
Token



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically sit and test as many as you can... you don't want to buy one and after a week find out that you hate it.

like they say: measure twice, cut once.... in this case test 15, buy once Very Happy
Crystal Tipps wrote:
and my partner is going to start using it in the spring, as he's done his CBT, bought all the gear, but has no interest in going any further than a 125cc.

He say's that now, but wait untill he see you on your new bike, he'll want to move up fast
____________________
CBT: 04/2010 -> Theory: 09/2010 -> MOD1 & 2: 10/2010 (That's right baby, both on same day)
Honda CBF125 -> Honda CB600FS Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Crystal Tipps
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He say's that now, but wait untill he see you on your new bike, he'll want to move up fast


LOL, he's only ever seen me on my CG so he reckons any "big" bike looks way too big for me!!
____________________
First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jodie
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean Crystal about the SV650s.

Nexus dragged me to the George White sale Saturday (kicking and screaming of course) and I could've walked away with a brand new one for £3999 on if I had the cash, a white one with the navy viper stripe mmm. They also had a brand spanker Bandit for £3999 too grrr.

Glad I didn't have the bobs in a way cos every time I sit on one of these beauties I feel an instant strain on my back as I'm not the tallest Evil or Very Mad

Still not tried the unsporty SV but the Gladius seems comfy but unfortunately still pricey, fave still is ER6 too.

Good luck hunting Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:27 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV is popular because you learn to ride and then feel ashamed of your 125/500 parked up next to huge, elegant Gixxers/R6s/Ducatis and you then see a faired SV and think wow it's almost as good, and it's so cheap too!

(I admit that was part of the reason I thought it was cool, it looks the part somewhat)
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Crystal Tipps
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been to another dealer and seen/sat on some different bikes. Now I discover that the Hornet is a bit higher than I realised, and although I can still reach the ground with both feet it would take some getting used to. However, I understand from other threads on here that lowering it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I also tried a Bandit which had already been lowered by the previous owner, and I definitely felt more at home on that and the Hornet than the SV.

Then this second dealer threw in the 0% finance deal option, as I said I think I need to save up a bit more to have enough to buy what I'd really like...never believed this was actually a REAL option before, but now although convinced it exists I still don't think I can justify buying a new bike. It doesn't quite sit right with me!

Still, it's something else to add into the mix Smile

Not seen another ER6 yet since the 10 plate one in the first dealer last week. A trip to the next town may be in order as they have a Kawasaki dealership there Wink
____________________
First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal Tipps wrote:
Well I've been to another dealer and seen/sat on some different bikes. Now I discover that the Hornet is a bit higher than I realised, and although I can still reach the ground with both feet it would take some getting used to. However, I understand from other threads on here that lowering it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I also tried a Bandit which had already been lowered by the previous owner, and I definitely felt more at home on that and the Hornet than the SV.

Then this second dealer threw in the 0% finance deal option, as I said I think I need to save up a bit more to have enough to buy what I'd really like...never believed this was actually a REAL option before, but now although convinced it exists I still don't think I can justify buying a new bike. It doesn't quite sit right with me!

Still, it's something else to add into the mix Smile

Not seen another ER6 yet since the 10 plate one in the first dealer last week. A trip to the next town may be in order as they have a Kawasaki dealership there Wink


I went on 0% with my yamaha xj6-s diversion. Looks miles better than the competition imo, and is a damn lovely ride.
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a SVs (the faired version with clip on bars) to a ZX-6R and when I sat on the SV after about a week on the ZX it felt like I was sat in an arm chair lol.

Its a great bike, good for beginners but still a great hooligan bike really, plenty fast enough up til 100, get an aftermarket can an take out the baffle etc plus the upside of being able to red line the thing in virtually every gear with out the worry of prison speeds makes it really fun.... Cool Twisted Evil

But I did find my self wanting a tad bit more, you got to 9k (peak power) and there was nothing left, where as a IL4 is just entering warp speed..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 94.08 Kb