|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Crystal Tipps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crystal Tipps Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 May 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:35 - 02 Nov 2010 Post subject: Now I'm really confused! |
 |
|
Having recently passed my test I went out to look at bikes today, and am now really confused! Having looked at them, sat on them, and read reviews about them I'm still not sure what I want
I like the price of the SV650s, but not so sure about the riding position.
Feel at home on the ER6 as I learned on an ER5, but what I've seen today I can't afford
Started off by wanting to stick with Honda due to reliability, but at the same time not really wanting a CBR as loads of people have them! Again what I saw today are all way too expensive anyway.
Came home & took the CG out for a spin...
Ahh, what a dilemma. Planning to go back again tomorrow and take out the SV650 to see what it's like. ____________________ First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:09 - 02 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you are unsure of the riding position, think REALLY carefully about it.
The SV has a bit of a reputation for people either loving or hating (ow my wrists) the riding position. ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:16 - 02 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Take your time and don't rush into anything. OK, you might miss a few winters rides (but you still have the CG so maybe not) and the prices will probably get a tad cheaper over the next 2 months while you decide.
Not sure if you are contemplating new or 2nd hand, but there are other bikes to consider. 600 Hornet or Bandit. Suzuki 600 Teapot. ER5, GPZ500. CB500. 600 Fazer.
It is one good thing for places like D&K. They have plenty of 2nd hand stock to wander round and see what grabs your fancy (just do not be pressurised into buying anything).
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crystal Tipps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crystal Tipps Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 May 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:03 - 02 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Quote: | If you are unsure of the riding position, think REALLY carefully about it. |
That's exactly what I was thinking...I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like. Someone told me they are under rated, and are a fantastic bike, but it has to be right for me, doesn't it!
| Quote: | Not sure if you are contemplating new or 2nd hand, but there are other bikes to consider. 600 Hornet or Bandit. Suzuki 600 Teapot. ER5, GPZ500. CB500. 600 Fazer. |
Thanks for your advice too, Keith. I'm definately going for 2nd hand, and yes the Hornet, Bandit & Fazer were all in my mind to consider as well, just haven't seen any close up enough to try yet
Won't be getting rid of the CG at all, as I may still use that for getting to work as it's a very short journey, and my partner is going to start using it in the spring, as he's done his CBT, bought all the gear, but has no interest in going any further than a 125cc. ____________________ First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rob_scott92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rob_scott92 Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:15 - 02 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know what you mean about the Sv 650! I sat on one on saturday and it was waaay too small for me. Although i am 6ft 4 so i'll struggle to find a bike that really fits me anyway
Others on my list include Fazer 600 (The old style one), Kwaka zx6r (Probably waay to small aswell ) and the cbr600f.
My personal opinion at the moment is the cbr as they get great reviews and are probably a little more suited to my height, apart from the fazer ofcourse.
I'd seriously consider the fazer if i was in your position, the only thing i'm not so keen on is the fairing. I think it looks a bit too 'vertical' at the front, although it'd offer great wind protection.
Plus, everyone seems to have one  ____________________ First bike: 1982 Suzuki Gs 125 'The beast MK1' > 1988 Honda Cb 350's' FOR SPORT! (Good ol' oil burner!) > 2001 Suzuki Sv 650 's' Made it out of the 80's! > 1997 Honda Cbr 600f :p |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nexus Icon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nexus Icon World Chat Champion
Joined: 26 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nokiakeys |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nokiakeys Token

Joined: 05 Oct 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crystal Tipps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crystal Tipps Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 May 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jodie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jodie Crazy Courier

Joined: 16 Jun 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:18 - 02 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know exactly what you mean Crystal about the SV650s.
Nexus dragged me to the George White sale Saturday (kicking and screaming of course) and I could've walked away with a brand new one for £3999 on if I had the cash, a white one with the navy viper stripe mmm. They also had a brand spanker Bandit for £3999 too grrr.
Glad I didn't have the bobs in a way cos every time I sit on one of these beauties I feel an instant strain on my back as I'm not the tallest
Still not tried the unsporty SV but the Gladius seems comfy but unfortunately still pricey, fave still is ER6 too.
Good luck hunting  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:27 - 04 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
SV is popular because you learn to ride and then feel ashamed of your 125/500 parked up next to huge, elegant Gixxers/R6s/Ducatis and you then see a faired SV and think wow it's almost as good, and it's so cheap too!
(I admit that was part of the reason I thought it was cool, it looks the part somewhat) ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crystal Tipps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crystal Tipps Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 May 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:33 - 05 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well I've been to another dealer and seen/sat on some different bikes. Now I discover that the Hornet is a bit higher than I realised, and although I can still reach the ground with both feet it would take some getting used to. However, I understand from other threads on here that lowering it wouldn't be too much of a problem.
I also tried a Bandit which had already been lowered by the previous owner, and I definitely felt more at home on that and the Hornet than the SV.
Then this second dealer threw in the 0% finance deal option, as I said I think I need to save up a bit more to have enough to buy what I'd really like...never believed this was actually a REAL option before, but now although convinced it exists I still don't think I can justify buying a new bike. It doesn't quite sit right with me!
Still, it's something else to add into the mix
Not seen another ER6 yet since the 10 plate one in the first dealer last week. A trip to the next town may be in order as they have a Kawasaki dealership there  ____________________ First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bloke |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bloke Crazy Courier
Joined: 06 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:01 - 05 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Crystal Tipps wrote: | Well I've been to another dealer and seen/sat on some different bikes. Now I discover that the Hornet is a bit higher than I realised, and although I can still reach the ground with both feet it would take some getting used to. However, I understand from other threads on here that lowering it wouldn't be too much of a problem.
I also tried a Bandit which had already been lowered by the previous owner, and I definitely felt more at home on that and the Hornet than the SV.
Then this second dealer threw in the 0% finance deal option, as I said I think I need to save up a bit more to have enough to buy what I'd really like...never believed this was actually a REAL option before, but now although convinced it exists I still don't think I can justify buying a new bike. It doesn't quite sit right with me!
Still, it's something else to add into the mix
Not seen another ER6 yet since the 10 plate one in the first dealer last week. A trip to the next town may be in order as they have a Kawasaki dealership there  |
I went on 0% with my yamaha xj6-s diversion. Looks miles better than the competition imo, and is a damn lovely ride. ____________________ 2008 VFR800 VTEC |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| N cee thirty |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 N cee thirty Banned

Joined: 31 Jan 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| L4Isoside |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 L4Isoside World Chat Champion
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:35 - 05 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I went from a SVs (the faired version with clip on bars) to a ZX-6R and when I sat on the SV after about a week on the ZX it felt like I was sat in an arm chair lol.
Its a great bike, good for beginners but still a great hooligan bike really, plenty fast enough up til 100, get an aftermarket can an take out the baffle etc plus the upside of being able to red line the thing in virtually every gear with out the worry of prison speeds makes it really fun....
But I did find my self wanting a tad bit more, you got to 9k (peak power) and there was nothing left, where as a IL4 is just entering warp speed.. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|