Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New keyboard and mouse

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: New keyboard and mouse Reply with quote

I cant get my new keyboard and mouse to work.
I had to buy a new (optical wireless) ones cos for some reason my ps/2 (?) connections werent working.

So I bought brand new ones (a set) and when i put the batteries in, the mouse (at first) connected and worked but the keyboard never did.

Now the mouse has stopped workin and i have had to plug in an old sticky usb keyboard in found in the cupboard, which hardly works and they keys stick, and I have NO mouse at all (using the tab key and frowning a lot).

What have I done wrong?
The (NEW) USB connect thing has a blue light on it, as it should, and the num/caps lock light works when the old sticky keyboard is plugged in, but when I take that out and try to use the other (new) mouse and keyboard, the numlock light stays on and nothing h appens. No mouse, no keyboard.

I tried pressing the Connect button. It only worked the once when the mouse first worked, but now even the mouse has stopped.

I'm ver cross.
Laughing
How do I get them to work properly?
(yes, I have tried rebooting the coputer. SEVERAL THOUSAND times)

(see what I mean about sticky keys. annoying)
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you press connect on the tranceiver (the bit plugged into the pc) then the connect button on the mouse and the connect button on the keyboard. The order you press the connect buttons should be in the instructions.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were fairly limited instructions Shocked

It didnt say anything about any order, in fact it didnt even say whether you had to press them separately or at the same time (I assumed at first, just one after the other, but then I wondered once it was "not working" properly" whether I should have pressed both at the same time.

It just said to press the Connect button on the back of the mouse, and on the back of the keyboard. I did so for the mouse, and it worked fine, but the keyboard one would not work.

From memory (I'm now at work), the bit that plugs into the PC via USB only has a Connect light, not a button. At first, that light flickered when the mouse was connecting, but then the Numlock light came on and stayed on, and the keyboard would not work at all.

If I plug a different (i.e, the rubbish sticky-key) keyboard in, then the numlock and capslock and scroll lock lights on the new USB work as well, but only with the rubbish keyboard, not the new one. Its most peculiar.

I think I did check for a connect button or an on-off switch, but as it came straight on and in fact started the mouse up perfectly straight away when I pressed the connect button on the mouse ... but not the keyboard.

As this is something which I am certain is extremely simple (when you know what you are doing) I will have a look again tonight, but its extraordinarily frustrating. I might cry Crying or Very sad
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Inkognito
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be interfering with another wireless device.
Try switching channel for the mouse and keyboard. Switch might be on the receiver.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TQ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connect sequence is usually:

button on receiver->button on mouse->button on receiver->button on keyboard.
____________________
First Bike :Gilera DNA 50 | Second: Imported 1989 NSR125
Third: 1998 Yamaha XJ600N | Currently: 1999 Yamaha FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

Hmm, lets see what happens when I get home.

Thanks guys.

If you don't hear from me, I will probably have thrown myself under the wheels of a plane in frustration.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, thank you my honeys *mwah*
TQ's suggestion was the first I tried, and it worked perfectly.

happy hellkat
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TQ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you got it working Smile
____________________
First Bike :Gilera DNA 50 | Second: Imported 1989 NSR125
Third: 1998 Yamaha XJ600N | Currently: 1999 Yamaha FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.01 Kb