Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone own or use a Kindle - what's your review?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Anyone own or use a Kindle - what's your review? Reply with quote

As title - link to Kindle on amazon.co.uk.
Thinking of getting one but can't really justify it.
Someone asked about Xmas present ideas for me and I wondered if they'd be wasting their money.

Just what are the features?

Have tried to read the iPad thread but found myself loosing the will to carry on Very Happy
I already have a laptop, netbook, PDA, mobile phone and PC so can't really justify anything like the iPad either (besides I just hate the Apple iTunes lock in and business model).

Thanks in anticipation Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a paperless book. The text is remarkably easy to read, and it doesn't strain your eyes the same as a pad or phone based device. Fonts are very smooth. Low power consumption. A great many books available, but beware there have been some non-US customers a bit peeved at certain books being more expensive than US customers get.

All that said, I've not read a book on one, just used it at work, we're trying them to replace PDAs in certain circumstances. At just over the ton, they're much better value than the devices we currently buy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant offer any advice, but just as a normal comment on ebooks - I genuinely do enjoy sitting down and reading a book properly - pages on the finger tips etc.

I'm only 21 and even I think it's a shame how technology steamrollers everything nowdays. Useful most definitely - but I reckon by the time I hit my 50's and my joints are so fucked the only decent thing I'll be able to do is read - books will be gone! Laughing
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
...we're trying them to replace PDAs in certain circumstances....

Any use in this role?
About the only extra feature I've found is the ability to use it as an MP3 player.
I didn't think it had apps or other applications available.

Confused
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has a browser you can get to in the 'experimental' section, but I reckon this may disappear and you'll have to pay for it some time soonish... What I said about replacing PDAs... Well, if you write a book, you can have hyperlinks in the book. So we did that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3G version has an email client that doesn't cost anything to use abroad unlike the horrific roaming data charges on mobile phones.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Albion
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this as it happens,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2010/11/kindle-3-e-book-readers-go-mainstream.ars
____________________
A2 Passed on 07/05/08, CG125 bought on 21/07/08.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
The 3G version has an email client that doesn't cost anything to use abroad unlike the horrific roaming data charges on mobile phones.


How is that possible? it is the network that set the chargers not the email client. If you are using 3g abroad it will cost regardless of what you use it for. UNless this is some special network deal.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Sony PRS-350 which uses the same e-ink screen as the new Kindle.

The quality is excellent - far superior to previous generations of screen.

E-ink screens are far better than LCD screen for reading books on and they don't get washed out in sunlight.

Personally I bought the Sony (£160) rather than the Kindle (£109?) for 3 reasons.

The Sony is made of aluminium and looks and feels much nicer.
The Sony has a touch screen.
The Kindle locks you in with its DRM - the Sony supports the ePub format. Yes I know you could faff about stripping the DRM out but for the sake of a few quid its really not worth it.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of people that have them, one of them loves it but the other prefers the old books as once you are finished you can give them to a friend and vice versa. The Sony PRS models are proofing to be very popular the 350 and the 650 look like they will be great sellers.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
How is that possible? it is the network that set the chargers not the email client. If you are using 3g abroad it will cost regardless of what you use it for. UNless this is some special network deal.


Amazon do deals with the network providers in different countries. I think it's quite a big selling point that you can download books wherever you are.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay for one, just because I downloaded the kindle app for free on my Android phone and it is good enough for the nights alone at a hotel on business. Surprisingly good selection of free books aswell!
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 03 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
I know a couple of people that have them, one of them loves it but the other prefers the old books as once you are finished you can give them to a friend and vice versa. The Sony PRS models are proofing to be very popular the 350 and the 650 look like they will be great sellers.


Another thing you can do with the Sonys is borrow ebooks from libraries. You can't do that with Kindle because of the protection.

I bought the Stephen King Dark Tower series in Microsoft Reader format (.LIT files) a few years ago to read on my iPaq.

When I bought my first ereader I was expected to buy them again because it didn't support the format.

I'd never buy a device that locks you in to proprietory formats. It just buggers you up in the future.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CptBlack
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived this morning. Looks good so far. Slightly dissappointed with the refresh rate. It's okay waiting a second going from page to page, but navigation is slightly awkward waiting for the cursor to reappear at the next spot, quite easy to get used to though by making several moves and then seeing where it appears.

You can view pdfs also. I 'acquired' a few pdf's of open source books, and used amazons free service to convert them to the best format, so I could share them drm free but they're still in the best format for the kindle.

My biggest concern is its fragility, I read a few reports that it only takes a small knock to ruin it. I have a case on order, but I'm weary of taking it on the bike this weekend, may stick with a traditional book.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CptBlack wrote:
Mine arrived this morning. Looks good so far. Slightly dissappointed with the refresh rate. It's okay waiting a second going from page to page, but navigation is slightly awkward waiting for the cursor to reappear at the next spot, quite easy to get used to though by making several moves and then seeing where it appears.

You can view pdfs also. I 'acquired' a few pdf's of open source books, and used amazons free service to convert them to the best format, so I could share them drm free but they're still in the best format for the kindle.

My biggest concern is its fragility, I read a few reports that it only takes a small knock to ruin it. I have a case on order, but I'm weary of taking it on the bike this weekend, may stick with a traditional book.


As with any portable device with a screen, a case is a must to prevent damage. My previous Sony (the PRS-300) came with a slipcase. My new PRS-350 didn't. Obviously a marketing ploy to get you to buy their overpriced cases.

The PRS-300 took a second or so to turn pages but the PRS-350 is almost instant.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not a kindle but I have owned a Hanvon Wise reader N516 since May. I travel a lot and can read 2-4 books a week.

The concept of carrying several hundred books around with me on a device that I charge once a month is superb. Its light, fits in a pocket and works well in bright sunlight. I've dropped it a couple of times and its still working.

I have installed openinkpot , https://openinkpot.org/ , as a different OS simply based on reviews and I've not had a problem using any book formats at the moment.

If you decide to go for one then take a look at calibre, https://calibre-ebook.com/ . It does a good job of organising you library and synching your device. More importantly it converts between different formats and its free Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marki wrote:


If you decide to go for one then take a look at calibre, https://calibre-ebook.com/ . It does a good job of organising you library and synching your device. More importantly it converts between different formats and its free Laughing


+1

This is what I use as the Sony app supplied with the PRS-300 was crap. I've not even bothered looking at he PRS-350 app.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 98.9 Kb