Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Alpine stereo into Ford KA?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Dec 2010    Post subject: Alpine stereo into Ford KA? Reply with quote

Help me here as the last time I fitted a car stereo was in arusty mk2 escort about 20 yrs ago.

I have an Alpine stereo (CDE-9850-Ri), which I want to fit into a 2001 Ford KA. The Alpine has a connector in the back with a bunch of wires all cut off and it has the colour codes on a sticker.
The vehicle wiring is unmolested with 2 multi-plugs and an aerial plug dangling in the hole.

I can find leads that are called Alpine to ISO, but not Alpine to Ford and the ISO ends aren't going to fit the car going by the pics.

I want to just plug the stereo into the car loom, what do I need?
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 06 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi meter, soldering iron, shrink wrap and a bit of time. I had this problem fitting my Pioneer system into the van.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ian789
Crazy Courier



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 06 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://homepages.tesco.net/~esoteric/ka-audmods.htm

It seems you'll need to source a ISO to ford adapter.

This one might be it https://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/connects-ct20fd01-ford-harness-adapter-free-delivery-p-4455.html?osCsid=df8c29b22bdb1b731068404897a65812

Then it should be plug and play with your unit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ian789
Crazy Courier



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 06 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also need an adapter for the aerial if it wasn't included with the head unit.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_176311_langId_-1_categoryId_165626
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 06 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so I need two patch leads and an aerial adaptor? No wonder I couldn't find a patch lead. Looks like I better get shopping...

Wali - if it were my own car I'd chop up the loom and get out the soldering iron but I don't want to butcher the wiring on my daughter's 1st car.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 07 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Right so I need two patch leads and an aerial adaptor? No wonder I couldn't find a patch lead. Looks like I better get shopping...

Wali - if it were my own car I'd chop up the loom and get out the soldering iron but I don't want to butcher the wiring on my daughter's 1st car.


Some are so simple its nuts, the VW Lupo I did.. slot straight in, no issues at all Cool
My supra... on the other hand, was like solving a rubiks cube with no fingers, whilst blind and under the influence Laughing
Solved by Ariels wise choice Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 07 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to use a couple of connectors, but you shouldn't need to.

You have a plug and wires on the back of the alpine stereo, so if you can get a ford - ISO adapter and chop off the ISO plugs then you can solder it up to the alpine plug. Wire colours will probably differ, but you'll find a manual on t'internet which will give the wiring colours fairly easily.

You may have more wires at one end than you need - things like a wire to operate an electric aerial, which you don't need and can remove if you don't have an electric aerial.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

How old is the stereo? Not many normal ones recently (last 10 years) which haven't had the ISO plugs on the back, or just a lead from some proprietary connector to an ISO plug. Check to see if the wires go under a cover into a standard ISO connector.

Ford connectors are pretty common and so cheap. Hence buy one and chop it up (used a Ford one chopped up to put an ISO stereo into a 1990 car which had no plug in connector).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 07 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I scoured ebay and found these two connectors.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220699110782

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300497984124

Looks like the right thing so worth a punt for just over a fiver. If they don't work plug & play I can use the parts for a cut & shut Smile
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.85 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.79 Kb