Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Eccentric

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Eccentric Reply with quote

Anita reckons one of her work colleagues (who has never met me) but who has been hearing her say "My mum [rides a motorbike / just got a huge dog / plaits her pubes* / whatever]" has said that he thinks I sound eccentric.

She tempered it by saying that the guy said he also thought I sounded cool (which obviously I am) but I wondered, am I? I always thought I was kind of normal, but with some slightly funky ideas that I wasn't afraid to speak out about.

I know pretty much where my hard limits on eccentricity are, and the type of behaviour that I would find too much to cope with from other people ... and if I found I was going beyond those limits myself, I'd think "Whoah there, girl, calm down, try and revert to normality."

Just how eccentric do you think you are?
And what level of eccentricity can you cope with in others?



*obviously not really, I just put that in there to make sure you were paying attention
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when you start making threads again, you seem to go through a lul and then do like 15 at once, they always make me smile Laughing

Eccentric maybe - Entertaining, Yes!

Will not become the new minh
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eccentric is used to describe many things. Mainly used for someone that is different than the norm in which case it doesn't take much in some peoples eyes to be seen as eccentric. It can also be used instead of odd, weird, freakish, mad, senile, scary & others.


Just about sums you up I think? Wink


Eccentric for me is someone who does something unusual, like wearing odd shoes, but doesn't do it deliberately.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold to a fairly simple tenet which you in all probability already know, "An it harm none do as thou wilt". As long as someone's eccentricities are within that boundary then anything goes.

Anyone defining themselves as eccentric is usually the kind of muppet I want as little as possible to do with. They may well use Apple products and call themselves "wacky" or "zany" as well, or even post on BCF under the rather pretentious name "The warped one".
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you could only be eccentric when in the millionaire class. Under that threshold you are a 'mental'. (No offence intended, some of my bestest friends is mentals!)
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellkat,

Yes luv, you're eccentric. In comparison to my mother, you are very much eccentric.

Mark.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you had to be rich to be Eccentric? Poor people are just crazies.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eccentricity comes with age, I don't know what age, but for years and years you just get called a Freak or Weird, and then suddenly at some point, future forward you become Eccentric.

I get called a Freak, regularly, so I presume at some point this will change and I will be promoted to Eccentric...I will be sure to let you know when this occurs. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I think Eccentricity comes with age, I don't know what age, but for years and years you just get called a Freak or Weird, and then suddenly at some point, future forward you become Eccentric.

I get called a Freak, regularly, so I presume at some point this will change and I will be promoted to Eccentric...I will be sure to let you know when this occurs. Thumbs Up


Then when you get older still you become either dotty or senile.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Then when you get older still you become either dotty or senile.


Ah well I've lived for many years being a Freak, I suppose I'll cope with either dotty or senile. Mr. Green
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Clanger wrote:
I think Eccentricity comes with age, I don't know what age, but for years and years you just get called a Freak or Weird, and then suddenly at some point, future forward you become Eccentric.

I get called a Freak, regularly, so I presume at some point this will change and I will be promoted to Eccentric...I will be sure to let you know when this occurs. Thumbs Up


Then when you get older still you become either dotty or senile.


Wotcha.

<waves> . . . . . . < and dribbles> Shocked
____________________
Cheers.
^..^
L.W. - www.moonshiners.org.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Reply with quote

First off, compared to a lot of general society; yes you are Wink.
But for me at least an 'interesting' sort of different is much better than not being eccentric; too many clones with 2.4 children going around living what for me would be a very unrewarding life.

Quote:
Just how eccentric do you think you are?

Generally pretty high for most people, I'd say.

Quote:
And what level of eccentricity can you cope with in others?

Very high; providing it doesn't mean they're particularly annoying about it.

Oh and I only saw the small print upon quoting; the fact that I DID read it and it DIDN'T necessitate a second glance suggests, err I dunno.... Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been called eccentric. As well as weird and OCD.

In fairness, I just have interests, hobbies and rituals that are different to the rest of my family, friends and colleagues.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, Eccentricity seems to be money related. As the saying goes:

'At the moment I'm just odd, but I'm saving up to be eccentric'.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've now asked Anita, and it turns out that the guy who said it is mega-posh, rich parents, etc., etc. So he probably thinks in those terms about everybody.



I always figured eccentric as a "rich person" word, too
(the wonderful Lord Bath springs immediately to mind)

https://www.longleat.co.uk/news/images/15072BG-%20LB%20%20%20DOGS.jpg
Lord "Mad as a box of frogs" more like Wub




... although having spent several days now thinking about it, I would also put "well-educated and/or people of high intelligence" into that category.

I know lots of people who are quite eccentric but also extremely intelligent. Maybe that's where mine comes from, high IQ (156), ergo higher than likely element of nuttiness.

So although I'm (usually) financially better off than most of my friends, I'm hardly loaded. Which makes me just a common or garden variety nutter by virtue of my so-called level of intelligence (although I'm feeling rather braindead today, it has to be said).

But my sister and my aunt were the official loonies in my family (bi-polar disease) - so I tend to use them as a yardstick... "Oh no, I'm being a bit dotty, but I'm not as mad as them (yet)"

I agree that those people who say things like "I'm mad I am!" are the sort of people who try too hard, who otherwise wouldn't have much of a personality. You can see the desperation to be liked or admired leaking out of them.

My ex always says things like "I'm a psycho..."

... no you're not, luv, you're just a bit of an angry lad who's a bit fucked up Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Ah, loonies: gotta love em.
Or keep them at arms length Brick Wall
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told (even to my face) that I'm a bit strange, or not normal... but I just live my life as I see fit, and try not to bother anybody. So it's not really a problem for me.

As for eccentricity in others, as long as it doesn't involve illegal, abusive, or purposely offensive behaviour, I don't see a problem.

(...and yes, Lord Bath immediately sprang to mind - I think he comes across as a really nice bloke, even though I don't usually like the "upper classes")
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....yes you are. Smile

Off topic but I woke up and turned the tv this morning.
They said some one is missing then they said "a women was killed by
her mastiff".I just thought oh no not hellkat. Shocked

Good to know you're still alive. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got an anxious text from Mad Liz (aka "Sadie" on here) ... who arranged for me to foster him, she couldnt get hold of me and was worrying.

I was on the phone at the time, I read it and I was like "what news?" ... when she text me back, I could see why she was a bit worried, LOL

Bruno is happily snoring on the floor beside me and shows no signs of being cross with me, other than for lack of cuddles which he seems to want all the time, soppy old baggage that he is.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, my immediate reaction was "why are you asking the BCF Massif if you're eccentric?" Confused Let's be honest amongst us lot you're perfectly lovely and normal - like G said he didn't even bat an eyelid at something that would have hit the profanity filter on any other site and sent it into meltdown!

I think that's what is so great about t'internet forums like this - in what is a boring and very dull society the proper individuals can have a voice and outlet for their so called eccentricities! Thumbs Up

Hellkat - you're a proper all heart, lovely eccentric and I for one think you're great just the way you are! Wub
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do other people consider *themselves* so, or recognise eccentricity in themselves.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eccentric? No.

But I like it when Mums are not stock, out of the box Mums. Makes it easier to relate to them. This has nothing to do with my fetish for older women. Maybe a little bit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 24 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Well, do other people consider *themselves* so, or recognise eccentricity in themselves.


Nah, I used to think I was a tad eccentric, then................I was diagnosed bi-polar, so now I'm just officially bonkers! Mr. Green
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 120.51 Kb