Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Going down in the World

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Going down in the World Reply with quote

Haven't posted here in a while due to a crazy last few weeks at work, not helped by the recent weather.

All change once again at the stables. Giving this little beasty a go for daily commuting next year.

It is a vile colour, it has almost no power to speak of and comes adorned with comedy 'Ninja' stickers.

But it does 80mpg, has a 17 litre tank, fairing to keep some of the chill off, is pretty comfy and is claimed to even nudge the ton (seen an indicated 95 already).

I've spent a couple of days cleaning the bike up, as the thing had 11k's worth of new-biker abuse smothered over it, but nothing I couldn't apply a little elbow grease to. Added a few practical modifications along the way as well.

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/IMG_0229.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/IMG_0234.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/IMG_0241.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you buy all your bikes from dealers? surely it must cost you a bit to keep changing them if you do.
The ZXR250 will probably make quite a good little commuter, but I really can't see what it offers that any of the other many commuters you've bought and sold recently didn't.
I aspire to have the same turn over rate of women as you do bikes but sadly I'm lacking options Smile
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike really.

True, I lost a bit on the MT03, but I was always going to take a hit when it comes to buying new. The majority of bikes I've had were already used, so the worst I recall doing on those is breaking even.

My tastes aren't always logical and I have become a little sporadic on occasion. I guess I can only relate to the reasons I chopped in the MT - wanted something cheaper long term, something with a good fuel range, something with a bit of fairing/comfort in whatever weather condition, something easy to work on, but also something that could comfortably cruise at the National speed limit, or offer a bit of a grin whatever speed I wish to bimble around on.

In short, I wanted something like a CBR125, but with a little more oomph.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:

In short, I wanted something like a CBR125, but with a little more oomph.


Should have got a push bike Thumbs Up (in no way is that an insult, I use one as a commuter) Laughing

I'd like to try one, I've ridden a CB250 Night Hawk...which although lacked power, was ok for a motorway cruise. I can see it being a good commuter, not much fun...but a decent reliable runaround Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

delvey91
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hell of a little bike really, I had mine for a year and commuted 40 miles a day no problem, even did a trackday on it and it coped fine! Corners like you wouldnt belive with some decent rubber
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

delvey91 wrote:
Its hell of a little bike really, I had mine for a year and commuted 40 miles a day no problem, even did a trackday on it and it coped fine! Corners like you wouldnt belive with some decent rubber


Shocked DO WHAT... Did you hand your licence back to DVLA afterwards for that horrendous display of riding... Laughing Cant imagine it was great against 600's...but each to his own.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

delvey91
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 27 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
delvey91 wrote:
Its hell of a little bike really, I had mine for a year and commuted 40 miles a day no problem, even did a trackday on it and it coped fine! Corners like you wouldnt belive with some decent rubber


Shocked DO WHAT... Did you hand your licence back to DVLA afterwards for that horrendous display of riding... Laughing Cant imagine it was great against 600's...but each to his own.


https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs037.snc3/12433_214064826678_756191678_4123888_4648863_n.jpg

Ha! Nope absolutely enilated, Not getting lapped more than twice in each session was the biggest acomplishment i think Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god.. Laughing
It actually looks alot smaller than I thought it would be Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, it probably makes me look like a full scale biker when riding it then.

The bike's like half an NC30 - with a tenth of the quality. But it should do nicely.

Maybe I should try out Brands Indy circuit this year?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 28 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, still lost in your quest for the ideal bike then? Laughing
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Lol, it probably makes me look like a full scale biker when riding it then.

The bike's like half an NC30 - with a tenth of the quality. But it should do nicely.

Maybe I should try out Brands Indy circuit this year?


If you do, let me know when and i'll come have a scope at this...*shudders* Ninja.. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another! Looks like nice but reckon you should have gone back to a 400 (dispite their age are all are quite old now!)

Hope you keep this one for a bit longer!
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis a nice bike you've got there, I think 250s are perfect for non-pillion use on the road, although as soon as you chuck a pillion on they aren't all that. Every time you get a new bike it makes me think I should get a new one, you must have had about 6 bikes while I've had this one!

Do you not fancy something like this? Clicky. Guy in the shop showed me a cool trick with it. He got a 20p coin and balanced it on edge on the fuel filler cap. He then started the bike and revved it a bit and it still stood on edge. As the revs went right up it began to spin round in a circle. It was a very nice bike and technology sounds interesting Smile
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If another Superfour came up, especially a later V-Tec, I'd snap it up no doubt. Hope the bike's okay Andy, I think I miss it more than I did my CB1.

The quest continues Reuben. Still, it's as fun finding out what isn't suitable as to find what is.

Strangely, I have got a bit of a penchant for crap bikes, ever since I got my CG a couple of years back. No idea why really.

Hence the interest in a novice track day. At least I could give some CBR125s some grief Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bike Bunker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recomend it know you have riden it for a while ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the bike long enough really, best ask me in a month's time or two.

However, I doubt I'd recommend the bike to a friend as the market for them is very limited.

As a new rider, having just passed your test, you're better off getting a big bike and restricting it down, rather than opt for the 250 ninja.

As a commuter, yes it's cheap, yes it's a little quicker than a 125, yes it's got fairing for a little more weather protection, but a genuinely good bike for commuting? Probably not. You'll get more for your money from a CB500 or something, which would be less to buy (so might end up about the same when factoring in running costs over a year).

But for me? Well, it's made in by child labourers from Thailand, to a very low budget. People will regularly take the piss trying to work out why anyone would spend money on such a thing. The tyres are thinner than a R125's. And the dash is straight out of a scrapped Austin Metro. Plus it comes in snot green, that's never, ever, been a good colour.

So yeah, it's brilliant.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

delvey91 wrote:


https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs037.snc3/12433_214064826678_756191678_4123888_4648863_n.jpg

Ha! Nope absolutely enilated, Not getting lapped more than twice in each session was the biggest acomplishment i think Laughing


What track did you go to? Was it your first trackday?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bEN_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like it, i bet there's alot of fun to be had in it, and besides you probably don't want more power at this time of year anyway Thumbs Up
____________________
2010 Ducati 848 Dark

Lamp Post Enthusiast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo project?? Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UGGcP1kJc&feature=related
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
^^ all that time and money, and it makes the same power as a 400.


I know but it must be good fun Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

delvey91
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
delvey91 wrote:



Ha! Nope absolutely enilated, Not getting lapped more than twice in each session was the biggest acomplishment i think Laughing


What track did you go to? Was it your first trackday?


Yeh it was my 1st one, Llandow track in south wales
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 08 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a bizzare choice for someone who has a full licence - access to any bike etc. Its the kind of bike that I thought would only appeal to 17yr olds with too much money and a severe lack of sense -

do let us know how you get on with it and if its actually a capable machine or just a moped in a tracksuit Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 08 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre, yes, but that just adds to the hilarity of the thing. Most people who knows their bikes wonders why on Earth anyone (new test passer or not), would spend money on a bike like this and those who aren't too bike-knowledgeable (people at work for example), consider it as 'a gheyer version of a bike their mate's/brother's/wife's/etc got'. Genius.

Well, I have now completed a week's worth of commuting (well, 4 days), plus a couple to rides out with some mates - those who just had to get out for a ride over Christmas.

The bike's not bad, well, that's a lie, for all intensive purposes, when comparing it to the majority of bikes I've had over the years, it's crap. It's pretty awful, slow, as expected, the suspension's cheap and somewhat harsh and choppy, the brakes feel like they either need sintered pads (if they haven't already) or some braided lines to get them to bite, or maybe a decent clean. It has now power. I'm pretty certain even my CBF250 had better low down and midrange pull. The Ninja needs about 10k to finally get a move on, and even then, I reckon something like a Peugeot 106 could out drag it.

Loving it.

Loving riding crap bikes once again. I don't know what it is, but they make me smile when it's hard work to muster up a mere 90 on the dash,or the bike feels like it's nearing its limits in damp conditions, taking a mini roundabout at nearly-too-fast-a-speed on commuter tyres (although the BT45s feel very good in the wet). A bike that even makes me smile when the weather is truly horrendous out, or one that makes me look forward to the cold, dark ride home, or one that makes me feel like riding it whenever I can, ticks a lot of boxes in my "I Love Biking because..." list.

Day to day, it keeps up with the traffic and although overtakes need to be planned, it can make them safely - passing the 40/50mph stroller on the way to work requires a down change to 4th or 5th, revs up to 10k, and a bit of patience. Or a lot of patience if the road has an incline. Headlights are better than expected, especially on full beam. Comfort is good, a fairing seems to make more difference than expected to body core temperature, although the seat is so low to provide a somewhat cramped leg room (and I'm not exactly the tallest of people). The fuel light came on at a little over 200 miles from the mix of thrashing and commuting (average sort of use I'd expect), at which point it took 13 litres - around 70mpg from my arithmetic.

I've also fitted a can, as the standard heatshield kept getting in the way with my foot on the right peg and it was just a little too quiet for my liking. Although the new can is just a little too noisy, even with a baffle in, it will do. Makes the bike sound like half an NC30, especially when the revs climb over 10k. It's added a little more 'character' to the thing, as I'm constantly aiming to get the can wailing as the bike accelerates, or rumbling and popping as any booming twin does on the overrun.

So, that's the practical / fun criteria ticked off. I've bonded with the bike, honeymoon period it might be, but really enjoying the thing. I'm more determined as ever to do a little touring on the little Ninja (perhaps down to the west country later on in spring or something), and I've so got to get a track day or two done on it for shits-and-giggles sake.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DXB
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 08 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Son works for Kawasaki and he uses one of these things on track days,i have had my heart in my mouth watching him as he lifts the rear wheel thanks to the cronic lack of ground clearance,had my heart swell with pride as he undertakes the big sporty bikes,and then have my heart almost stop due to the fits of laughter as everything on the track overtakes him on even the smallest of straights.

Really must let him use a 600 soon.
____________________
superchargers good
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 09 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brands Hatch Indy appears to be £99 on trackdays.co.uk - good price? Thinking of attending a novice session in a couple of month's time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.87 Kb