|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:07 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: Anybody Homebrew? |
 |
|
Just wondering if anyone here Homebrews.
I do all-grain homebrewing. Much cheaper than the shops and tastes better to boot!  ____________________ Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:20 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got a kit from my girlfriend, I've got 40 pints of Youngs Bitter in a drinkable state at the moment. It was my first one and I am impressed with it. This is going to be my next brew, Christmas present off girlfriend's parents. ____________________ Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:48 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Got a 40 pint kit as a Christmas present, I hav`nt got a clue and the instuctions are very sparse
where the hell am I going to get 40 resealable pint bottles  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| LordShaftesbu... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 LordShaftesbu... World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Sep 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:08 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Two big tins of gloop, a small packet of yeast?, and some instrutions that fit on the back of a postage stamp .
Now I know that I can use 2L pop bottles, that will help .
fermenting bin?????? thats a big plastic bin right?? 40 pints !
Ancillaries???? sounds like a type of antibiotic  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Poseidon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Poseidon World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Aug 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:22 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: Re: Anybody Homebrew? |
 |
|
| Poseidon wrote: |
I mostly do wines now. Did a few beer kits, was impressed by them (especially the brupaks ones). I've got some plum wine conditioning as we speak... I left the skins in a bit too long so it may be a year or two before it's mellow enough to drink, but as the plums came from trees found near my house, it cost me all of £1.30 to make 12 bottles worth. I made a cracking sparkling peach wine last year and I tried making hawthorne wine, but that didn't end well.
I was very tempted to go all grain, even looked at making my own mash tun and boiler using a cool box, copper pipes, large bucket and elements from kettles... However moving house has put that on the back burner for a while. |
You dont live in the isolated backwoods and play the banjo by any chance .
on a serious note, around here in the Autum, there is shed-loads of fruit going begging in the hedgerows.
nobody picks it except me .
I hav`nt made any wine, but I have made blackberry jelly and apple pies.
I dont know what to do with the plums, but I bet they would make good wine. ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:58 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Pepperarmi, I wrote up a rough how-to and I've listed the items you'll need to start.
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=SEV20114945&catid=FER374247
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=WOO20195952&catid=GEN2150855
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=HYD20183229&catid=TES20124240
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=TEL20182646&catid=TES20124064
IGNORE anything about putting sugar in the fermenting bin in this, I should've read that you had a 3KG brew kit which does not need additional sugar, but I'll leave it in the how-to incase you want to do a 1KG kit
You also need to buy 'Miltons Baby Sterilising fluid'
As before you do anything you need to sterilise all equipment being used for half an hour. After this time you need to throughout flush all equipment out with clean water (if not done it will result in infected beer)
After this has been done you need to open the can of beer and place all liquid (goop) in the Fermenting barrel then using boiling water, remove all goop from inside the can (just fill it up and using the spoon wipe down all the goop inside) this all needs to go into the fermenting barrel along with 1KG sugar.
Fill up about 5 litres of boiling water in the fermenting barrel and make sure ALL goop and sugar are dissolved then fill up to 23L (40 pints) with cold water, at this point put the HYDROMETER (glass stick) in and read the number on it (should be roughly 1040 for this kit) And record this number to later on see how strong your brew is.
At this point you need to put the supplied sachet of yeast into the brew, put the lid on and put it somewhere between 18-22C for a week or so.
Do not be tempted to remove the lid too often, once a day to see how the brew is going is okay, so that you can record how it looks from day to day.
It will foam and look pretty nasty on top of the beer, this is perfectly normal. Once the foam and shit has died down, take a reading with the HYDROMETER and record the number, and do the same the next day, if the number is the same (should be under 1020, if it is not then sanatise with the miltons the brewing spoon and give it a good stir) you are then ready to bottle! Just make sure the reading is the same over the two days.
BOTTLING:
I use pop bottles. Coke, or fanta etc. Just make sure they PREVIOUSLY held fizzy drink else you may choose a wrong bottle and it'll blow.
You need enough bottles for 23L so you can use 23L 1L bottles or enough 2L and 1L to make 23L I tend to use about 8 2L bottles and the rest 1L.
Sterilise the bottles as per the brewing equipment by using the miltons for half an hour (remember to use the correct ratio of miltons to water) and make sure they are rinsed several times. Also make sure to sterilise the syphon tubing.
Once each bottle is sterilised and emptied you need to add sugar (so that the brew carbonates) for a Lager I generally use 1 and a half TEASPOONS of sugar per 1L bottle and for everything else I use 1 teaspoon per L
Then using the syphon (which has been sterilised and rinsed remember) syphon the beer into the bottles and put the tops back on.
Make sure you shake the shit out of the bottles to dissolve the sugar into the beer. Then leave the bottles in the warm for about a week and then leave them outside for at least a week before attempting to drink any. The longer you leave them the nicer they'll be.
You can start drinking them after about a week after being outside, but I would suggest leaving them for about 3-4 weeks.
Hope this helps dude.
Let me know if you have any problems.
Poseidon: It is very much worth going all-grain! Tastes so much better than kits! Do it asap! ____________________ Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
Last edited by Benson_JV on 21:04 - 12 Jan 2011; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:01 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Very much thank you Mr Benson  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:03 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Benson_JV wrote: | Pepperarmi, I wrote up a rough how-to and I've listed the items you'll need to start.
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=SEV20114945&catid=FER374247
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=WOO20195952&catid=GEN2150855
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=HYD20183229&catid=TES20124240
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=TEL20182646&catid=TES20124064
IGNORE anything about putting sugar in the fermenting bin in this, I should've read that you had a 3KG brew kit which does not need additional sugar, but I'll leave it in the how-to incase you want to do a 1KG kit
You also need to buy 'Miltons Baby Sterilising fluid'
As before you do anything you need to sterilise all equipment being used for half an hour. After this time you need to throughout flush all equipment out with clean water (if not done it will result in infected beer)
After this has been done you need to open the can of beer and place all liquid (goop) in the Fermenting barrel then using boiling water, remove all goop from inside the can (just fill it up and using the spoon wipe down all the goop inside) this all needs to go into the fermenting barrel along with 1KG sugar.
Fill up about 5 litres of boiling water in the fermenting barrel and make sure ALL goop and sugar are dissolved then fill up to 23L (40 pints) with cold water, at this point put the HYDROMETER (glass stick) in and read the number on it (should be roughly 1040 for this kit) And record this number to later on see how strong your brew is.
At this point you need to put the supplied sachet of yeast into the brew, put the lid on and put it somewhere between 18-22C for a week or so.
Do not be tempted to remove the lid too often, once a day to see how the brew is going is okay, so that you can record how it looks from day to day.
It will foam and look pretty nasty on top of the beer, this is perfectly normal. Once the foam and shit has died down, take a reading with the HYDROMETER and record the number, and do the same the next day, if the number is the same (should be under 1020, if it is not then sanatise with the miltons the brewing spoon and give it a good stir) you are then ready to bottle! Just make sure the reading is the same over the two days.
BOTTLING:
I use pop bottles. Coke, or fanta etc. Just make sure they PREVIOUSLY held fizzy drink else you may choose a wrong bottle and it'll blow.
You need enough bottles for 23L so you can use 23L 1L bottles or enough 2L and 1L to make 23L I tend to use about 8 2L bottles and the rest 1L.
Sterilise the bottles as per the brewing equipment by using the miltons for half an hour (remember to use the correct ratio of miltons to water) and make sure they are rinsed several times. Also make sure to sterilise the syphon tubing.
Once each bottle is sterilised and emptied you need to add sugar (so that the brew carbonates) for a Lager I generally use 1 and a half TEASPOONS of sugar per 1L bottle and for everything else I use 1 teaspoon per L
Then using the syphon (which has been sterilised and rinsed remember) syphon the beer into the bottles and put the tops back on.
Make sure you shake the shit out of the bottles to dissolve the sugar into the beer. Then leave the bottles in the warm for about a week and then leave them outside for at least a week before attempting to drink any. The longer you leave them the nicer they'll be.
You can start drinking them after about a week after being outside, but I would suggest leaving them for about 3-4 weeks.
Hope this helps dude.
Let me know if you have any problems.
Poseidon: It is very much worth going all-grain! Tastes so much better than kits! Do it asap! |
Jesus I tried to edit my post and I bloody quoted it! ____________________ Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Willson |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Willson Traffic Copper

Joined: 26 Jun 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:58 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Arse.
Why didn't that work.
 ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:03 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| AngelGrinder wrote: | I have done 3 brews over the last 6 months, only one sucessfully. My first beer batch ended up sweet, the second batch, I bought some cheap plastic bottles off eBay and they lost pressure so ended up flat, but seemed to tase fine before that. My most recent batch...strawberry cider was drinkable, and now after a few months is really nice!
The only problem is the sugar not fully dissolving, so I can't take them anywhere. Would a keg solve this problem? I've tried using less sugar, to no avail, any tips? |
1) It'd have been sweet because the yeast didn't eat all of the sugar for some reason and thus the gravity was too high. To combat this you need to double check the gravity readings and give it a stir.
2) Bum bottes unfortunately!
The sugar in the bottles? You just need to shake the living shit out of them when you bottle, it doesn't do them any harm!
HTH ____________________ Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Poseidon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Poseidon World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Aug 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Poseidon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Poseidon World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Aug 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:10 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| AngelGrinder wrote: | I have done 3 brews over the last 6 months, only one sucessfully. My first beer batch ended up sweet, the second batch, I bought some cheap plastic bottles off eBay and they lost pressure so ended up flat, but seemed to tase fine before that. My most recent batch...strawberry cider was drinkable, and now after a few months is really nice!
The only problem is the sugar not fully dissolving, so I can't take them anywhere. Would a keg solve this problem? I've tried using less sugar, to no avail, any tips? |
If it's the sugar when bottling not dissolving, try using dextrose (brewers sugar). Easy enough to come by... You could also try a small bit of golden syrup, honey, treacle etc to give it a slightly different flavour. Are you sure its sugar thats at the bottom of the bottles, and not sediment? Yeast come out of solution when fermentation stops, resulting in a pale crust at the bottom of the bottle. It's usually solid enough for you to be able to pour the beer off without disturbing it provided its been left long enough. ____________________ 1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:26 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| AngelGrinder wrote: | I'd not though about the fact it could be yeast actually, I do siphon from the bottom, but thinking about it, maybe I disturbed it before siphoning. Once it's all mixed in, do you never mix it again? Just leave it until it's ready, then siphon off?
Also, the reason my first one went bad, was because I forgot to add the sugar until 2 days after I'd put the yeast in...whoops! |
That may explain why it was sweet, the yeast not having much to chomp on (they'd have had a small amount from the kit itself) mostly died.
When you bottle it there is still yeast that gets transferred over to the bottles (which is what eats the sugar in the bottle and gives off Co2 and carbonates the beer!) so could possibly be this.
You only mix again (with a sterilised paddle) if the gravity has stuck too high to bottle. Otherwise no. ____________________ Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benson_JV |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benson_JV World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 May 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:40 - 12 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've done 5 kits 3 lager 2 cider.
First Lager was undrinkable, disgusting.
Second Cider, Just about drinkable not very nice.
Third Larger, Didn't kick off
Forth Cider, Didn't Kick off
Fifth Lager, Best of the lot, but still not that great.
I CBA with it anymore, too much hassle. ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|