|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Sauce |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sauce L Plate Warrior

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:48 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: Advice needed - failure to stop (other driver) |
 |
|
While riding home from work today a flat-bet lorry decided to pull out in front of me - despite a good effort, I couldn't avoid running into the back of it. He didn't stop.
By the time I'd picked myself up and got the hell out of the middle of the road, he was too far away to make out his number plate.
Obviously the first thing I did was report it to the police, but with a description of 'a flat bed truck with a white cab', I'm not expecting much from them. I'm on third-party only insurance and I can't place a claim with the MIB due to an untraceable driver unless the vehicle itself is found.
The truck was coming out of a farm lane, so I'm going to check with them in the morning to see, first of all, if the truck is theirs/there or if I can get any other information from them regarding their visitors. If it is there I obviously plan on taking photos/video of any evidence (paint transfer etc.), but I'm not entirely sure how to handle the owner/person present.
I need to find out who was driving at that time without it sounding accusatory (if he really wasn't paying enough attention to a) see me b) have me hit him without noticing it shouldn't be too difficult, but if it was a deliberate failure to stop then he's obviously not going to offer this information knowingly).
Any advice much appreciated; and keep it legal please  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:12 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Dare I say it, if you ran into the back of it, you're 99.9% likely to be considered at fault.
There are almost no circumstances where rear ending another vehicle is considered unavoidable, those that exist are very difficult to prove.
This might be an occasion where you have to suck it up and learn a lesson. ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sauce |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sauce L Plate Warrior

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ian789 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ian789 Crazy Courier
Joined: 09 Apr 2010 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 01:43 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Had you been on the sauce?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:51 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
^^^^^ I still don't fancy the chances, particularly as the OP seems to know the junction layout fairly well, which might suggest he should've applied more caution, when approaching it at close to the speed limit, in adverse conditions.
Still, I wish him good luck, mainly because I think he needs it. ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sauce |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sauce L Plate Warrior

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| StevenF |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 StevenF World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sauce |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sauce L Plate Warrior

Joined: 22 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:27 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
You’re not going to like this but:-
Having been in a similar situation many, many, moons ago, I would say forget it.
In my case I knew the vehicle reg., I knew the owners name and address, and it got me nowhere!
If the driver of the other vehicle does not admit to anything, it’s just your word against his.
Unless you’ve got witnesses, save yourself months of frustration and chalk it up to experience.
Sorry!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| skatefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 skatefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Feb 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:57 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Call SorryMate, or another bunch of ambulance chasers, and ask them for advice and suggestions. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellbound |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellbound World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jan 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ginllfixit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ginllfixit Nova Slayer
Joined: 24 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| StevenF |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 StevenF World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|