Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Copying a VHS onto DVD

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Copying a VHS onto DVD Reply with quote

My Mam has a VHS with lots of old filming on it from the late 80s early 90s.
There is a lot of footage on the tape she wants to keep, my Great Grandparents are on there, who have both died now.
There is also a lot of footage of me when I was about 3 riding my PW50.


What is the best way to get it onto a DVD? My Mam has spoken to some people who do it as a service, and they are charging like £40. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Play in vcr

2. Use camcorder and record the tv.

3. burn to dvd

Time consuming but free apart from cost of dvd

or

pay £40
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did several similar tapes by plugging the VCR int DVD recorder, just a matter of getting inputs right.
You can probably do it on a computer with a capture card like this but I haven't tried it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware recording of VHS to DVD is far better than saving it first to a hard drive with some type of software because it's dependant on how good your computer system is handling large amounts of data being processed continually for possibly 1 to 2 hrs!

So, I would use what others have suggested and cable connect VHS player to a DVD Recorder/Camcorder and record in Realtime or you could buy or get use of a built in combo instead to give you some more control in the final edit of the DVD, as shown in the link!

https://cnettv.cnet.com/convert-old-vhs-tapes-dvd/9742-1_53-20995.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binge I have a machine that can do it. You can borrow it if you like. It's the size of a VCR if you want to collect it.

It's a Samsung DVD-VR470M.

EDIT - the missus says you can have it for a score. It's a pretty good piece of kit got freeview built in and you can record off the freeview direct to disc.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into this before, because I have about 2 full tapes of shit we recorded on my camcorder that I want to put onto DVD for the sake of nostalgia, and also because I have a few things on there that I want to send off to "You've been framed" because they would deffo net £250 each.

Can't take it to a shop to get done because there's numerous episodes of drug taking, male nudity, and scallywag behaviour scattered throughout and I can't risk some jumped up twat given the plod a call, not only resulting in my arrest, but they'll then keep the tape as evidence...

Looked into capture cards which are both expensive and from what I've read you need a supercomputer to pull it off anyway.

Don't know anyone with a DVD recorder.....

When you find a solution, update this thread, as I'd really like to collect my £1000 cheque from the telly people.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Binge I have a machine that can do it. You can borrow it if you like. It's the size of a VCR if you want to collect it.

It's a Samsung DVD-VR470M.

EDIT - the missus says you can have it for a score. It's a pretty good piece of kit got freeview built in and you can record off the freeview direct to disc.


I'll give you a call later today Pete. Thumbs Up


Cheers



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate I just sold it to Ghostrider for £200 Very Happy
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a link to ebay for a selection of hardware VHS to DVD recording combis at almost half the price Ghostrider just paid!!!!

https://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=vhs+dvd+recorder&_sacat=0&_odkw=vhs+dvd+recorder&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
Ok, here's a link to ebay for a selection of hardware VHS to DVD recording combis at almost half the price Ghostrider just paid!!!!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CB600-CB-600-HORNET-PARTS-CLOCKS-DAILS-SPEEDO-/280629774499?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4156d688a3


Too slow with the edit there Very Happy

Good luck copying a VHS tape with that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mind you, there's some VCR/DVD recorders on ebay there that have a 14 day no quibble return policy attached.....surely I can just buy it, do the business, then return it? The P+P cost would be less than a professional job, plus I don't have to worry about the plod... it's a cunts trick, but hey ho...

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.24 Kb