|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Freols |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Freols Derestricted Danger

Joined: 04 May 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:00 - 19 Mar 2011 Post subject: Small Touring Bike & Touring on a Shoestring Recommendat |
 |
|
I posted a question about the 'best' touring bike for someone who's just done the DAS. The replies were very useful, and got me thinking about what I actually want from the tour. After some consideration and a lot of reading I'm excited about the idea of spending my month in Europe riding a small bike, with minimal baggage. It sounds like more of an adventure, and of course it's far cheaper to do.
When I say small I mean probably 250cc or less, and certainly below 400cc.
I know there are loads and loads of threads dedicated to this small bike tour fetishism, but lots of them end up very long and full of what I would consider to be odd choices for European tours - hence the purpose of this thread.
Threads such as this monstrous one from the avrider forum: https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349 seem to mostly focus on off road style bikes. I can see that making a lot of sense in Africa or South America, but in Europe it seems to make less sense - the majority of the route I will be taking will have tarmacked roads. I'm looking for a bike that will be more comfortable on roads than it will be on dirt tracks, but still be able to cope with them if needs be.
Any recommendations? I know people have circled the world on C90s and CG125s, but maybe a tiny bit more kick would be handy for tackling the alps? Maybe 250cc commuter type bikes? Or is it possible and sensible to modify off road/dual sport bikes to make them more suitable for a long mixed road tour? Would also like to hear your ideas about being a complete cheapskate! Touring with Asda carrier bags gaffa taped to the sides of the bike sounds right up my street.
It's worth mentioning I am 6'2" and about 14 stone.
I know I'm just fishing for ideas here, but I would love to hear your experiences, recommendations and thoughts.
Edit: One last thing, if anyone has unusual suggested tour stops in Europe, please say! So far it's just the famous cities on the route
Provisional Tour Details 1st-31st August 2011
Last edited by Freols on 22:55 - 20 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| multijoy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 multijoy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Oct 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Freols |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Freols Derestricted Danger

Joined: 04 May 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| multijoy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 multijoy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Oct 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chillyman0 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chillyman0 Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:06 - 19 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Round the world on two YBR 125s.
2 x YBR 125 = 1 x YBR 250.
You can't argue with maths. Fact. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:32 - 20 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Let me guess that the £1,000 is for 4 week's travel. That's £250 per week. To cover the lot. Thirty five pound a day. So that's going to be camping and fly camping at time's. Your route in Goggle map's need's looking at. As there is no map showing. So I have no idea where you are thinking of going. The bike list to fit you can be as long or as short as you like. But what a bike will happen is that abike will come along that will fit your pocket and you'll buy that. Me I would go for the biggeset bike you can manage. You'll keep it longer. As you out grow small mid range bike's quickley.
John933 ____________________ My trip |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatfan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatfan Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 10 May 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:13 - 21 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did a week in france on an er5 last year. I'm 6'2", and about 18 stone, with loads of luggage, I was still getting 50mpg ish. My arse was numb by the end of it, but I was suffering less than my mate that was on a cbf600. The er5 is an easy bike to work on if it does break down, but mine didn't, except for overheating a little bit in Bordeaux. It was 36C, and we'd been doing 80 most of the day, so I wasn't surprised!
I'm tempted to do it again next year (I'm going round GB this year), but I expect I'll have a bigger bike by then. However, I'd quite happily do it on the er5 again. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c-m |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c-m World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krytenboog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krytenboog Nova Slayer
Joined: 30 Mar 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krytenboog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krytenboog Nova Slayer
Joined: 30 Mar 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:24 - 22 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Maybe worth mentioning that you can swap in a larger front and/or smaller rear sprocket lengthen the gearing. This will get the revs down and the economy up, at the cost of some acceleration and bigger gaps between the gears. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c-m |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c-m World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John933 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John933 Crazy Courier
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|