Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Attempted insurance fraud.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Attempted insurance fraud. Reply with quote

Last year I insured the noddy-car with 'Smart People Budget' for £135 TPFT, and had to ring to opt out of the automatic renewal (I recorded the call). I got the renewal-quote through from them this morning, £196. I have no idea if they'd tried to debit my card but its number changed when it was renewed in february anyway, so meh.

Went on Meercat again and got a quote from the same company for £130. Rang them and was told I was already a customer, was transfered to customer services and they transfered me to renewals; after a total time of 27 minutes listening to "Your call is valuable, please continue to hold" I hung up (lose the business, you utter tools) and rang Auto Trader instead (quote of £135). Over the phone she told me £128.70. And she removed me from the auto-renewal there and then.

Criminal scum, the lot of them. Quoted me £196 via a letter, £130 on Meercat, then screwed me around over the phone and lost the business. Smart People Budget. Laughing Yeah..."smart". My arse. Middle Finger

Cool story etc.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

He said "arse".
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Shocked

He said "arse".


Cost me approx 1p out of a sov. Thumbs Up
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple and a quarter gold scvm!
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Triple and a quarter gold scvm!


I is all minted up, innit. Very Happy
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It annoys me when they quote you one price and then if you phone up they lower it (renewal).

Just give me the best price via letter or phone me.....

I got a renewal quote off them, found a cheaper and better quote (with extras). They then phoned me and asked if I wanted to renew. I told them NO. As you're too expensive. They then asked what price I got it for, I told them and they said that they will match it. I told them if you had quoted that at first Iwould have renewed. I also told them to phone me next year, but make sure you give me your best quote.
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking auto-renewals.
Swinton Swineton sent me a renewal letter with a shite price and said if I WANTED to renew I had to phone them up, other wise I needn't do a thing. Then 4 days before renewal date an almost identical notice saying that if I wanted to renew to do nothing as it will do it automatically, however if I DIDN'T want to renew I had to phone the number at least 7 days before renewal.

Conveniently, the second letter was dated the 4th, despite receiving it on the 14th. Phoned up to give them a piece of ones mind and needless to say they won't be getting any more business from me.

Dirty underhanded tactics with the contradictory letters.
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ay, the other week I had my insurance renewal up, said if I wanted to renew I needn't do a thing as it will be done automatically. Well naturally I wait until the day before the insurance expires to phone up and cancel it before taking out a new policy with somewhere cheaper, only to find they'd already taken the money out (small print which can be read with an electron scanning microscope states they will take the money out 3 days prior to renewal to ensure sufficient funds are present).

Naturally, I had an anal prolapse, so phoned them up ready for war, but to my surprise they were very quick to rectify the situation, with no hassle whatsoever, but since I'd been reading reviews of the insurers customer service prior to making the call I was expecting the worst since there was nothing but bad press about them, so imagine my surprise when it was pretty much sorted in 5 minutes.....

Still shit though, they should never have taken that money in the first place and I feel I was lucky that time, if it had turned sour then I wouldn't have been able to afford the other insurer which would have resulted in weeks of fuckery.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile those in the "know" try to persuade us that there is a very precise formula for coming up with a price.

Yeah, sure there is, but then if you would kindly admit that you apply another formula (or more likely, just casually chuck on a load)that hikes the price by as much as the statistics indicate you will commonly get away with. This also allows you "reduce" the price when the customer kicks off, making the sale and making the customer think they have got a bargain.

Then this auto renewal shite, where they are guaranteed to empty your account right at the most inconvenient time, when you have also long forgotten that they will do so, but apparently given them permission.


Complete con from start to finish. They all might as well be politicians.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's criminal fraud, but clearly enjoys some kind of legal loophole. Due to the govt 'looking out for our interests'. Filth, the lot of them.

But in this case instead of copping the original premium plus the £60+ gouge they lost the lot. Have it scumbags.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had this auto renewal problem because it only affects you if you pay by direct debit or some other kind of installment.

I renewed my bike insurance today, Bennetts were the cheapest (for the first time in my life). I noticed that they actually charge you less if you pay by monthly direct debit, this is the opposite strategy to most insurance companies. The only reason I could think for it is that because it enables them to auto-renew they are trying to entice you to do it instead of a one off payment and hope they catch you out being lazy at renewal. I paid the £5 extra to pay in one go so that there's no risk of auto-renewal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
I've never had this auto renewal problem because it only affects you if you pay by direct debit or some other kind of installment.

I renewed my bike insurance today, Bennetts were the cheapest (for the first time in my life). I noticed that they actually charge you less if you pay by monthly direct debit, this is the opposite strategy to most insurance companies. The only reason I could think for it is that because it enables them to auto-renew they are trying to entice you to do it instead of a one off payment and hope they catch you out being lazy at renewal. I paid the £5 extra to pay in one go so that there's no risk of auto-renewal.


There's another way of looking at this.
Pay us an extra fiver, or we'll auto-renew your policy. I.e. protection money.

Nice one Bennetts, it appears you've dropped to new lows in your attempt to con bikers out of moneys.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
I've never had this auto renewal problem because it only affects you if you pay by direct debit or some other kind of installment.



Wut? Confused I pay the lot up front from a debit-card.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
I've never had this auto renewal problem because it only affects you if you pay by direct debit or some other kind of installment.



Wut? Confused I pay the lot up front from a debit-card.


Same here.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
I've never had this auto renewal problem because it only affects you if you pay by direct debit or some other kind of installment.


Very wrong. Includes cards(lump sum) policies.
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by my insurance company I had to cancel on the last day of the policy, which happened to be Christmas day, luckily enough the renewal was the cheapest by far. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 19 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie B wrote:
I was told by my insurance company I had to cancel on the last day of the policy, which happened to be Christmas day, luckily enough the renewal was the cheapest by far. Thumbs Up


Please name this company so i can ensure i never insure with them.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingah wrote:
Jamie B wrote:
I was told by my insurance company I had to cancel on the last day of the policy, which happened to be Christmas day, luckily enough the renewal was the cheapest by far. Thumbs Up


Please name this company so i can ensure i never insure with them.


https://www.quinn-direct.co.uk/

I believe they went bust, stopped accepting new business but honoured existing business, then renewed our personal car policy.

I have a company car, I am also insured on the other half's car (It's a TDI Beetle)
Tbh she phoned them, I told her not to accept that you can't set a policy to 'not auto renew'
The lovely guy told her "I'm sorry you cant do that, you must cancel the day of expiration" she just said okay and hung up.
As I said, it was lucky that the renewal was £100 cheaper than comparethemarket and gocompare.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:27 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie B wrote:
Ingah wrote:


Please name this company so i can ensure i never insure with them.


https://www.quinn-direct.co.uk/

I believe they went bust, stopped accepting new business but honoured existing business, then renewed our personal car policy.

I have a company car, I am also insured on the other half's car (It's a TDI Beetle)
Tbh she phoned them, I told her not to accept that you can't set a policy to 'not auto renew'
The lovely guy told her "I'm sorry you cant do that, you must cancel the day of expiration" she just said okay and hung up.
As I said, it was lucky that the renewal was £100 cheaper than comparethemarket and gocompare.


Cheers.
They don't insure bikes any more though, so i'm safe. For now.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:02 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Wut? Confused I pay the lot up front from a debit-card.


I've always done this and i've never had a policy auto renew or even threaten to, car or bike, and I change companies pretty much every year for both.

They have no right to store your debit card details to even be able to do an auto renewal, they have to specifically ask you if they can keep your card details on file. Direct debit and standing order are different as they can keep the details stored and so will attempt to renew it. If any company auto renewed using a one off debit card payment you made a year ago you could sue the arse off them for storing it, it'd be the same as paying your gas electric bill on card and then having them automatically debit every following bill from that same card without asking you, it isn't legal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:59 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, every insurer I've been with has tried to auto renew and I always pay lump sums. Just ring them up and tell them you don't want to auto renew..job done.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
They have no right to store your debit card details to even be able to do an auto renewal, they have to specifically ask you if they can keep your card details on file.


So, they have absolutely no right, unless you tell them it is ok??

Sales monkeys go through their scripts, they offer the auto-renewal process. You say yes or no.

2 weeks'ish before renewal you will get a renewal invite stating (if on auto-renewal) that you need do nothing to renew. You don't want to renew, fine, call up and tell them.

All the calls the company I work at are recorded.

I have little sympathy for people that had 'no idea' a policy was going to auto-renew. The same as those who had 'no idea' the registration was wrong on their documents and they got tugged by a ANPR. Docs get sent by your insurer, read them.


All the above is rendered obsolete when a sales monkey presses the wrong button though!!!! Laughing Very Happy Smile Confused Sad Crying or Very sad
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

95Theses
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 20 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same nonsense with Direct Line on my car insurance.

I told them I didn't want to renew because I could get it cheaper elsewhere. They sent me new policy details anyway. I wasn't bothered because I had been sent a new debit card as the old one had expired so they had no hope of actually charging me for something i had told them i didn't want to buy from them.

2 months in they start sending me 'Legal letters' saying I am due them the money for my new policy with them.

They only fucked off when I scanned and emailed the new cover note from the new policy showing I had insured it with someone else on the day the old policy ran out. If I had it off the road and didn't need insurance I suspect they might have tried to take me to court.

Cunts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having some problems atm with trying to renew my VFR, last year I paid £600 for my CBR400 TPO, which was fine, but yesterday I got a phonecall from my insurance, asking if I'd like to renew, they quoted me £1080!!!!! I'm a year older, and have another years NCB, so WTF?!

Went online while I was on the phone again today, and made 100% sure I had entered all of my details correctly, actually relaying them as I went along to the guy on the phone, making sure he agreed, got a quote with a different company for £388 TPF&T, and he's there telling me he doesn't see how that's possible, because their price is so much higher. I checked again, it took me nearly half an hour going through every page, quadruple checking the details were right, and they are. With the above quote I got the option to adjust the quote, so stuck a £250 excess on (£352) and bumped the cover up to FC, came back as £582. So when he rings back I'll just let him know thats what's happened and I'll be going with the other company.

Also, I reckon they must get a quid, or a choccy biccy every time they say 'biggest high street broker' must have said it no less than 10 times in a 30 minute phone call Confused
____________________
'84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 25 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lot of them are lying scum mate. Decent people just assume that no professional over a phone could or would blatantly lie, and that's how they get away with so much of their fraud. They are, in absolute terms, criminals.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.01 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.22 Kb