Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Parking on the pavement.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Parking on the pavement. Reply with quote

Hi,

Quick question; what is the law about parking on the pavement?

I have been told that if the pavement outside the business is large enough, they own up to 3.5 feet of it, and parking there would be with their consent.

I'm going to my tattooist later and they have recently moved to a shop which no longer offers off street parking. I could get the bus, but it is more effort and I need to be back fairly sharpish after the appointment.

Would I be okay parking in the marked area? (with the tattooist' consent).



https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=78105
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the law but I do it all the time. Just be courteous towards people walking, no engine revving, beeping etc.

I still get plenty of evil looks though. Laughing
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very very grey area. You'll have to check with the tattooist as to whether that bit of ground outside his shop is his. That area looks like its council owned though (generally private 'bits' aren't paved like that. That seems like a council jobby)

If it is his, then yeah, you can park there, just make sure your entire bike is in that bit. If not, then no. Mr Warden will come and fook you in bumhole
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

having said what i've said, How long has that A-Board been there (outside Sillhouettes)? Council health and safety jobsworths get weird about A boards, so if that board has been there for a while, it may be because it is actually private land
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement. Reply with quote

Profile looks like you're in London - if so, I'd be very careful, depends on the parking wardens. Anywhere else, I'd just do it.

There was a case where a dentist got parking tickets for parking his scooter on a bit of the pavement he owned. Pretty sure he failed at appeal and still had to pay up - think he even had some concrete flower pots or something out maybe, but it was still ruled as 'publicly accessible' or something equally stupid - may have got it all wron though, forget the details.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
having said what i've said, How long has that A-Board been there (outside Sillhouettes)? Council health and safety jobsworths get weird about A boards, so if that board has been there for a while, it may be because it is actually private land


I have no idea. As you can probably guess though it's an old photo.
The tattooist actually has an A board outside his shop as well.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to park on the pavement I'd cover the number plate, I believe Westminster are the only council that have been to court to be able to remove them by law, how ever Croydon Council are pretty strict on parking Wink
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement. Reply with quote

G wrote:
Profile looks like you're in London - if so, I'd be very careful, depends on the parking wardens. Anywhere else, I'd just do it.

There was a case where a dentist got parking tickets for parking his scooter on a bit of the pavement he owned. Pretty sure he failed at appeal and still had to pay up - think he even had some concrete flower pots or something out maybe, but it was still ruled as 'publicly accessible' or something equally stupid - may have got it all wron though, forget the details.


Sunny Croydon...The Cronx.

I got a ticket 5 years ago for parking on the pavement. But the pizza bikes 10 feet from mine didn't, despite the fact they were obstructing the pavement. I will admit however, that I could have chosen elsewhere to park.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs Benedict wrote:
If you have to park on the pavement I'd cover the number plate, I believe Westminster are the only council that have been to court to be able to remove them by law, how ever Croydon Council are pretty strict on parking Wink


The old 'carrier bag over the number plate' - not as effective as I used to think it was.

A friend of a friend forgot that your tax disc displays the registration number as well, and still got the parking ticket.

I thought I would be clever and turn that around in its housing as well. I was wrong. An ex girlfriend of mine is now a traffic warden for Bromley. Having asked where they stand on this, she said they will remove the carrier bag, or report you for not having any tax (as it has to be displayed on the vehicle).
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got reported for not displaying a tax disc, I replied it was tucked under the front fairing facing inwards to protect it from the elements and less obvious to theft (had 3 nicked previously) and that they shouldnt employ numpties as traffic wardens!

Heard nothing back and that was several years ago
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was told by someone at the Kensington and Chelsea parking fine department (grrrrr!) that they can and do remove the carrier bags ..."That old courier trick doesn't work" he told me, LOL

Oh God, how I love parking on the pavement, especially in London.
It gives me that little frisson of naughtiness "go on then, hassle me about it" (people rarely do, they just glare)
And riding along the pavement ... Shocked Shocked Shocked what a rebel.

But its annoying you can't get away with it for long, cos the parking wardens are just looking for such examples of depraved and unsociable behaviour.

And its not even the parking wardens who want to use their "power" these days under the pathetic excuse of "keeping London moving" .. I used to work in Vauxhall Bridge Road and parked up legally round the back of Victoria Station, in a proper bike bay. But in the shop next to where I worked, a guy worked there who regularly had a very nice trail bike parked up on the glass cobbles, so one day when he wasn't there, I parked mine up there.

The dustmen (RUSSIAN dustmen, I hasten to add, working for Westminster CC) told me that I had to move it, and that if I didn't, they would have it towed away.

Bastids https://forums.macresource.com/smileys/baseballbat.gif

/Hetzer


(can I use the baseball bat smiley again in such quick succession?)
(yes, I think I can... Laughing )

____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally find somewhere to park, but around that area I don't want to leave my bike somewhere out of site. It has an alarm and immobiliser but I only see them as lowering insurance, not preventative theft measures; if a thief is determined enough, they'll have it.

Yes I know, it's only a SV. But its MY SV.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often thought it would be a hoot to get a plate made up (I know people ) with the reg number of a Westminster parking attendant scooter and get a ticket in Camden or vicer versa
Laughing
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scum gave me a ticket for parking in a position similar, but it was most definately land that was privately owned.

There was literally about 12 feet of pavement between the private bit and the road.

I tried the private land thing, but had to get out of it another way. My motorcycle had broken down at the time and was able to provide proof. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs Benedict wrote:
I have often thought it would be a hoot to get a plate made up (I know people ) with the reg number of a Westminster parking attendant scooter and get a ticket in Camden or vicer versa
Laughing


I like this!

However, without wanting to rain on your parade...the photograph they take would tell a different story. If your bike is easily indentifiable to the local area, I'd say you could expect a knock at the door.

J5 wrote:
The scum gave me a ticket for parking in a position similar, but it was most definately land that was privately owned.

There was literally about 12 feet of pavement between the private bit and the road.

I tried the private land thing, but had to get out of it another way. My motorcycle had broken down at the time and was able to provide proof. Wink


As I'm going to be in there for 3 hours+ I think I'll get the bus.

I'll have a word with him later, see if they have anywhere out back.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement. Reply with quote

Chalky wrote:


Sunny Croydon...The Cronx.


Mate, I live in Croydon. Its not worth it. They will ticket you. It annoying but they will.
Parking Bay Locations

Its croydon though, its quite bike friendly. theres loads of bays dotted all over, check it out!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper



Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first flat was just round the corner from there. If i were you, I'd either leave it chained up at halfords at the bottom of the street (they don't really care there) , or leave it next to the school at that "guest house". Its not a guest house at all, just a shelter for the weird and drunk, so there are never any cars. I did that a couple of times with my bike , had no worries.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalky wrote:
Eggs Benedict wrote:
I have often thought it would be a hoot to get a plate made up (I know people ) with the reg number of a Westminster parking attendant scooter and get a ticket in Camden or vicer versa
Laughing


I like this!

However, without wanting to rain on your parade...the photograph they take would tell a different story. If your bike is easily indentifiable to the local area, I'd say you could expect a knock at the door.


I narrowly avoided a bike identification process not likely to chance my arm again, I can dream thou whilist evil laughing uncontrollably Mwahahahahaha Laughing !
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with your parking there unless there's some local bylaw which prevents it.

Just make sure you've dismounted the motorcycle to wheel it across the footpath as I think there are legal implications driving across.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement. Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
Mate, I live in Croydon. Its not worth it. They will ticket you. It annoying but they will.
Parking Bay Locations

Its croydon though, its quite bike friendly. theres loads of bays dotted all over, check it out!


Thanks for that. Sadly none near enough for where I want to go.


GSTEEL32 wrote:
My first flat was just round the corner from there. If i were you, I'd either leave it chained up at halfords at the bottom of the street (they don't really care there) , or leave it next to the school at that "guest house". Its not a guest house at all, just a shelter for the weird and drunk, so there are never any cars. I did that a couple of times with my bike , had no worries.


I forgot about Halfrauds. I'll park up there!
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about that whole 'they cant remove a bike cover' thing? Some one told me that but i'm yet to believe it.
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichieZX6R wrote:
what about that whole 'they cant remove a bike cover' thing? Some one told me that but i'm yet to believe it.


I would imagine the same applies as to the carrier bag. It will be removed by the jobs worth you're un lucky enough to have looking at your bike. But I could be wrong as there are plenty of bikes around (and some cars) parked up with covers on.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i say i'm yet to hear about any one getting off on this techncality just heard it in passing.

Glad i have no reason to head south. Usually park anywhere here Laughing
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly can be OK in some instances, because there are many streets like that which originally had little plots in front of the house, and still technically own a yard or two of pavement.
I think some businesses quite like a bike parked outside as an attention grabber.
I had to get a big bunch of flyers printed once and the shop owner almost pleaded that I parked my bandit on his frontage.
I think they felt it made the place look more busy!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fucking sad country to live in nowadays. Where you can't park a bike that will clearly not obstruct, hinder or inconvenience anybody in the slightest, without having to worry about being shafted for parking fines.
Peaked cap wearers, I've shit em.


Dog
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.24 Kb