|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:44 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: Parking on the pavement. |
 |
|
Hi,
Quick question; what is the law about parking on the pavement?
I have been told that if the pavement outside the business is large enough, they own up to 3.5 feet of it, and parking there would be with their consent.
I'm going to my tattooist later and they have recently moved to a shop which no longer offers off street parking. I could get the bus, but it is more effort and I need to be back fairly sharpish after the appointment.
Would I be okay parking in the marked area? (with the tattooist' consent).
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=78105 ____________________ This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MonkeyKnuckle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MonkeyKnuckle World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jan 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:55 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't know about the law but I do it all the time. Just be courteous towards people walking, no engine revving, beeping etc.
I still get plenty of evil looks though.  ____________________ MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dragstaar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dragstaar World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dragstaar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dragstaar World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easter Bunny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easter Bunny World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:17 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you have to park on the pavement I'd cover the number plate, I believe Westminster are the only council that have been to court to be able to remove them by law, how ever Croydon Council are pretty strict on parking  ____________________ The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:19 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement. |
 |
|
| G wrote: | Profile looks like you're in London - if so, I'd be very careful, depends on the parking wardens. Anywhere else, I'd just do it.
There was a case where a dentist got parking tickets for parking his scooter on a bit of the pavement he owned. Pretty sure he failed at appeal and still had to pay up - think he even had some concrete flower pots or something out maybe, but it was still ruled as 'publicly accessible' or something equally stupid - may have got it all wron though, forget the details. |
Sunny Croydon...The Cronx.
I got a ticket 5 years ago for parking on the pavement. But the pizza bikes 10 feet from mine didn't, despite the fact they were obstructing the pavement. I will admit however, that I could have chosen elsewhere to park. ____________________ This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easter Bunny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easter Bunny World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:49 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah I was told by someone at the Kensington and Chelsea parking fine department (grrrrr!) that they can and do remove the carrier bags ..."That old courier trick doesn't work" he told me, LOL
Oh God, how I love parking on the pavement, especially in London.
It gives me that little frisson of naughtiness "go on then, hassle me about it" (people rarely do, they just glare)
And riding along the pavement ... what a rebel.
But its annoying you can't get away with it for long, cos the parking wardens are just looking for such examples of depraved and unsociable behaviour.
And its not even the parking wardens who want to use their "power" these days under the pathetic excuse of "keeping London moving" .. I used to work in Vauxhall Bridge Road and parked up legally round the back of Victoria Station, in a proper bike bay. But in the shop next to where I worked, a guy worked there who regularly had a very nice trail bike parked up on the glass cobbles, so one day when he wasn't there, I parked mine up there.
The dustmen (RUSSIAN dustmen, I hasten to add, working for Westminster CC) told me that I had to move it, and that if I didn't, they would have it towed away.
Bastids https://forums.macresource.com/smileys/baseballbat.gif
/Hetzer
(can I use the baseball bat smiley again in such quick succession?)
(yes, I think I can... ) ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easter Bunny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easter Bunny World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:00 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have often thought it would be a hoot to get a plate made up (I know people ) with the reg number of a Westminster parking attendant scooter and get a ticket in Camden or vicer versa
 ____________________ The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnsmith222 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnsmith222 World Chat Champion
Joined: 26 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:09 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
The scum gave me a ticket for parking in a position similar, but it was most definately land that was privately owned.
There was literally about 12 feet of pavement between the private bit and the road.
I tried the private land thing, but had to get out of it another way. My motorcycle had broken down at the time and was able to provide proof.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dragstaar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dragstaar World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GSTEEL32 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GSTEEL32 Traffic Copper

Joined: 24 Feb 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easter Bunny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easter Bunny World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jim Mc |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jim Mc Nearly there...
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:45 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement. |
 |
|
| dragstaar wrote: | Mate, I live in Croydon. Its not worth it. They will ticket you. It annoying but they will.
Parking Bay Locations
Its croydon though, its quite bike friendly. theres loads of bays dotted all over, check it out! |
Thanks for that. Sadly none near enough for where I want to go.
| GSTEEL32 wrote: | My first flat was just round the corner from there. If i were you, I'd either leave it chained up at halfords at the bottom of the street (they don't really care there) , or leave it next to the school at that "guest house". Its not a guest house at all, just a shelter for the weird and drunk, so there are never any cars. I did that a couple of times with my bike , had no worries. |
I forgot about Halfrauds. I'll park up there! ____________________ This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RichieZX6R |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RichieZX6R Nearly there...

Joined: 15 Jan 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Renton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Renton World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RichieZX6R |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RichieZX6R Nearly there...

Joined: 15 Jan 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:54 - 28 Mar 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
as i say i'm yet to hear about any one getting off on this techncality just heard it in passing.
Glad i have no reason to head south. Usually park anywhere here  ____________________ Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| doggone |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 doggone World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodgydog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodgydog World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Sep 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|