Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cagers outta my way.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Cagers outta my way. Reply with quote

Anyone else noticed that cars seem to readily pull over out of the way on duals and motorways lately? I still get the odd idiot sitting at 70 in the outside lane for ages but generally people are getting out of my way. Maybe it's my exhausts? Damn loud they are. Hmm dunno.

Do any of you lot undertake much when you get frustrated with 70mph tools? I have done it a few times to be honest although I do it carefully. Kind of. Embarassed
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, been using my leg wave quite abit of late.
Yes, i'll undertake if i get the opportunity.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Cagers outta my way. Reply with quote

ZaphodBeeble wrote:
Anyone else noticed that cars seem to readily pull over out of the way on duals and motorways lately? I still get the odd idiot sitting at 70 in the outside lane for ages but generally people are getting out of my way. Maybe it's my exhausts? Damn loud they are. Hmm dunno.

Do any of you lot undertake much when you get frustrated with 70mph tools? I have done it a few times to be honest although I do it carefully. Kind of. Embarassed


Undertake: yes
Get frustrated: not much

Beware the red mist - it's very hard to see through Smile
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Agreed. Be clinical. Thumbs Up
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Cagers outta my way. Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Beware the red mist - it's very hard to see through Smile


I hear ya but I rarely get angry. Just annoyed sometimes. It still beats being in a car. Smile
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have people pulling over to let me past on single carridgeways, but that might just be because i sit on their arse till they do pull over, or i get a chance to overtake.

Yes, it's stupid, yes i know the risks of doing that, and yes, i realise it gives us a bad name, but i'm a 19 year old hooligan, and cagers round here hardly notice bikes as it is.

I'd rather piss a cager off and make sure they've seen me than be calm and relaxed, and hope they've seen me Thumbs Up

Dual carridgeways.... not so much, but then again, hardly anyone sits in the overtaking lane up here. apart from me.

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Try holding back abit more but visible in the drivers door mirror.
If they decide to 'brake-test' you're more likely to have a sore face....My way, you stand a chance of either out braking them, or slipping up the outside.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertake when I need to and even filter if there's a bit of traffic, bit of an arsecheek clencher filtering at 50 though, seems like a good idea at the time but I usually regret it later when thinking of squeezing past massive lorries... I'm too impatient for my own good.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:46 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Cagers outta my way. Reply with quote

ZaphodBeeble wrote:
I still get the odd idiot sitting at 70 in the outside lane

Do any of you lot undertake much when you get frustrated with 70mph tools? Embarassed


I never overtake or under take anyone going at 70mph on the motorway. Thats the legal limit officer and I never break the limit. Shifty Shhh! Silence Wink
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i'm in the cage (since the bikes not finished yet) i tend to move over if i see a bikes lights in the rear mirror Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it when cars do that to be honest, I feel obligated to make a move which might not be what I want to do... I do like it when people move over in slow moving traffic so I can filter past easily though Thumbs Up
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

HisInfernalDRZ wrote:
I don't like it when cars do that to be honest, I feel obligated to make a move which might not be what I want to do... I do like it when people move over in slow moving traffic so I can filter past easily though Thumbs Up


I tend to do it if i see the bike in the distance rather than causing them to slow as i tend to trundle along at 60/65 with the cruise control Laughing
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

people driving in the gutter annoys me somewhat! On a side road they get so far over you think they are going to have an accident and wipe you out as well! I tend to be more focused on this than the road!

Only move on dual carriage ways when there's plently of pace. I get annoyed somewhat about cars getting in my way when i'm on a bike.
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should get a video at some point. bikes with fairings must look a lot more scary than nekkid bikes...

Driving in the gutted is one the old people here do anyway Laughing i hate driving with my grandad, he drives about an inch from the kerb.

I feel bad if someone pulls over to let me overtake when i don't want to, i usally either scream past them and wave a thanks, or hang further back...

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm in the outside lane driving at 70 with traffic in front of me, why should I move over for you? Why are you more important and in a hurry to get somewhere faster than me?

On the flip side I never bothered with waiting and filtered past them. If you're going to sit in traffic then why have the bike?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:


Driving in the gutted is one the old people here do anyway Laughing i hate driving with my grandad, he drives about an inch from the kerb.



it's the training they got, my stepdad still rides his motorbike about a foot from the curb, terrified me.
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
On the flip side I never bothered with waiting and filtered past them. If you're going to sit in traffic then why have the bike?


Thats one thing i've never understood, seen bikes/scooters sitting traffic and i've filtered past them on a dual carriageway with a long tailback from the lights. Especially in the rain i see the same people sitting when i want to get home quicker (making sure not to slip on the white lines so i filter slower).
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time you were taught that, on a motorcycle, keep to the left.


But because of mainly traffic and attitudes in modern society, the rule taught now is to keep in the middle of your lane. Prodominately to keep people from overtaking I think.
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It frightens me seeing how close to the gutter some peds ride on single track roads. Some even ride so far to the left it invites traffic to try and pass them with oncoming traffic, causing some very close calls!

I was always taught to maintain a dominant road position as you only find two things in the gutter... Shit and dead bikers!
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What irks me the most is when the nearside is free, so you pull past a slow moving vehicle or lorry. There's a guy ahead doing 70. He pulls over to let you pass. You then go to the nearside lane because it's free and continue on your way. You subsequently look back into the mirror to see that he's already in the central reservation despite the LHS lane being empty!

Fair enough they're out of your way, but their discipline is poor!

Undertaking as illegal as it seems is sometimes the only way for me. If they're doing 60 when the LHS is clear, I WILL undertake 8 out of 10 times. The only time when I don't is when I suspect there might be an unmarked behind me or if i'm coming up to a sliproad.

Worst offenders seem to be mothers on the school run because they're distracted by their kids amongst other things.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will happily undertake if in the car or on the bike. But will consider it more carefully if its a big lorry (on either). Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:


Undertaking as illegal


Argh, who keeps spreading this crap Evil or Very Mad

'Undertaking' (overtaking on the inside) is not illegal in itself, check the highway code!
(Exception being that it can be used as part of a case to prove careless/dangerous driving).
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're undertaking at 80-90mph it bloody WELL is illegal!

I've been pulled up on it before by a jobsworth with my argument being that the overtaken vehicle should have the presence of mind to move to a more convenient and appropriate lane for their speed.

But that said, the way I ride, I seem pretty fluid when "making progress" that it might to unsuspecting eyes come over as slightly careless.

I suppose loud can and dipped beams ensure that they know what's behind. But you still get odd few who don't move over out of stubbornness or just inattentiveness. The stubborn drivers are the dangerous ones because an undertake can be construed as being an "aggressive move" on your part, and I've had one almost pull into my lane when I was moving past his left hand side. Some might just be inexperienced and get intimidated by it

Keep your wits about you, but in front of traffic seems to be the safest option for me. Anticipate the stupid and expect the idiocy from 70mph central reservation sitters.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The View Askew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Once upon a time you were taught that, on a restricted 50cc, keep to the left.


But because of mainly traffic and attitudes in modern society, the rule taught now is to keep in the middle of your lane. Prodominately to keep people from overtaking I think.


Fixed! I would doubt that most riders here have any problems involving being overtaken by cars.

I see a comment or two about tailgating, if I am in my car and someone rides my arse they will receive a short burst of heavy braking, not to cause a collision, but to warn them that if we needed to stop in the event of an emergency, they may well go straight into the back of me.

Tailgating is dangerous and annoying.
____________________
"Do what you always did, get what you always got"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 30 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ZX9 is superb for waking sleepy cagers, high beams on the wing mirror works wonders even if it is a little on the obnoxious side.

The XJR isn't so good at it but then I'm rarely the fastest thing on the road on that anyway so it's rare that I feel like I'm getting held up on the thing. The only time I annoyed about people crawling is on merging lanes, you end up with a lot of traffic all trying to squeeze into the same bit of road which is never much fun on a wheezy 20 year old 400 Laughing
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.19 Kb