Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Champix

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Champix Reply with quote

Basically as in a previous post i made about giving up smoking i have not been able to get through it without willpower, i last 2 week and then started smoking again. I smoke about 5/6 instead of the 20 now, but i still want to completely give up.

Now i have heard that a few people have used champix and its worked well. Now has anyone used it? And if so is it any good? Also how do you go about getting it?
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently hot hypnotised and that actually seems to have worked.

personally I found that if you quit the things you associate with smoking it makes it far easier. I.e. I gave up booze for 3 months I had little trouble quitting the fags as well.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it for 6 months, and was the only thing I've found that helps. It sort of takes away the desire to smoke, and you forget that you are a smoker (its hard to explain, but really different to nicotine replacement).

I'm back on the tabs now cos I lost will power at the time I came of the champix, but I think if (or when) I want to give up again, I'd go straight back to it, but take a lower maintainence dose for longer.
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up a 25 year, 30 a day habit last year using Zyban - similar to Champix.

It worked an absolute treat. Been smoke free for about 12 months now. I still have the occasional nicotine gum, but it's fucking brill not lighting up. Get from the GP no problem.

My other half tried Champix but suffered really badly from depression while using it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that does concern me is the side affects, and one of them being diziness and high blood pressure. Now my blood pressure is classed at well controlled with 140/90 sometimes a bit lower. And the Bendroflumethiazide i'm on causes diziness.

So hope it wont affect me too much while taking my other drugs.
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate went loopy on Champix, suffered very badly with depression. Thats the only reason I haven't given it a go and like you I have struggled with willpower alone.

I'm on 6-7 per day now and gradually reduce it then go on a bender of some sort and it'll be 25+ for the night again. Its not good, not good at all.
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only side effects I had were really vivid dreams which to be honest were really quite cool Very Happy

My blood presssure went down rather than up, prob as a result of not smoking.

With regards to depression, that could be the fact you are giving up an addiction rather than just the Champix alone (although it is a recognised side effect). All the literature I read suggested that depressive side effects are more frequent with Zyban than Champix.

I had to have a three weekly check up whilst is was on them. Primarily this was to check I hadn't been smoking (the give you a CO breath test), but they also checked my BP, and talked about any side effects etc.
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 03 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its just a case of going to the GP for them? Or do you have to attend one of the smoking cessations?

Be easier as i'm having my 6 monthly MOT from the GP this week.
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started with it now, on the 3rd day of the pre treatment before you stop smoking, been taking one in the morning, next step is one in the morning and one in the evening then pack the fags in next sunday and go back for the months supply to finish it off.
So far no side effects, had a bit of nausea this morning but I think that was more to do with the 10 pints of Sam Smiths bitter consumed last night.
Will update with how its going later. You get it from the GP on prescription. He said it has a success rate of + 70% but will power is still the main thing.

OGR
____________________
2022 Tiger Sport 660 2019 Street Twin 2003 K3 gixxer 1000 1998 Srad 600 track hack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:17 - 04 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everything still needs a degree of willpower. I mean, when I'm knackered on the mountain bike, i can will myself on to push that extra bit of effort up the hill, but thats probably because i can see the top of the hill (target) coming up.

I wish i could just switch off smoking, like i do with drinking. Drinking when i do have a drink, i enjoy it due to the taste, and stop drinking when i lose that taste enjoyment. As i don't see the point in throwing something i don't enjoy down my throat.

Now with smoking out of the 20 ciggies say, i probably enjoy the 1st in the morning and the one after a hefty round of high stress situations at work. Aand the rest are just habitual.

I know if i carry on smoking i will become poorly again, as before i started smoking i was a healthy 13.5 stone, i drunk more but i lead a healthy lifestyle. I now smoke lots, drink not very much, have a poor diet and down to 10 stone 2.

So i wanna put weight back on, save ,yself £105 a month and hopefully improve my fitness for mountain biking.

My mum was a 40 a day smoker at my age till she was 38 and just quit on willpower and had the odd drag now and again for a couple of months after quitting and has been smoke free for 12 years now.

I wanna kick the habit, i just think the big task is how i get through work without one.
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fid1892
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:21 - 08 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lad at work has been smoking about 20 per day for the last 20 years (more on a weekend) and he tried Champix after failing with the nicotine patches in the past.

He's on 8 weeks now and hasn't felt the urge for a cigarette at all - he did say that he had to insist to the doctor that he wanted to try Champix, as the doctor initially wanted to try other methods ?

Good luck in giving up !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.43 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.21 Kb