Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Little Chef

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Little Chef Reply with quote

I like to stay at family restaurant for a long time eating and drinking "drink-bar" watching internet on my mobile. I read BCF on my mobile scrolling and scrolling too.
It's a place to relax for me. I can't relax at McDonald small chair and table full of school girls.
I found on the internet that "Little Chef" is one of the most popular road side restaurant in UK. I missed to visit Little Chef last time.
Is it a good restaurant value for money? Do you like Little Chef?
https://www.littlechef.co.uk/images/header/logo-littlechef.png
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
J4mes This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait wait I'm not trolling at all..

I like Denny's here.
https://www.dennys.jp/dny/images/top_head_logo.jpg
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
I am fresh fish on here, but even I think obvious troll is obvious Wink

Kawashima has been here since 2005 and has two gold blobs, yet you think he's a troll? Fuck me, do they grow you newbies in jars or something? Confused

I haven't been to Little Chef for years, but last time I was there it was typically greasy 'traditional English' food. It wasn't particularly good, certainly not worth a special visit.
____________________
the warped one: This is a follow up from the thread 'my willy hurts'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
I am fresh fish on here, but even I think obvious troll is obvious Wink


You'll learn.

Little Chef isn't a particularly good restaurant, quite expensive and often not very clean. The food can sometimes be good but more usually it's "acceptable" and sometimes just plain bad. Personally I tend to avoid them these days and I'd guess that many other people do as well, the entire chain has been on the verge of shutting down for a few years now.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
I am fresh fish on here, but even I think obvious troll is obvious Wink


No you can't.



Kawashima San, Little chef as a bad reputation over here. Expensive food that isn't very nice with poor service. They are a joke people only use them when they have no other choice.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Thief. You won't be a Happy Eater if you stay there...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwntifex wrote:
J4mes wrote:
I am fresh fish on here, but even I think obvious troll is obvious Wink

Kawashima has been here since 2005 and has two gold blobs, yet you think he's a troll? Fuck me, do they grow you newbies in jars or something? Confused

I haven't been to Little Chef for years, but last time I was there it was typically greasy 'traditional English' food. It wasn't particularly good, certainly not worth a special visit.

I admit I sometimes make bad topics Embarassed .
Thank you for your response. Thumbs Up
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:
I admit I sometimes make bad topics Embarassed


Don't know what anyone else thinks but can't say I'd noticed you making any particularly bad threads, your English can sometimes read a little strangely but it's a damn sight better than many of the posters on here and certainly a hell of a lot better than my Japanese Laughing
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have been hanging on a thin thread for the past ten to fifteen years. Restaurants closing down and giving way to housing developments, yet other places are being refurbished. For a while they seemed to open up mini burger king franchises within the little chef, though this was quite shortlived.

There is one at the top of the A34 closed for refurbishment at this very moment.

When I was younger it used to be an acceptable place to go for a family meal, at a reasonable price. Though the whole little chef brand has always seemed tacky, I even remember thinking that as an 8 year old.

I havent been for years, but the signature dish used to be the Olympic breakfast. You also used to be able to get bottomless glasses of coke.

It's still less of a rip off than what our motorway services have become, and at least has an outside chance of containing some nutrition compared to the likes of Macdonalds.

It is typically British in that it has taken a succesful brand and slowly and systematically flushed it down the crapper.

Personally, places like this are all about atmosphere, and little chef seems to vary hugely in this respect. In contrast to Macdonalds restaurants which have a guaranteed universal bad atmosphere across the board.

I never have a call to use them, because you can't park an articulated lorry in any of their car parks. Or very few.

[EDIT] Oh, and if you got an impression of poor hygiene, dirty premises, or greasy slop you should check out a few truck stops. Luckily for them, joe public will never have call or desperation to venture inside your average truck stop. Sick
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976


Last edited by WildGoose on 16:09 - 05 Apr 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up kawashima, i'd say you are one of the most interesting people on here for a variety of reasons.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Use one occasionally. One is a convenient meeting point when visiting a client.

Their cherry pancakes make up for a lot of their faults.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AL-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one near us closed down and is now some curry place which is a whole lot better Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember going to Little Chef for the first time in the 90’s as a young lad. I had cooked meal, something like ham, egg & chips and I remember it being really nice.
I had a lolly for finishing it afterwards too. Also, they had a small tuck shop there where I bought a I-spy book of cars for the journey home. I still have the book! Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Their cherry pancakes make up for a lot of their faults.
with a mini-slab of vanilla ice-cream Thumbs Up
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I will order cherry pancakes with a mini-slab of vanilla ice-cream if I could visit Little Chef in the future Thumbs Up
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe the Cherry ones are called Jubilee Pancakes, I remember having them about 20 years ago - they haven't changed since then and make it almost worthwhile going Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Keep it up kawashima, i'd say you are one of the most interesting people on here for a variety of reasons.

Have to agree. Hope you didn't get the impression that I was insulting you, kawa. Karma
____________________
the warped one: This is a follow up from the thread 'my willy hurts'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Little Chef.

There. I said it. I know they're a shadow of their former self, but buy me an Olympic Breakfast and I'm anyone's. *






* although I'm pretty much anyone's for a bacon and egg sammidge Thumbs Up
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got Michelin-starred chef Heston Blumenthal to try and overhaul 'the brand' a couple of years ago. He was faced with numerous problems, like the kitchens not actually having a cooker.

I'll confess I haven't been in one for quite some years. Quality varies... it may have something to do with how tired and hungry you are. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been touring in europe, travelling light - not even any kit to make tea.
It was heaven having a full English breakfast at a little chef in kent, with a pot of tea the first morning back in UK
They are quite expensive but the food is very standardised, so wherever you stop should be almost the same - so you aren't going to get something really bad.

Some other roadside places are good, but some don't care as they know you are unlikely to visit again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know how they still exist, all I can think is that they are owned by some giant company that can afford such a money sink. I remember going to Happy Eater as a kid which i think became Little Chef which again I remember going to on holidays (woo).

In more recent times they were always empty and ridiculously priced bearing in mind they're only on A-roads and not motorways which command stupid premiums regardless. I recall a few years ago they drastically reduced their prices in an attempt to gain custom but every single restuarant i've seen is always empty, only eaten in one once in the last 5 years, it was ok but still expensive. I'd personally suggest you visit a Toby Carvery or something instead, on a quiet night you can stuff yourself silly on roast for not much money.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't enjoy Toby Carvery, seems a confused concept, self serve under the pretense of being a proper restaurant. Evening meal type place.

If you are going to go out for a roast dinner, I feel its missing the point to have to walk round a buffet with a tray to pick at stuff thats been sitting out under a lamp.

If I want to go out to eat I want to be waited on, and have stuff that has just been cooked. Cheap price notwithstanding. Even little chef has waiting staff.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any of their fare other than an Olympic but as Shaggy mentions they're pretty good.

Personally when it comes to 'on the road' food nothing beats local knowledge of greasy spoon cafe's, there's a couple near me that I've been going to for years and their quality and value for money is second to none Thumbs Up
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
made me really want an xl bacon double cheese.


Shocked Drooling

Damn you to the very pits of fiery hell, with much brimstone.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.98 Kb