|
|
| Author |
Message |
| nomoregt4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nomoregt4 Nova Slayer

Joined: 27 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:01 - 12 Apr 2011 Post subject: Track day virgin |
 |
|
Well good evening to you all out there.
As the title suggests, I'm wanting to take part in my first track day. I've never been on the track, but have 4-5 years riding & 15 years driving experience behind me.
I personally think it would be a huge advantage if I were to hire out an instructor for the day so they can advise me as much as possible as I'd want to get as much out of my first track experience as possible so I can then take my newly learnt skills to the next track day.
Now I'm not wanting to take my road bike onto the track, just in case I have the miss fortune of coming off. So I think I'll be looking on Ebay etc to find myself a mechanically sound bike.
I was thinking something like a 400cc would suit me fine. I'm not wanting to spend thousands on a track bike, far from it actually. I would be looking at a bike that's mechanically solid, but I don't mind it being cosmetically challenged
Can anyone suggest any bikes in the 400cc category?
The only bikes I can think of are Honda CBR & VFR. Any other suggestions for me so I'm not trawling through Ebay at the cruisers & supermotos
Cheers,
Rich |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wabby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wabby Trackday Trickster
Joined: 25 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete247 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete247 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:43 - 13 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
My first track day I hired an R6 for it, as said most TDOs offer free instruction for a session if you want it, MSV however charge £25 (or at least did on the day I did at Cadwell last year)
Much better to hire a bike and see if you like it rather than buy a bike just for it, the TDO will be able to get you in touch with someone who will hire you a bike, it will come fully sorted for the track and will prob even have tyre warmers.
You will love it, just don't feel pressured to ride faster than you are comfortable with  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nomoregt4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nomoregt4 Nova Slayer

Joined: 27 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nomoregt4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nomoregt4 Nova Slayer

Joined: 27 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:07 - 16 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Depends on how bad the damage was I guess?
More importantly, I'd be fuming if someone went into me on the track & didn't want to cough up  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ben. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ben. World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nomoregt4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nomoregt4 Nova Slayer

Joined: 27 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:04 - 23 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Ben. wrote: | | nomoregt4 wrote: | More importantly, I'd be fuming if someone went into me on the track & didn't want to cough up  |
your not on the road anymore, if you cant handle it, dont go.
Fed up of whinny people who treat track days like riding fast on the road. No... you will be with people who are pushing the limits of their bike, dont like the risk? You know where the exit is. |
What helpful advice this is you've just given me Ben. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge & expertise with me.
Did I say I can't handle it? No. Did I mention anything about a track day being the same as riding fast on the road? Again, no.
Anyone else think my original post/comments are 'whinny?'
I've merely asked for any helpful advice from friendly members on here for my first track day & not to be told to fuck off if you can't handle taking the risks,. Thanks Ben, you're just the guy I want to be taking advice from, cheers
I'm not in the advantageous position of owning a modern day track bike & a modern road bike, so I was purely asking for any advice on which older 400cc bike to get, so if the worst came to the worst, I wouldn't mind if it slid down the track.
If you've got nothing helpful to say, shut it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shmindy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shmindy L Plate Warrior
Joined: 20 Apr 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:11 - 27 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would book yourself into the novice group at a local track and just have some fun on your own bike. Like others have said, beg/borrow/steal a set of race fairings or second hand scratched set. I bought a whole fairing set for mine for £50. Bolt it on and you're good to go.
Take it easy and if you relax and look where you are going you shouldn't crash. Just slowly build up speed as and when you start to feel confident. If you find that you really enjoy track days THEN think about investing in a track bike. Don't go for a 400, you will be better off with a 600. At least then you have something to grow into and the spares are more readily available and newer...
All too many people like the idea of going fast on track and splash out serious amounts of cash on a track bike for them to then finally get on track, shit themselves and never go back on again. I does happen. Not saying you will but you never know until you get on.
One thing though... Whatever you end up doing, make sure you have a decent set of tyres. Tyres make a HUGE difference to how the bike will feel on track
Good luck and have fun! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ben. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ben. World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:18 - 27 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| nomoregt4 wrote: |
What helpful advice this is you've just given me Ben. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge & expertise with me.
Did I say I can't handle it? No. Did I mention anything about a track day being the same as riding fast on the road? Again, no.
Anyone else think my original post/comments are 'whinny?'
I've merely asked for any helpful advice from friendly members on here for my first track day & not to be told to fuck off if you can't handle taking the risks,. Thanks Ben, you're just the guy I want to be taking advice from, cheers
I'm not in the advantageous position of owning a modern day track bike & a modern road bike, so I was purely asking for any advice on which older 400cc bike to get, so if the worst came to the worst, I wouldn't mind if it slid down the track.
If you've got nothing helpful to say, shut it. |
Your initial post was fine, but then you started moaning about how you would expect someone to pay for you if they crashed into you.
I understand your a novice and all of this, perhaps you should do novice only days or something.
But theres people like you that go around in the fast group, on their nice shiny road bikes thinking they're rossi. They hold everyone up and then moan when you pass too close.
Tracks are dangerous, per mile covered, tracks are way more dangerous than roads, you get loads of people crashing everyday, the majority of them are fine, but you still get a few that die every year, and its not uncommon for people to end up with broken bones and life changing injuries. Granted people associate that more with racing than a track day but the risk is still pretty high on a track day.
Bah, perhaps i'm taking it a bit too seriously and should stick with acu licence days, where people are like minded, and i actually trust their skill level.
long rambiling post but my point is: your going into a dangerous environment, dont moan if you crash or someone crashes into you. ____________________ follow my racing season
Race bike - R6
Road bike - sv650 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete247 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete247 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nomoregt4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nomoregt4 Nova Slayer

Joined: 27 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:09 - 27 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all the advice guys. I wouldn't dream of entering any class but the novice group. I know my limitations & know I'm totally inexperienced at track days. I'm wanting to start at the bottom, build my confidence up gradually & most importantly, I want to enjoy myself
D O G: I have a cbr 600RR.
Rich |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete247 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete247 Scooby Slapper
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:10 - 27 Apr 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
CBR 600 RR is made for the track - just use it. You'll be much more familiar with it too which is a bonus.
I've not done loads of days - only four, 1st one in novice, rest in inters. Never saw a crash in either group I was in. Only came near to crashing once myself, and on reflection I was pretty far away from actually binning it.
Book a day, go, treat it as a learning experience. You will be absolutely fine. Hopefully.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|