Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Track day virgin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

nomoregt4
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Track day virgin Reply with quote

Well good evening to you all out there.

As the title suggests, I'm wanting to take part in my first track day. I've never been on the track, but have 4-5 years riding & 15 years driving experience behind me.

I personally think it would be a huge advantage if I were to hire out an instructor for the day so they can advise me as much as possible as I'd want to get as much out of my first track experience as possible so I can then take my newly learnt skills to the next track day.

Now I'm not wanting to take my road bike onto the track, just in case I have the miss fortune of coming off. So I think I'll be looking on Ebay etc to find myself a mechanically sound bike.

I was thinking something like a 400cc would suit me fine. I'm not wanting to spend thousands on a track bike, far from it actually. I would be looking at a bike that's mechanically solid, but I don't mind it being cosmetically challenged Laughing

Can anyone suggest any bikes in the 400cc category?

The only bikes I can think of are Honda CBR & VFR. Any other suggestions for me so I'm not trawling through Ebay at the cruisers & supermotos Laughing

Cheers,

Rich
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wabby
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZXR400 mate for sure.
____________________
What restriction?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 12 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a trackbike yet. Its a ridiculous investment to make when you've got no idea if you even LIKE trackdays.

You can't 'hire out an instructor' for an entire day, unless you do the california superbike school or similar.

Now, having some experience of trackdays I think that I am in a good position to advise you on this. I would reccomend that you find a trackday company that will hire out a 600cc bike to you (or allow you to hire someone elses). When I say trackday, I mean trackday and not race school though because you need to try it out on your own before you get instruction. I know that sounds crazy but it makes loads of sense. You've no idea if you'll be fast or slow on your first outing, and you'll have no idea what your weaknesses are or what your strengths might be. The experience of riding on track for the first time can be overwhelming and so trying to combine that with following instruction might be a bit too much.

Every trackday I've been on (15+) have had free instruction available for one or two sessions at a time. Make use of this, but only after you've had a few sessions out on track first. Once you've done one or two trackdays you can decide if you want to buy your own trackday and if you need to do some more specialised instruction like the California Superbike School.

Make sure you start off in the novice group, and it doesn't matter if you're fast or slow on your first time out... the important thing is you get comfortable riding on track and you enjoy yourself.

Don't buy a trackbike yet, and don't do a race school until you've done a few trackdays.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first track day I hired an R6 for it, as said most TDOs offer free instruction for a session if you want it, MSV however charge £25 (or at least did on the day I did at Cadwell last year)

Much better to hire a bike and see if you like it rather than buy a bike just for it, the TDO will be able to get you in touch with someone who will hire you a bike, it will come fully sorted for the track and will prob even have tyre warmers.

You will love it, just don't feel pressured to ride faster than you are comfortable with Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:09 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these two said.

If your bike is fairly cheap I'd say do it on that. You'd have to cause more than £300 worth of damage before hiring a track bike is worth it anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 13 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: Track day virgin Reply with quote

nomoregt4 wrote:

Now I'm not wanting to take my road bike onto the track, just in case I have the miss fortune of coming off.


But you ride it on the road. People fall off on the road all the time.

If you really think you're likely to crash, get some track fairings or grotty old road fairings for it.

You don't need instruction, you don't need a special bike, you don't need tyre warmers. A trackday is just riding round in circles at your own pace with very little to hit. Save all the 'spending money on improving' stuff until you can't improve by yourself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nomoregt4
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 14 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: Track day virgin Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
nomoregt4 wrote:

Now I'm not wanting to take my road bike onto the track, just in case I have the miss fortune of coming off.


But you ride it on the road. People fall off on the road all the time


& that's what my insurance premium is for. I was under the impression that if you took your bike on the track, your insurance premium does not cover you for track days or 'racing events'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 15 Apr 2011    Post subject: Re: Track day virgin Reply with quote

nomoregt4 wrote:
& that's what my insurance premium is for. I was under the impression that if you took your bike on the track, your insurance premium does not cover you for track days or 'racing events'.


Yes, but would you claim if you were involved in a single vehicle accident whilst on the road?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nomoregt4
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how bad the damage was I guess?

More importantly, I'd be fuming if someone went into me on the track & didn't want to cough up Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 16 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomoregt4 wrote:


More importantly, I'd be fuming if someone went into me on the track & didn't want to cough up Twisted Evil


Extremely rare.

Like I say, if you get fairings then you're unlikely to do much damage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 17 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomoregt4 wrote:
More importantly, I'd be fuming if someone went into me on the track & didn't want to cough up Twisted Evil



your not on the road anymore, if you cant handle it, dont go.

Fed up of whinny people who treat track days like riding fast on the road. No... you will be with people who are pushing the limits of their bike, dont like the risk? You know where the exit is.
____________________
follow my racing season
Race bike - R6
Road bike - sv650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nomoregt4
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 23 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben. wrote:
nomoregt4 wrote:
More importantly, I'd be fuming if someone went into me on the track & didn't want to cough up Twisted Evil



your not on the road anymore, if you cant handle it, dont go.

Fed up of whinny people who treat track days like riding fast on the road. No... you will be with people who are pushing the limits of their bike, dont like the risk? You know where the exit is.


What helpful advice this is you've just given me Ben. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge & expertise with me.

Did I say I can't handle it? No. Did I mention anything about a track day being the same as riding fast on the road? Again, no.
Anyone else think my original post/comments are 'whinny?'

I've merely asked for any helpful advice from friendly members on here for my first track day & not to be told to fuck off if you can't handle taking the risks,. Thanks Ben, you're just the guy I want to be taking advice from, cheers Middle Finger

I'm not in the advantageous position of owning a modern day track bike & a modern road bike, so I was purely asking for any advice on which older 400cc bike to get, so if the worst came to the worst, I wouldn't mind if it slid down the track.

If you've got nothing helpful to say, shut it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shmindy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 26 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first Track day on my road bike at cadwell, novice only day, but you can do taster sesions for around £25 its aimed at first timers so I would prob say try that first see how you feel You can have full day instruction but its costly and if track isnt for you then it money wasted !! I would opt for the free instruction available.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would book yourself into the novice group at a local track and just have some fun on your own bike. Like others have said, beg/borrow/steal a set of race fairings or second hand scratched set. I bought a whole fairing set for mine for £50. Bolt it on and you're good to go.

Take it easy and if you relax and look where you are going you shouldn't crash. Just slowly build up speed as and when you start to feel confident. If you find that you really enjoy track days THEN think about investing in a track bike. Don't go for a 400, you will be better off with a 600. At least then you have something to grow into and the spares are more readily available and newer...

All too many people like the idea of going fast on track and splash out serious amounts of cash on a track bike for them to then finally get on track, shit themselves and never go back on again. I does happen. Not saying you will but you never know until you get on.

One thing though... Whatever you end up doing, make sure you have a decent set of tyres. Tyres make a HUGE difference to how the bike will feel on track Thumbs Up

Good luck and have fun!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomoregt4 wrote:


What helpful advice this is you've just given me Ben. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge & expertise with me.

Did I say I can't handle it? No. Did I mention anything about a track day being the same as riding fast on the road? Again, no.
Anyone else think my original post/comments are 'whinny?'

I've merely asked for any helpful advice from friendly members on here for my first track day & not to be told to fuck off if you can't handle taking the risks,. Thanks Ben, you're just the guy I want to be taking advice from, cheers Middle Finger

I'm not in the advantageous position of owning a modern day track bike & a modern road bike, so I was purely asking for any advice on which older 400cc bike to get, so if the worst came to the worst, I wouldn't mind if it slid down the track.

If you've got nothing helpful to say, shut it.


Your initial post was fine, but then you started moaning about how you would expect someone to pay for you if they crashed into you.

I understand your a novice and all of this, perhaps you should do novice only days or something.

But theres people like you that go around in the fast group, on their nice shiny road bikes thinking they're rossi. They hold everyone up and then moan when you pass too close.

Tracks are dangerous, per mile covered, tracks are way more dangerous than roads, you get loads of people crashing everyday, the majority of them are fine, but you still get a few that die every year, and its not uncommon for people to end up with broken bones and life changing injuries. Granted people associate that more with racing than a track day but the risk is still pretty high on a track day.

Bah, perhaps i'm taking it a bit too seriously and should stick with acu licence days, where people are like minded, and i actually trust their skill level.

long rambiling post but my point is: your going into a dangerous environment, dont moan if you crash or someone crashes into you.
____________________
follow my racing season
Race bike - R6
Road bike - sv650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore Ben, he's an angry little boy.

Just another vote for taking your own roadbike (what is it btw?). I've not yet done a trackday I haven't ridden to and from. If anything, the fact that you know you have to ride home makes you take it more safely than you might on a disposible track toy.

From my experience, the vast majority of the crashes happen in the fast group, stick to novices and you'll be fine - everyone takes it really easy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:


From my experience, the vast majority of the crashes happen in the fast group, stick to novices and you'll be fine - everyone takes it really easy.


I would disagree with you there, the fast boys tend to be alot more experienced and although they ride faster they are safer with it. Most of the crashes in my experience are in the inters where the pace is slightly faster than novice, but the people riding still have a "novice" level of skill.


Cheers,
Damon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for most crashes in inters
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, inters is where its at if you wanna bin it, you get idiots that should be in the fast group intimidating the folk too proud to admit they should be in the novice group and its normally the true inters paced rider that bins it avoiding the other 2.

I guess per mile then tracks have a far higher risk of a spill but I feel so much safer coming off on track than I do binning on the road.

And you wont bin it unless you ride like a dick or are in the wrong group for your experience/ability!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nomoregt4
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys. I wouldn't dream of entering any class but the novice group. I know my limitations & know I'm totally inexperienced at track days. I'm wanting to start at the bottom, build my confidence up gradually & most importantly, I want to enjoy myself Cool

D O G: I have a cbr 600RR.

Rich
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete247
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I'd be promoting a chrono trackday until I did one the other month but if you did one of them then it stops other riders potentially spoiling your day as it splits the riders by their actual lap times into the correct grouping.

If I were you I'd use my own road bike on my first trackday with new tyres that were suitable for all weather conditions like 2CT's etc, take it steady and build your confidence.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 27 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR 600 RR is made for the track - just use it. You'll be much more familiar with it too which is a bonus.

I've not done loads of days - only four, 1st one in novice, rest in inters. Never saw a crash in either group I was in. Only came near to crashing once myself, and on reflection I was pretty far away from actually binning it.

Book a day, go, treat it as a learning experience. You will be absolutely fine. Hopefully. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.19 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 121.28 Kb