Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


DR350 running lean problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 04 Jul 2011    Post subject: DR350 running lean problems Reply with quote

Hi all,
I bought a DR350 and rebuilt it as it was cosmetically not great. Now that its finished i'm having trouble with it running lean.

It misfires over about 75% throttle and doesn't like high revs. The airbox has had its snorkle cut out, which according to everything I read on the net suggests it needs a 140 main jet. It currently has a 142.5 main jet and 40 pilot. I have checked that the carb is clean.
It has the mikuni pumper carb.

It runs hot, so hot that last time I went out on it, it melted its side panel, and burnt out the stator. The exiting exhaust gas it also really hot even at idle, it will burn your hand. It pops on decel a lot.

I'm quite confused because it is jetted richer than any other DR350 I have read about on forums, it even has the stock exhaust.

I taped off part of the airbox inlet as a test and it runs much better at the top end, no stumbling, but seems a bit rich down low like this. I have also lowered the carb fuel height as it was quite high (I know this only makes it leaner, but I thought its best to have things as they are supposed to be).

Lowering the float height has introduced a new problem whereby the idle is so low that it often stalls when coming to a halt, BUT it also hangs at about 4000rpm or so, I either get this, or it stalls. I cant win.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated as I'm not sure what to do next, I could up jet but people don't seem to even need 150 mains with a free flowing exhaust let alone the stock one. Also the guy that had it before me ran it like this for 7 years, so I doubt it had this issue for him.

Jason
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop the spark plug out and see what colour it is..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorting the fuelling should be from the top. First main jet for high to WOT, then needle for midrange finally mixture screw for idling to low. Only problem is you're using the accepted parameters for what you've got with possibly the exception of the needle and everything seems to be way out. I honestly think it would be well worth the money for a dyno run to find out what exactly is happening mixture wise before you do some expensive damage to the motor.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have attached a pic of the plug after I did a chop after holding high revs and throttle for about a minute, just around where it does its thing of pretending to be out of fuel.

I'm not one to be identifying plug colours but to me it doesn't look too bad, though i'm unsure of why it has black speckles on it?

The pic is from a phone and the colours are a bit off, it actually looks more grey and less like a brown colour in real life.

https://i54.tinypic.com/i4fxc8.jpg
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty lean compared to mine!
Are the jets genuine mikuni ones ? I was told sometimes the cheaper ones were'nt too accurate...

I have a 147.5 main jet(cheap make) and standard pilot and it's still a tiny bit lean...

Carb is easy to remove and jets are only a couple of quid so just try bigger and see how it goes...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i think i will try some bigger jets, the reason i'm asking is I didn't want to work around the cause rather than find it if you know what I mean, there are loads of threads on thumpertalk about fitting 140s.

I might try a new plug and see if I can find a spare coil as the resistances on that aren't anywhere near spec.
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through the tech pages over at Maximum suzuki
They have covered most issues with these bikes and were helpful when i was asking about jetting...

Coil on ebay for about £10 Clicky

Parts are cheap as fuck for these bike Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 05 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the tips. Do you ride on road only given that you have supermoto wheels? Just noticed that you are local is all.

J
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

proximity wrote:
Cool, thanks for the tips. Do you ride on road only given that you have supermoto wheels? Just noticed that you are local is all.

J


Nope i do off road aswell (have the original dirt wheels)
Have the odd play in slaley forest and a few lanes around hexam area

Any decent places round your area ?

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are plenty with the likes of hamsterly forest etc, I just haven't found them Neutral
I thought about joining the TRF to get to know some decent lanes, just haven't got round to it yet.
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 06 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

proximity wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty with the likes of hamsterly forest etc, I just haven't found them Neutral
I thought about joining the TRF to get to know some decent lanes, just haven't got round to it yet.


I don't think the TRF would let me join them due to my stupidly loud exhaust Laughing
Slaley forest is quite good for a play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBr3eOK2myM

And i know some brilliant lanes round hexam with some really deep fords Cool
A lot of the lanes i use are not 100% legal but i've never had any problems so far... The TRF is probably the way to go if you like to stay 100% legal.

Slaley forest is legal though. Let me know if you want to give it a go sometime...

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of progress with this today, after fiddling with the needle over and over again without success I decided to drill out a main jet.

Well I took a jet out of some mikuni carbs I had lying around, they were 110 main jets, but then to my surprise after taking out the DR jet, the 110's are much bigger than the 142.5 that is in the DR, so i'm thinking maybe you were right Scrap and the jet I have is chinese crap. The 'fake' jet I have is marked RD.

Well now I just need to sort out either the correct drill, or a real 140 size jet. I went for a ride with the 110 in and it rode pretty good actually.

The other bit of confusion I have is that my needle only has 2 clip positions, everything I read suggests it should have 5. Is it possible I also have a fake needle? The thing is though it has the mikuni symbol and correct code on it...
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed in mikuni fake into google and it comes up with quite a few threads about fake carbs being sold, have you checked to make sure your carb is a genuine one? Or maybe fake parts have been mixed into a genuine carb by a previous owner?
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 09 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain the carb itself is genuine. I've got a few mikuni carbs and its too good to be a fake.

The previous owner has done the 'airbox mod' to the bike and then I imagine tried to up jet to suit. Thing is the needle doesnt need changing for this mod, so i'm wondering if maybe some of the early models just came with a 2 notch needle. I have only ever seen 5 notch or fixed position needles from mikuni though.

I might be able to measure the needle to see if it is the correct shape, there is a document about needle sizes but I couldnt figure out from it what measurements to do.
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 10 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this little chart, I think my jet marked RD could be one of those Precision engineering jets.

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Dynojet_-_Mikuni_-_Keihin_jet_sizes_conversion

Unfortunately the chart doesn't go big enough to find out the drill sizes I need to make it right

Edit: that can't be true as it would mean the jet is 1.425mm, which it isn't, its more like 0.95mm
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 10 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to a local dealers and buy (even in the cheap make) a few different jet sizes.
142.5, 145, 147.5 should do ya

I have no idea about the needle but you said yourself, you put in another jet and it ran better...
Carb jet's are literally about £1 each so it's no real expense Laughing

edit: Actually i still have a few sizes here. I think i have 137.5 standard, a 140, 142.5 and i think a 147.5.(maybe 145 not sure which i used now.
You can have them if you come and get them, but it'll probably cost you less to go to a dealers (petrol to get here)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

proximity
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well i'm about at breaking point with this now, it's one thing after another.

I ordered a new 5 position needle and range of jets to suit. Fitted them, went for a ride. Piece of shit.

Seems to be down on power quite a bit, no lean bog at the top end but instead a sort of stutter like it is misfiring every second or so.

That's not the biggy because I can rectify that by playing with the jets some more, what is the main problem is the bike will not run below what I am guessing is about 1500 - 2000rpm (I have no tacho).

It will idle, but any amount of throttle about about 10% will cause it to stall, it makes it almost impossible to ride, it stalls in a way that if I let off the throttle when it is stalling it will pick back up again.
If I am riding up a hill for example, as the revs slowly drop, 2000rpm its pullling fine, revs drop slightly and then BAM hit a brick wall like I have hit the kill switch, let off the throttle and it comes back.
Same with going down a hill, open the throttle, nothing, bike is coasting like the key is off, rolling down the hill picking up speed, I hit 2000rpm and shazam shes away again.

It confuses me that it is RPM related. I suspected ignition because it just seems like it gets no spark under load at low RPM, but I have checked the spark as I suspected this, but by adding a second gap to the lead to see a spark, I could see that the plug is still firing when it does this 'issue'. I rewound the stator while waiting for the jets to come, but didn't touch the hall sensor or CDI coil.

Lifting the needle didn't help. I seriously don't know what to do with it.

I would really really appreciate some help. I like the bike a lot, but I have had it in bits so many times it's at the point where I just want to sell it and move on. No I lied, I want to burn it.

Jason
____________________
2004 Aprilia Tuono
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 3.99 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.57 Kb