|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Biker Alex |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Biker Alex Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 18 Jun 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:43 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: Pressure on my hands, any solutions? |
 |
|
I'm comfortable on my new sports bike except that I dont have much meat on me so there is hardly any tissue/padding in my hands.
My hands really start to hurt after a while, imagine supporting your weight with your bare elbows on a concrete floor, that is how it feels
If I get a pair of 'padded' gloves online i dont know if the palm will be padded, had a look around some shops and there doesnt seem to be palm padding on any of the gloves
Can any one give me a solution? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Biker Alex |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Biker Alex Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 18 Jun 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:05 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did try supporting the weight with my feet. Maybe my body is being lazy today as i have a major hang over and only got a few hours sleep
I am about 5'9 and it is quite a big bike so i have to lean forward onto my hands.
If it does not improve would anybody recommend a certain pair of gloves or handlebar grips?
at the minute if i try and grip the tank with my knees they just slip, denim and shiny fuel tank. But im thinking of investing in leather trousers. I would assume they would help me grip the tank more?[/b]
Last edited by Biker Alex on 20:34 - 18 Jul 2011; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:14 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ideally you shouldn't have any 'weight' on the bars.
This is your primary method for controlling the bike, so you want any force through them to be just what is needed for control of the bike.
Any interesting example of this is to ride with your arms locked straight, putting a bit of force leaning through the bars.
With a bit of space to make sure it's safe, waggle the bars side to side.
Now have your forearms parallel to the road and just use your back to support the weight of the bike.
Repeat the test, putting the same force through the bars.
You should note a marked difference in how much the bike moves for the same effort.
So... get on the situps?
Oh and making sure your grip is relaxed, as above, is also a good one. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| unitynotsocri... |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 unitynotsocri... Banned

Joined: 29 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:55 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
as well as the right gloves you could try neoprane grip covers.They do go sticky and cacky after a while but provide insulation from vibes and a firmer/extra bit of padding.Can you adjust the bars abit to move your weight back? ____________________ nearly a normal tax paying tosser.......with ferrileness suzi100,cg125,cb125scb100n,cb175,cd100,cj250t,kh250,c15,125 bantam,super 6,rickman gs750,xt500,250rs,dt175,lifan125,dolomite1850,metro,Morris220ld,morrisfg,leyland princess,range rover,corsa,vw camper .now struggling with legs. MORE ORDER = MORE CHAOS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ace-card |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ace-card Nova Slayer

Joined: 22 May 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:14 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Been having the same issue with my TCat on my left wrist......mate suggested gripping the tank with the knees, as Joe has mentioned. I found that if I sit slightly more upright on the bike, it gives me a slight concave curve in my back that feels slightly more comfortable and pulls some of the pressure off the wrists as my weight is shifted back. Also, I'm still a bit tense riding it as it's new, so maybe the same for you?? If this is the case, I'm guessing over time, this will pass for both of us as we get used to the bike  ____________________ 2007 Skyjet SJ-125, 2001 Aprillia RS125, 1988 Honda CG125, 1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Mama said "life is like a box o' chocolates....have what's nice, then offload the crap to everyone else!"  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BigGeeking |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BigGeeking Scooby Slapper

Joined: 07 Jun 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:37 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
have a look at weight lifting gloves the fingerless ones or the peddle bike ones i used some for my mountain bike have like a gel pad in them how long have you been riding  ____________________ Bendy "Flip front. I can filter down the M4 while shoving a Twix in my face."
honda CG 125 2001 SOLD-- current Bandit 400--SOLD. current SV650s 2000
MOD 1 ON 20/7/2011**passed** MOD 2 ON 17/10/2011***passed***,, |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| waffles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 waffles World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Oct 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Biker Alex |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Biker Alex Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 18 Jun 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:35 - 17 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | ride with your arms locked straight, putting a bit of force leaning through the bars.
With a bit of space to make sure it's safe, waggle the bars side to side.
Now have your forearms parallel to the road and just use your back to support the weight of the bike.
Repeat the test, putting the same force through the bars.
You should note a marked difference in how much the bike moves for the same effort.
. |
If I put my arms straight, putting my weight on the bars: Doesn't even move!.. so yes a lot more control when I master not putting my weight on the bars
I went out tonight whilst there was no traffic and what completely solved the problem was the fact that I bent my elbows. As long as I did that I couldn't put weight on the bars even if I wanted to. After A few minutes I felt the tension on my abs, a few minutes later they warmed up and I was riding pretty comfortably
I think I would still have a problem with weight distribution if it wasn't for the countless amount of tips I got in this thread, so thanks guys
It not easy to keep the weight off the bars when your in a traffic jam for most of the journey. If I want to go anywhere I have to drive through weymouth
https://i54.tinypic.com/2ywac9l.jpg
| divetime wrote: | how long have you been riding  |
Come september, 2 years on 125s, I got my 250 Saturday.
| ace-card wrote: | I'm still a bit tense riding it as it's new, so maybe the same for you?? If this is the case, I'm guessing over time, this will pass for both of us as we get used to the bike  |
Defiantly, when I got it on Saturday it was pissing down with rain I wouldn't go more than 40 mph, I was so uncomfortable, not used to the position and the completely different engine.
I've had about 4 hours on it now, feel quite confident. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ace-card |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ace-card Nova Slayer

Joined: 22 May 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:10 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't have much meat on my hands
I have one arm shorter than another
I have hereditary multiple exostoces which causes bony lumps over my joints
I have an FZR400 that has very very low bars.
I do not get hand or wrist pain on my FZR, despite having a recurring tendon injury to my left wrist and not having the 'ulna' connected from my wrist to my hand with only the 'radius' to support me.
In other words, MTFU. ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:30 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh here we go again, Epic BCF advice, Man up.
How about give him some actual fucking advice?
I understand what you mean, the pressure on your hands can be really uncomfortable and the only solution is you.
Your leaning on your hands far too much to support your body weight meaning your not using your legs and torso to sit in position. Like suggested, use you legs to push on the pegs and grip the tank, use your abs and back muscles to support your upper body then your hands to further support.
If this isn't the answer then you will have to look into buying some gloves with padding, weither they exist or not I don't know.
Don't listen to the Man up brigade, seriously, bad advice is worse than no advice at all, but I will mention I've given bad advice in the past so don't bother flaming. The advice I have given was given to me by a riding instructor who I know who rides a lot of sports bikes, VTR riders often complain about numb or pain in the hands/wrist, it's just bad posture in my opinion, fix that and you will relieve the pain.
Also if it's a new bike it will take a few rides to adjust to the bike and pain can be expected due to wrong riding positions or use of muscles that other bikes didn't require. ____________________ Haz ER-5, innit! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ace-card |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ace-card Nova Slayer

Joined: 22 May 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:30 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Or he could just MTFU  ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ace-card |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ace-card Nova Slayer

Joined: 22 May 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:35 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Maybe his wrists aren't as strong as yours coz he doesn't spend all his spare time cracking one off  ____________________ 2007 Skyjet SJ-125, 2001 Aprillia RS125, 1988 Honda CG125, 1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Mama said "life is like a box o' chocolates....have what's nice, then offload the crap to everyone else!"  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:38 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:42 - 18 Jul 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|