Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Pressure on my hands, any solutions?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Biker Alex
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Pressure on my hands, any solutions? Reply with quote

I'm comfortable on my new sports bike except that I dont have much meat on me so there is hardly any tissue/padding in my hands.
My hands really start to hurt after a while, imagine supporting your weight with your bare elbows on a concrete floor, that is how it feels Sad

If I get a pair of 'padded' gloves online i dont know if the palm will be padded, had a look around some shops and there doesnt seem to be palm padding on any of the gloves

Can any one give me a solution?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support yourself by gripping the tank with your knees and take some weight off your wrists and hands.

Oh, I nearly forgot, man up and you'll get used to it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assume the racing crouch..let your elbows be loose and hold the bars without squeezing them.

If it's a modern sportsbike i suspect pain is par the course.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker Alex
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try supporting the weight with my feet. Maybe my body is being lazy today as i have a major hang over and only got a few hours sleep Laughing

I am about 5'9 and it is quite a big bike so i have to lean forward onto my hands.

If it does not improve would anybody recommend a certain pair of gloves or handlebar grips?

at the minute if i try and grip the tank with my knees they just slip, denim and shiny fuel tank. But im thinking of investing in leather trousers. I would assume they would help me grip the tank more?[/b]


Last edited by Biker Alex on 20:34 - 18 Jul 2011; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROV Sparky wrote:
If it does not improve would anybody recommend a certain pair of gloves or handlebar grips?


Yea, gloves made by MTFU work well Rolling Eyes

Seriously, It's the same when I went to my Daytona 600, hands were well sore for ages. Just have less of a firm grip on the bars.

You can buy little grip pads for the side of the tank, must say i've never had an issue with jeans/textiles or leathers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you shouldn't have any 'weight' on the bars.
This is your primary method for controlling the bike, so you want any force through them to be just what is needed for control of the bike.

Any interesting example of this is to ride with your arms locked straight, putting a bit of force leaning through the bars.
With a bit of space to make sure it's safe, waggle the bars side to side.
Now have your forearms parallel to the road and just use your back to support the weight of the bike.
Repeat the test, putting the same force through the bars.

You should note a marked difference in how much the bike moves for the same effort.

So... get on the situps? Wink

Oh and making sure your grip is relaxed, as above, is also a good one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to alter your riding position so you are fitting further back on the seat, with your thighes paralell to the ground, and your forearms inline with the bike and parallel to the ground. This isn't a natural position, but it will become natural the more you do it.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ace-card
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having the same issue with my TCat on my left wrist......mate suggested gripping the tank with the knees, as Joe has mentioned. I found that if I sit slightly more upright on the bike, it gives me a slight concave curve in my back that feels slightly more comfortable and pulls some of the pressure off the wrists as my weight is shifted back. Also, I'm still a bit tense riding it as it's new, so maybe the same for you?? If this is the case, I'm guessing over time, this will pass for both of us as we get used to the bike Wink
____________________
2007 Skyjet SJ-125, 2001 Aprillia RS125, 1988 Honda CG125, 1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Mama said "life is like a box o' chocolates....have what's nice, then offload the crap to everyone else!" Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BigGeeking
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at weight lifting gloves the fingerless ones or the peddle bike ones i used some for my mountain bike have like a gel pad in them how long have you been riding Question
____________________
Bendy "Flip front. I can filter down the M4 while shoving a Twix in my face."
honda CG 125 2001 SOLD-- current Bandit 400--SOLD. current SV650s 2000
MOD 1 ON 20/7/2011**passed** MOD 2 ON 17/10/2011***passed***,,
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem with my gixer, every ride gets easier so practice gripping with your knees. Someone on here said that you need to keep your forearms parallel with the tank and your hands and wrists fairly loose. You are putting too much pressure on your arms if they are aching. I found that wearing one piece leathers helps too as they kind of force you into the right position anyway.

Or just ride faster!
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker Alex
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 17 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
ride with your arms locked straight, putting a bit of force leaning through the bars.
With a bit of space to make sure it's safe, waggle the bars side to side.
Now have your forearms parallel to the road and just use your back to support the weight of the bike.
Repeat the test, putting the same force through the bars.

You should note a marked difference in how much the bike moves for the same effort.
.

If I put my arms straight, putting my weight on the bars: Doesn't even move!.. so yes a lot more control when I master not putting my weight on the bars Smile

I went out tonight whilst there was no traffic and what completely solved the problem was the fact that I bent my elbows. As long as I did that I couldn't put weight on the bars even if I wanted to. After A few minutes I felt the tension on my abs, a few minutes later they warmed up and I was riding pretty comfortably Very Happy

I think I would still have a problem with weight distribution if it wasn't for the countless amount of tips I got in this thread, so thanks guys Thumbs Up Karma

It not easy to keep the weight off the bars when your in a traffic jam for most of the journey. If I want to go anywhere I have to drive through weymouth Thumbs Down

https://i54.tinypic.com/2ywac9l.jpg

divetime wrote:
how long have you been riding Question

Come september, 2 years on 125s, I got my 250 Saturday.

ace-card wrote:
I'm still a bit tense riding it as it's new, so maybe the same for you?? If this is the case, I'm guessing over time, this will pass for both of us as we get used to the bike Wink

Defiantly, when I got it on Saturday it was pissing down with rain I wouldn't go more than 40 mph, I was so uncomfortable, not used to the position and the completely different engine.
I've had about 4 hours on it now, feel quite confident.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I'm not this much of a fanny.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ace-card
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:31 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I'm so glad I'm not this much of a fanny.


Got any more pearls of wisdom to add here mate???
____________________
2007 Skyjet SJ-125, 2001 Aprillia RS125, 1988 Honda CG125, 1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Mama said "life is like a box o' chocolates....have what's nice, then offload the crap to everyone else!" Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace-card wrote:
chris-red wrote:
I'm so glad I'm not this much of a fanny.


Got any more pearls of wisdom to add here mate???


Support yourself with you back you shouldn't be putting pressure on the bars.

MTFU

A 250 isn't a sports bike unless it revs to 18k+ or is a 2t.

MTFU

On a bike there is no such thing as a traffic jam.


Thumbs Up
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow I don't have much meat on my hands

Arrow I have one arm shorter than another

Arrow I have hereditary multiple exostoces which causes bony lumps over my joints

Arrow I have an FZR400 that has very very low bars.


I do not get hand or wrist pain on my FZR, despite having a recurring tendon injury to my left wrist and not having the 'ulna' connected from my wrist to my hand with only the 'radius' to support me.

In other words, MTFU.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh here we go again, Epic BCF advice, Man up. Rolling Eyes
How about give him some actual fucking advice?

I understand what you mean, the pressure on your hands can be really uncomfortable and the only solution is you.

Your leaning on your hands far too much to support your body weight meaning your not using your legs and torso to sit in position. Like suggested, use you legs to push on the pegs and grip the tank, use your abs and back muscles to support your upper body then your hands to further support.

If this isn't the answer then you will have to look into buying some gloves with padding, weither they exist or not I don't know.

Don't listen to the Man up brigade, seriously, bad advice is worse than no advice at all, but I will mention I've given bad advice in the past so don't bother flaming. The advice I have given was given to me by a riding instructor who I know who rides a lot of sports bikes, VTR riders often complain about numb or pain in the hands/wrist, it's just bad posture in my opinion, fix that and you will relieve the pain.

Also if it's a new bike it will take a few rides to adjust to the bike and pain can be expected due to wrong riding positions or use of muscles that other bikes didn't require.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUG wrote:
How about give him some actual fucking advice?


He's riding a bike with one of the most upright riding positions around for a 'sports bike'. So he needs to learn to grip with his legs, AND MTFU.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
TUG wrote:
How about give him some actual fucking advice?


He's riding a bike with one of the most upright riding positions around for a 'sports bike'. So he needs to learn to grip with his legs, AND MTFU.

You need to STFU too, i'll perscribe you 2 of them, if you call me in the morning, they haven't worked. Thumbs Up Laughing
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ace-card
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

He's riding a bike with one of the most upright riding positions around for a 'sports bike'. So he needs to learn to grip with his legs, AND MTFU.


You'd make a cracking instructor Rolling Eyes It seems that a very small minority of the biking community seem to forget that they were inexperienced at one point in their lives! You can't say in one breath "he needs to learn...." and in the next "MTFU".....doesn't make sense I'm afraid. By telling him to "man up", your basically suggesting he carry on riding in the wrong position, deal with the pain like a man and worry about arthritis later. No. Like you said, he needs to learn correct positioning.......learning is not a case of being "man" or "p*ssy"......it's about not knowing and therefore being told the right way. He has asked for help because he recognises the need for improvement, not to have the piss ripped.
____________________
2007 Skyjet SJ-125, 2001 Aprillia RS125, 1988 Honda CG125, 1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Mama said "life is like a box o' chocolates....have what's nice, then offload the crap to everyone else!" Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he could just MTFU Thumbs Up
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace-card wrote:

You'd make a cracking instructor Rolling Eyes It seems that a very small minority of the biking community seem to forget that they were inexperienced at one point in their lives! You can't say in one breath "he needs to learn...." and in the next "MTFU".....doesn't make sense I'm afraid. By telling him to "man up", your basically suggesting he carry on riding in the wrong position, deal with the pain like a man and worry about arthritis later. No. Like you said, he needs to learn correct positioning.......learning is not a case of being "man" or "p*ssy"......it's about not knowing and therefore being told the right way. He has asked for help because he recognises the need for improvement, not to have the piss ripped.


I learned it myself, no one taught me. Why should anyone else be different? Wink

Seriously though the correct advice has been given in this thread, part of which is to man up. As long as the guy can learn to grip and hold himself upright with his legs, then the situation will improve... however it will take practice and a build up of lower body strength to completely solve the problem so until then MTFU is a valid piece of advice I'm afraid.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ace-card
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe his wrists aren't as strong as yours coz he doesn't spend all his spare time cracking one off Thumbs Up Laughing
____________________
2007 Skyjet SJ-125, 2001 Aprillia RS125, 1988 Honda CG125, 1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Mama said "life is like a box o' chocolates....have what's nice, then offload the crap to everyone else!" Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
MTFU is a valid piece of advice I'm afraid.

Not really though is it?.. Laughing
C'mon Marjay be nice! Thumbs Up Wink
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace-card wrote:
Maybe his wrists aren't as strong as yours coz he doesn't spend all his spare time cracking one off Thumbs Up Laughing


Interesting you should say that because as I explained further up the thread, my left wrist is particularly weak. The Ulna bone in my left wrist is foreshortened which means it doesn't connect with the wrist joint. Not only this, I have a recurring tendon injury (possibly related) on the same wrist. My left forearm is around an inch shorter than the right. Despite only really having a functioning right arm, It isn't that strong, and I don't find myself having issues trying to hold myself up and turn the throttle. My right arm is just as afflicted by the Hereditary Multiple Exostoces as the left is.

My Buell has a very heavy clutch, and my FZR 400 has very low bars. And yet, I deal with it somehow. OMG I must be some sort of superman... Rolling Eyes

Again I reiterate: MTFU.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 140.84 Kb