|
|
| Author |
Message |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:02 - 28 Aug 2004 Post subject: Nervousness despite experience... |
 |
|
As I'm sure most of you know, the NSR and I have been together through 5000 miles over 8 months. We've been to a lot of places and we've had a lot of fun.
What comes as a surprise to me though, is recently when i'm getting ready to go out on the bike, I have once again started feeling slightly nervous. I don't know why this is, I'm always better once I get into my stride, but I'm just about to go out and I feel like I'm on my CBT again . I'm not racing or anything, it's just a simple run to a couple of dealers and back...
Maybe it's just cos of my crash or something, but I'm not sure .
Is it just me, or do any of you much more experienced riders still get pre ride nervousness? ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:06 - 28 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't get nervous unless I'm on a new 'to me' bike, so I guess I will be on thursday .
More recently I've been feeling bored, but thats just cos I'm on a crap bike . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| John |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 John World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Apr 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:06 - 28 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm not experienced, so this probably doesn't help.
I usually get nervous if my parents have been going on alot that I would crash that day, etc. My mum seems to have a habbit of winging at me not to 'go out on that thing' which makes me all scared.
 ____________________ TT600 neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwww! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rory |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rory Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:16 - 28 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you're had a recent crash, you will be a bit more nervous, but that'll pass with more time in the saddle. A bit of fear is healthly though, it stops you getting cavalier and taking unecessary risks, IMHO. ____________________ My Old CBR400RR | Bike Oil FAQ | Petrol FAQ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hustler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hustler Crazy Courier

Joined: 29 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keith |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keith World Chat Champion
Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:36 - 28 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'll be fairly nervous when i get back on my bike. After all, it will of been about 6 weeks without it when I do, and last time I was on it, I crashed and had a wonderful trip to hospital.
I suppose I have good reason to be nervous, but i'm also excited. Only time I will get nervous while riding is when on fast flowing dual carriageways. Mainly because i'm surrounded by potential death traps. ____________________ Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rory |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rory Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1stGarry |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1stGarry Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jammy-G |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Jammy-G Banned

Joined: 17 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:58 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Might be worth giving your bikes running gear a good check over, make sure the wheel alignment is correct, chain is tensioned, headstock bearings are tight, tyre pressure, wheel bearings etc.
For weeks I was getting on my old GPZ then riding like a fairy. Wasn't till I got the back tyre changed I found the cush drive bearing had collapsed and was making the whole thing slightly off kilter. It must have been very vague and gradual until it reached a point where the bikes handling was all to pot but I had been blaming myself for 'losing my nerve'. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rory |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rory Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:02 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Similar story on my CBR before getting the suspension sorted. It was pretty badly off, and once it was fixed I was cornering more confidently and carrying way more speed through corners. As suggested, NSR125-Kid-UK could get someone he trusts (or whoever) to take a good look over the bike, maybe setup the suspension if it needs it, and that'll give him a mental boost which should improve his riding. It's all in the head! ____________________ My Old CBR400RR | Bike Oil FAQ | Petrol FAQ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:18 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think the main issue with the old girl is reliability. She's overdue a rebuild, and because i'm worried about blowing it up, i run it in a higher gear than normal, because of this, the bike feels like it has less power, which feels like the bike's dying.
When i run it in the powerband, it feels like mechanical suicide, and I don't enjoy my riding anywhere near as much, because i'm too busy worrying about how long it'd be until I was found if I broke down.... ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rory |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rory Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:55 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hehe dont worry about breaking down. Its happend to me loads! I've got used to it now. Gives me time to reflect on whatever needs to be reflected upon.
Hopfully bike should be reliable now, now i've fixed a few things.
Breakdown cover is useful though, especially when you get it free with your insurance, like mine. . Even still its not "that" expensive and it would be handy whatever bike you are on/have/will have.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:53 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I still wish I actually knew what state the engine's actually in . ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| divuk83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 divuk83 World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Nov 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| r1bird |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 r1bird Derestricted Danger

Joined: 23 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:38 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think that in order to ride smoothly and safely you do need a certain amount of confidence. First you need to sort your bike out, then sort your head out and get on with it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr C World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Feb 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Pants! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Pants! I Karma
Joined: 29 May 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:49 - 01 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Same for me too. I agree that to some extent it keeps you alive.
The nervous anticipation of what lies ahead, it clears as soon as I pull the bike out of the garage and only reappears if I've been a twat.
Funny you should mention it though as I've often wondered if others get the same feeling. The day it stops for me is the day it's time to give it up. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| leg-end |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 leg-end Derestricted Danger
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:47 - 01 Sep 2004 Post subject: Re: Nervousness despite experience... |
 |
|
| NSR125-Kid-UK wrote: | As I'm sure most of you know, the NSR and I have been together through 5000 miles over 8 months. We've been to a lot of places and we've had a lot of fun.
What comes as a surprise to me though, is recently when i'm getting ready to go out on the bike, I have once again started feeling slightly nervous. I don't know why this is, I'm always better once I get into my stride, but I'm just about to go out and I feel like I'm on my CBT again  . I'm not racing or anything, it's just a simple run to a couple of dealers and back...
Maybe it's just cos of my crash or something, but I'm not sure  .
Is it just me, or do any of you much more experienced riders still get pre ride nervousness? |
I've been riding since 1977 and I sometimes get pre ride nerves. It's a good thing IMHO since it shows you're thinking about riding safely. I was knocked off my 'blade last August by a car pulling out of a side road, took me about 3 months to feel really comfortable again. The only solution is to ride more often and consider doing some more training.
As with anything; practice makes perfect and practice builds confidence.
My tips for a relaxed ride are:-
1. Don't ride when you're tired
2. Don't ride when you're unwell
3. Don't ride when you're angry, i.e. just had a bust up with someone
4. Don't ride when you're stressed or worried about something
5. Plan your journey and include a suitable number of rest breaks
I guess most of the above is obvious and can't always be avoided when you need to make a journey. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 22 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|