Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Nervousness despite experience...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Nervousness despite experience... Reply with quote

As I'm sure most of you know, the NSR and I have been together through 5000 miles over 8 months. We've been to a lot of places and we've had a lot of fun.

What comes as a surprise to me though, is recently when i'm getting ready to go out on the bike, I have once again started feeling slightly nervous. I don't know why this is, I'm always better once I get into my stride, but I'm just about to go out and I feel like I'm on my CBT again Confused . I'm not racing or anything, it's just a simple run to a couple of dealers and back...

Maybe it's just cos of my crash or something, but I'm not sure Sad.

Is it just me, or do any of you much more experienced riders still get pre ride nervousness?
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get nervous unless I'm on a new 'to me' bike, so I guess I will be on thursday Very Happy.

More recently I've been feeling bored, but thats just cos I'm on a crap bike Laughing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not experienced, so this probably doesn't help. Razz

I usually get nervous if my parents have been going on alot that I would crash that day, etc. My mum seems to have a habbit of winging at me not to 'go out on that thing' which makes me all scared. Embarassed

Very Happy
____________________
TT600 neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwww!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're had a recent crash, you will be a bit more nervous, but that'll pass with more time in the saddle. A bit of fear is healthly though, it stops you getting cavalier and taking unecessary risks, IMHO.
____________________
My Old CBR400RR | Bike Oil FAQ | Petrol FAQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hustler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rory wrote:
A bit of fear is healthly though, it stops you getting cavalier and taking unecessary risks, IMHO.


Thumbs Up
____________________
As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be fairly nervous when i get back on my bike. After all, it will of been about 6 weeks without it when I do, and last time I was on it, I crashed and had a wonderful trip to hospital. Laughing

I suppose I have good reason to be nervous, but i'm also excited. Only time I will get nervous while riding is when on fast flowing dual carriageways. Mainly because i'm surrounded by potential death traps.
____________________
Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 28 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
Mainly because i'm surrounded by potential death traps.


As opposed to riding one Very Happy
____________________
My Old CBR400RR | Bike Oil FAQ | Petrol FAQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

1stGarry
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 30 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for years and, yes, I still occasionally get pre-ride nerves.
Or at least I think its that.
Maybe it's just the adrenaline starting to pump in anticipation of the ride.
____________________
1stGarry
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 30 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get nervous before a ride, and I still run rides back in my head afterwards and look at the things that could have gone wrong. But, while I'm on the bike I'm preoccupied by the job in hand. I don't think this is a bad thing, and I would attribute the fact that I'm still alive to it. Over the years, the friends that I have buried through bike related incedents were the ones that 'just did it', and never gave it a second thought before or after. Be aware of your mortality, be nervous, and then go and do it anyway. Relax, focus, and you'll be fine.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth giving your bikes running gear a good check over, make sure the wheel alignment is correct, chain is tensioned, headstock bearings are tight, tyre pressure, wheel bearings etc.

For weeks I was getting on my old GPZ then riding like a fairy. Wasn't till I got the back tyre changed I found the cush drive bearing had collapsed and was making the whole thing slightly off kilter. It must have been very vague and gradual until it reached a point where the bikes handling was all to pot but I had been blaming myself for 'losing my nerve'.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar story on my CBR before getting the suspension sorted. It was pretty badly off, and once it was fixed I was cornering more confidently and carrying way more speed through corners. As suggested, NSR125-Kid-UK could get someone he trusts (or whoever) to take a good look over the bike, maybe setup the suspension if it needs it, and that'll give him a mental boost which should improve his riding. It's all in the head!
____________________
My Old CBR400RR | Bike Oil FAQ | Petrol FAQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:18 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main issue with the old girl is reliability. She's overdue a rebuild, and because i'm worried about blowing it up, i run it in a higher gear than normal, because of this, the bike feels like it has less power, which feels like the bike's dying.

When i run it in the powerband, it feels like mechanical suicide, and I don't enjoy my riding anywhere near as much, because i'm too busy worrying about how long it'd be until I was found if I broke down....
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've found the problem mate Thumbs Up
____________________
My Old CBR400RR | Bike Oil FAQ | Petrol FAQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe dont worry about breaking down. Its happend to me loads! I've got used to it now. Gives me time to reflect on whatever needs to be reflected upon. Wink

Hopfully bike should be reliable now, now i've fixed a few things. Smile

Breakdown cover is useful though, especially when you get it free with your insurance, like mine. Razz . Even still its not "that" expensive and it would be handy whatever bike you are on/have/will have. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:58 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earplugs are good for another 10mph of cruising speed on any bike Wink
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wish I actually knew what state the engine's actually in Laughing .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before, get it serviced. If its due for one then there's no point in running it into the ground. Get it sorted before any potential problems turn into disasters.

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

r1bird
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in order to ride smoothly and safely you do need a certain amount of confidence. First you need to sort your bike out, then sort your head out and get on with it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, every single time I pull my lid on I get nervous

track, strip or in the garage - I find sucking a mint helps
____________________
187.3bhp = 201mph
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Pants!
I Karma



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
honestly, every single time I pull my lid on I get nervous


Same here, the old ticker is racing when I am putting on all my gear and getting ready to go out. The moment I pull away it seems to go away as my focus is riding then.

Weirdly though, once I return, I feel nackered and very relaxed....

I am probably going out tomorrow night for a blast with a mate of mine and I can already feel the anticipation building. Sort excitement mixed with fear and adrenalin
____________________
Mr Pants! (Alex or Al)
Its better to burn out, than to fade away....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me too. I agree that to some extent it keeps you alive.

The nervous anticipation of what lies ahead, it clears as soon as I pull the bike out of the garage and only reappears if I've been a twat. Rolling Eyes

Funny you should mention it though as I've often wondered if others get the same feeling. The day it stops for me is the day it's time to give it up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

leg-end
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Nervousness despite experience... Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
As I'm sure most of you know, the NSR and I have been together through 5000 miles over 8 months. We've been to a lot of places and we've had a lot of fun.

What comes as a surprise to me though, is recently when i'm getting ready to go out on the bike, I have once again started feeling slightly nervous. I don't know why this is, I'm always better once I get into my stride, but I'm just about to go out and I feel like I'm on my CBT again Confused . I'm not racing or anything, it's just a simple run to a couple of dealers and back...

Maybe it's just cos of my crash or something, but I'm not sure Sad.

Is it just me, or do any of you much more experienced riders still get pre ride nervousness?


I've been riding since 1977 and I sometimes get pre ride nerves. It's a good thing IMHO since it shows you're thinking about riding safely. I was knocked off my 'blade last August by a car pulling out of a side road, took me about 3 months to feel really comfortable again. The only solution is to ride more often and consider doing some more training.

As with anything; practice makes perfect and practice builds confidence.

My tips for a relaxed ride are:-


1. Don't ride when you're tired
2. Don't ride when you're unwell
3. Don't ride when you're angry, i.e. just had a bust up with someone
4. Don't ride when you're stressed or worried about something
5. Plan your journey and include a suitable number of rest breaks

I guess most of the above is obvious and can't always be avoided when you need to make a journey.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.45 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 123.58 Kb