Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Failed Mod1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Themightyimp
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 Jul 2011    Post subject: Failed Mod1 Reply with quote

I had no faults until the avoidance,then managed to fail it by only getting 47kmh,hell I failed by 1kmh.
gutted to say the least.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 27 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. Get it rebooked, you won't fail next time.
____________________
Responsibility. It's a difficult reality for some. I'm running the 2014 Sheffield Half Marathon on behalf of Bluebell Wood Childrens Hospice. Please sponsor me, even if it's just a quid.
DonnyBrago: "I think you may be confusing rain and napalm..." Paulington: "It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it."
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 27 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks but you'll nail it next time.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

joshdudeha
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 27 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks man :/
What bike was it? Just pin it in 2nd gear without even looking what speed, you will make it - trust me Smile
____________________
Piaggio Zip 50 -> Yamaha YBR 125 -> Kawasaki GPZ500S '96 -> Suzuki GSF600N Bandit -> Honda CBR 600FW
Theory Test: 13/07/2011 Passed! | Mod 1: 27/07/2011 Passed! | Mod 2: 17/11/2011 Passed!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 28 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, really sorry to hear that. Sad

If at first we don't succeed, then try again! Keep your chin up and get it re-booked! Thumbs Up

Just give it a little more throttle and as mentioned above, don't look at your speedo. You'll be fine next time round Very Happy
____________________
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:04 - 29 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unluky dude Sad

Get straight to booking it again and nail it!

Never give up Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha MT-09

ಠ_ಠ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!! Failed on the avoidance by 1Km!! Rest was ok (2 minors)

That was my third attempt at the Mod1 - What a journey this is for
me!!

Started off doin DAS - but couldnt get the hang of figure 8's, so after failing and still not gettin the hang of em still, decided to go for restricted and for some reason couldnt get the hang of my U turns! - and also managed to knock a cone off doin the avoidance.

So having to wait nearly three weeks for a slot to re-sit, just failed on 1Km too slow on avoidence.

Have to wait a week now for another re-sit!! omg I so hope I get it then!!
____________________
Just follow the rainbow
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's tough arcoiris.

Keep at it - if the only thing you failed on the last time was the speed then you should cruise it next time. Just remember to be in 2nd gear (on 125) before you go into the bend and pin the throttle back as you're leaving the bend and keep it pinned until after the speed trap for the avoidance. Redlining the bike and making it scream for a short bit wont hurt it.

Good luck on your next and hopefully final attempt.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Munkynutz
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Themightyimp, Arcoiris, I'm with you. Failed my mod 1 for the 2nd time this morning.

The first time - foot down on fig 8.
This time I crashed through the cones rather than avoid them which was a killer as I'd the rest of the test with 2 minors.

Anyway this is a longer journey for some of us but think of the rewards at the end and we'll get there!

Best of luck and keep your chins up.
____________________
If I could I would but I couldn't so I didn't but I might.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rough monkeynutz.

Try viewing the previous Mod 1's as practice sessions (albeit slightly expensive ones depending on which 125/500). The more practice, the better you'll be once you're finally out there on your own and I know that some are thinking 'when will I need to slalom or even do a figure of 8 when I'm out on the road' but if you've seen the size of the freaking potholes in the roads and seen how people just step out in the road in front a speeding bike/car and the amount of traffic in the roads then you'll be grateful for being good at the slow speed control and swerve etc.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Munkynutz
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SweenyT, you're definitely right and it's a positive way to turn the feeling of disappointment around. I know that all that training and testing will defo come in handy (unfortunately in some instances).

Anyway, onwards and errr...forwards (minding the cones, lemmings, cars, buses, lorries and just about anything else that didn't see, care or worry about the CBF125 buzzing up the road towards them). Laughing
____________________
If I could I would but I couldn't so I didn't but I might.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweenyT wrote:
That's tough arcoiris.

Keep at it - if the only thing you failed on the last time was the speed then you should cruise it next time. Just remember to be in 2nd gear (on 125) before you go into the bend and pin the throttle back as you're leaving the bend and keep it pinned until after the speed trap for the avoidance. Redlining the bike and making it scream for a short bit wont hurt it.

Good luck on your next and hopefully final attempt.


Thnx Sweeny,

Yep thats what I did, but I think I must be taking the bend too slow! The second attaempt at the avoidance I told myself to ignore the swerve cone untill I had past the speed trap as I thought that subconciously this must have been slowing me down. Looking back I think its the speed at which im doin the bend that is holding me back!
I will make it scream sooner! Very Happy lol
I did ask if he would give me some leeway considering that it was raining very heavily during my test - but (of course) no joy! lol

Yes indeed hopefully my final attempt next week!
____________________
Just follow the rainbow
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 04 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munkynutz wrote:
Themightyimp, Arcoiris, I'm with you. Failed my mod 1 for the 2nd time this morning.

The first time - foot down on fig 8.
This time I crashed through the cones rather than avoid them which was a killer as I'd the rest of the test with 2 minors.

Anyway this is a longer journey for some of us but think of the rewards at the end and we'll get there!

Best of luck and keep your chins up.
+

Thank you Munkynutz,

It is indeed a long journey! lol and the rewards are makin me impatient! lol I bought my bike and she has been sitting all summer waiting on me and it seems im gonna just get the end of the summer with her! lol

When do u re-sit yours again?
____________________
Just follow the rainbow
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

arcoiris wrote:
............Yep thats what I did, but I think I must be taking the bend too slow! The second attaempt at the avoidance I told myself to ignore the swerve cone untill I had past the speed trap as I thought that subconciously this must have been slowing me down. Looking back I think its the speed at which im doin the bend that is holding me back!
I will make it scream sooner! Very Happy lol
I did ask if he would give me some leeway considering that it was raining very heavily during my test - but (of course) no joy! lol

Yes indeed hopefully my final attempt next week!


Definitely make it scream sooner Laughing I remember gunning it to the bend and then kept the throttle constant although I did slack off slightly both times as I went into the bend a little too quick and then as I was straightening up I hammered it. I managed a speed of 55kph on both swerve & emergency stop. My instructor had gotten us to practice going into the bends and coming out at speed at a very quiet roundabout on an industrial estate.....at 30mph honest guv Laughing

Let's just hope its not p*ssing down when next you guys take your tests.

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Munkynutz
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 04 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tempted fate by buying a big bike - though for all the good it's done I might as well have bought one Laughing

I'm rebooked again for next Thursday (work permitting). It's starting to feel like a weekly event!

So what is 'she' that's sitting there waiting for you?
____________________
If I could I would but I couldn't so I didn't but I might.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munkynutz wrote:
I've not tempted fate by buying a big bike - though for all the good it's done I might as well have bought one Laughing

I'm rebooked again for next Thursday (work permitting). It's starting to feel like a weekly event!

So what is 'she' that's sitting there waiting for you?


Well you will enjoy shoppin for one once your there Very Happy , it just frustrates me now! lol

Haha me too! Well good luck for Thurs and keep us informed! Very Happy

"She" is a Black naked SV650 Very Happy Very Happy

https://i52.tinypic.com/nywboo.jpg

I have just practiced a couple of times on her on and ind. est. (when I was going for the DAS) and fell off both times! Embarassed

So am itching to pass and take her out properly on the roads!
____________________
Just follow the rainbow


Last edited by arcoiris on 12:01 - 05 Aug 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Definitely make it scream sooner Laughing I remember gunning it to the bend and then kept the throttle constant although I did slack off slightly both times as I went into the bend a little too quick and then as I was straightening up I hammered it. I managed a speed of 55kph on both swerve & emergency stop. My instructor had gotten us to practice going into the bends and coming out at speed at a very quiet roundabout on an industrial estate.....at 30mph honest guv Laughing

Let's just hope its not p*ssing down when next you guys take your tests.

Good luck Thumbs Up[/quote]

Yes I will have to do this! I havent really had much practice on the test centre itself on the 125 tbh, so I will just have to go for it when I do it again!

And yeah lets hope the rain stays away!! Very Happy thnx
____________________
Just follow the rainbow
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gg
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed it a few times myself on various different parts Sad

Things I'm finding difficult at the moment are u-turns and swerves. It's easy to find a space to practise u-turns but unless all the measurements and cones are there on a large empty space, it's quite dangerous to practise the swerve and cost a lot to keep re-doing training with instructor!!

What's the consensus on swerves? Is it correct to shut throttle off after speed trap and swerve then brake, or swerve then slow down and brake? Read somewhere that swerving whilst braking makes it more difficult.

Btw are you going to keep taking the test until you pass? Good luck for next week.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

igig wrote:
Failed it a few times myself on various different parts Sad

Things I'm finding difficult at the moment are u-turns and swerves. It's easy to find a space to practise u-turns but unless all the measurements and cones are there on a large empty space, it's quite dangerous to practise the swerve and cost a lot to keep re-doing training with instructor!!

What's the consensus on swerves? Is it correct to shut throttle off after speed trap and swerve then brake, or swerve then slow down and brake? Read somewhere that swerving whilst braking makes it more difficult.

Btw are you going to keep taking the test until you pass? Good luck for next week.


If you can do a U-turn on the road then youve sussed it As the test is slightly wider than this! Very Happy So keep practicing this.

Swerves - shut throttle off after speed trap, do swerve then controlled stop in blue cone, well thats the way I do em!

Yep I will keep pluggin away till I get it!! My aim in June was to have this for the summer, now my aim is to just get the tail end of it haha
____________________
Just follow the rainbow
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 05 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tough igig, I hope you'll keep trying.

With the u-turns, I practised in quiet section of a car park. I used 2 of the bays as a guide (I think the width is around 2 1/2 bays but don't quote me on that) and at one point got it down to 1 1/2 bays which I knew would be more than sufficient. Remember don't look at the ground look at where you want to go. I'm not if this will confuse you but if you're using the bays as a marker, as you enter the left edge of the first bay you look to the exit end (past the end of the outer line) of the second bay Confused

As for the swerve, you shut off the throttle after you've fully cleared the speed trap, then you swerve and (this is where it gets hazy) let the speed you were going carry you through the rest of the cones to the box and light brake as necessary after the cones - the aim is to come to a rolling stop in the box. Shhh! I practised the swerve on open clear roads and 'swerved' round pot holes, drain covers and the like, I also did the slalom using the centre line....... Whistle
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 08 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed mod 1 first time doing only 44kph in the swerve avoidance. Second test apparently I locked the back wheel in the emergency stop, even though no one could see how he came to that conclusion. Third test I clipped the cone with my toe on the avoidance. It sucks but I am determined to keep trying. No minors just all out fails. I do believe though my handling of the bike is getting better and I think I have to move from conscious to unconscious riding. Wonder what the record is for the most attempts?
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 09 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

trikeschick wrote:
.......................Wonder what the record is for the most attempts?


Too many and you might want to re-consider if you get past 10 Shocked Laughing

Seriously I'm sure you'll get it as you seem to be failing on different things each time, just keep trying and practising.

Are you using a 500/600 or a 125?
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 09 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a GS 500. Not my favourite but learning to be at one with it. Just did some practice today so am ready for the next one. Just got to hold it together Confused
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Munkynutz
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 09 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well trikeschick, SweenyT, the mightyimp and arcoiris I have joined the exclusive ranks of those who have failed the mod 1 THREE times. Yep done it again this morning. Messed up the u turn.

That means I've failed on the fig of 8, clipping a cone on the swerve test and now the u turn. Combined minors in all three tests? 3.

I'm starting to get used to my instructor's jaw dropping as I feck up another element that I had absolutely no problems on during practice.

Next weeks fail is booked for Wednesday. My school don't believe I need any more training so next week I make my own way to the test centre, jump on another candidate's bike and do it.

Arcoiris - good luck Thursday and anyone else on this now (personally speaking) long and hard journey.

Anyway, hysteria beckons.....
____________________
If I could I would but I couldn't so I didn't but I might.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 09 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going for test number 4 tomorrow. Had fun in practice today so am quite philosophical about it all. My riding is getting better and more confident so all is not lost. Tomorrow heavy rain is forecast so I will need to be extra focused. Deep breath, take my time and oh Bachs Rescue Remedy to steady my nerves!
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.96 Kb