Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Look who's behind you

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Look who's behind you Reply with quote

Help me...because I have a serious problem with this.

Here's the issue...

I rode to Keith's house on Sunday (about 35 miles or so from where I live), which was quite a long journey by my standards and where I'm up to in my learning.

The problem I had was looking over my shoulder to see what's behind me...I couldn't see past adjacent to me (i.e. what's by my side) unless I physically moved my upper body round to get a better look. However, on a wobbly NSR this just isn't safe. My not being able to see my blindspot resulted in me almost being killed a number of times.

I'm also scared of taking my eyes off what's in front of me, and my mirrors are crap (will get some new ones so that's that problem solved).

Any advice before I give up biking altogether?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am a tad confused, do you mean your neck is not physically allowing you to look right round or what? Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
Sorry, I am a tad confused, do you mean your neck is not physically allowing you to look right round or what? Smile


Well, I guess so yeah. My head won't turn round any further!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will become easier. As you learn to control your bike better you will be able to look over your shoulder by moving your body round.

Why don't you take the bike onto an industrial estate at the weekend or some quiet road and practice it while there is no traffic about. It will soon come.

The other trick is to pretend that you have no mirrors. This concentrates the mind wonderfully when it comes to looking behind you. I rode for a month without mirrors when I was learning so that I would have to use my lifesavers.

Thumbs Up
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, try not to look intensely. Normally, a good glance will be enough to sense whether there is something there. Try to use your eyes, without moving my head I can see what is alongside me.

Definately go for some better mirrors Thumbs Up That will improve your confidence for sure.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

its because you on a crappy sports bike Razz lol and leaning forwards i could never see behind me on the cbr, trick is to get a 600 then you don't need to see behind you just whats zooming towards you rapidly in front Wink

Better wing mirrors will help no end, i dont have any on my trials bikes but then i just just turn around nerrr Laughing
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on a sportsbike you may find that your head movement is resticted by the chinbar on your lid touching your shoulder. If this is the case try pulling your body more upright when you need to check your blind spot, the more upright you are the further you will be able to turn your head.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see into the blind spot just look alongside you, mirrors should cover the rest.

If, for whatever reason, they don't, try ducking down and looking behind, it allows you to see much further back.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pretty much the same problem on my NSR. All I can see in the mirrors is my armoured elbows (which look funky ass, but thats not the point...).

And I can't really turn my head far enough to check my blind spots, only right next to me. Neither of these were a problem on my KMX. Rolling Eyes

I can either move my whole body to one side slightly so I can turn to look properly, or the other alternative is to bend down and look under your armpit, but both techniques need a bit of practice to avoid wandering all over the road...
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be down to the helmet/gear combination you have. It's recommended that you sit on a bike similar to what you have when buying kit. I know that's not always possible though.

You do get used to turning your body more to look around as you gain more confidence and experience. I regularly turn right round to see what's going on behind me. Spacial awareness will come with time.

Good luck. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien




Joined: 25 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mirrors get half obscured by my elbows, I just tuck them in when I want a good look. When looking behind with my head I look slightly down and then round. Work's fine for me.

Should all come together with experience karen, just keep on riding. Thumbs Up
____________________
02 Firestorm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to think how I look behind as it's something you just do, not think about Confused
Think my technique is more of a drop left shoulder and tilt head sideways. Not quite sure if that'll work okay with all the weight on your wrists with a sportsbike thou Thinking

HTH Smile
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant turn my head that far either, i just tilt my head down and to the side, like your looking towards the floor and it seems to give me a better view, I also use my mirrors alot. My elbows also get in the way but i just move them when i need to check directly behind me. Rolling Eyes mmm, not sure if that made any sense at all but i know what i meant! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Pants!
I Karma



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely a skill you aquire with practice. My rear observations feel a little untidy sometimes. Like Sadie said, go somewhere quiet and practice.
____________________
Mr Pants! (Alex or Al)
Its better to burn out, than to fade away....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see the problem.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't twist my head very far to the right and it was a source of constant exasperation to my DAS instructor who took to grabbing my helmet and trying to twist my head round further than it would actually go (bad neck). Laughing

Don't have a problem myself though - good use of the mirrors means you're not really looking behind you, the blind spot is more to the side and back than directly behind. It only bothered me when I had the aftermarket fairing on the CB5 - the mirrors on that were terrible so I really did need to see behind. Now it's a kind of nudge elbow in, shuft in the opposite direction and look sort of thing... hard to describe. Smile

Left side I can twist my head further so I do that 'normally'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a different technique is required. Try shifting so only your right bum cheek is on the seat and turning your shoulders around to the right.

I've seen a few riders do this on the motorway before.. Thumbs Up
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a few neck exercises when at home watching tv or something, I had a similar problem and found giving the muscles a good work out on a regular basis worked wonders.

Even if it doesn't help your neck will feel great Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did actually try a blind spot mirror on the off side mirror, this did help for a while. it really is just practice, i used to drift badly when lifesaving..

the main thing is however you do them, the lifesaver is just that..
____________________
"still no idea where poohsticks bridge is"
www.bosunsbikes.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can second the fact that the mirrors on the NS125R are crap, however, but I just tuck my elbows in and as for turning around I do what some people have mentioned before and look down and round, if not, my helmet seems to restrict me slightly!

Maybe you should take up yoga Karen!!! Wink
____________________
I have an asshole tolerance level of -10 Twisted Evil
Mr. Green Dance! Mr. Green www.cliqueyclanmcc.co.uk Mr. Green Dance! Mr. Green
www.bebo.com/fallenangelfran
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hustler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to tuck my elbows in on the NC30, had that same old problem of only seeing my elbows in the mirrors.

Once you get more confidence you end up being able to turn your head quite alot with a twist of the upper torso too.

Most important thing if your doing a major move to look behind you (rather than a simple life safer), is to make sure your not in danger of running into something in front of you Wink
____________________
As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to the rear, observe to the front!

I have ridden many bikes with no mirrors at all, either for styling or because they have fallen off and I can't be arsed to fix them...Come to think of it, any bike I have owned has rapidly mutated into having no more than one mirror. You soon get good at checking behind you.

On a sports bike I pull my elbow in and look behind me kind of along a line a third of the way down my upper arm. It isn't really BEHIND you that is an issue, you should see that in your mirrors. It is the car alongside you that you couldn't see in the mirrors that is the point of lifesavers.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out last night - after not being on the bike for about a fortnight - and thought about what you said Karen.

I don't really turn my head more than level with my shoulder, the rest of the look is turning my eyes so I can see as far back as possible, but really, if you can see to the side that there's nothing there, then you're clear and can go.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure it will get better the more you practice. Thumbs Up
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your tips and advice. You've certainly made me feel better about it all.

I think it was the almost killing myself bit which worried me and made me think about if I'm good enough to be out on a bike.

I know I need to practice, but I'm scared to get out on my bike now Crying or Very sad

I discovered that my lid could have a part to play in all this...it's got a big chin which catches on my jacket when I turn my head. May have to look into getting a new, less 'Jimmy Hill effect' of lid.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.12 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.55 Kb