|
|
| Author |
Message |
| karen_moomin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karen_moomin World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:49 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry, I am a tad confused, do you mean your neck is not physically allowing you to look right round or what?  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| karen_moomin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karen_moomin World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jammy-G |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Jammy-G Banned

Joined: 17 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:50 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
This will become easier. As you learn to control your bike better you will be able to look over your shoulder by moving your body round.
Why don't you take the bike onto an industrial estate at the weekend or some quiet road and practice it while there is no traffic about. It will soon come.
The other trick is to pretend that you have no mirrors. This concentrates the mind wonderfully when it comes to looking behind you. I rode for a month without mirrors when I was learning so that I would have to use my lifesavers.
 ____________________ With experience comes age. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:51 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Karen, try not to look intensely. Normally, a good glance will be enough to sense whether there is something there. Try to use your eyes, without moving my head I can see what is alongside me.
Definately go for some better mirrors That will improve your confidence for sure. ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smoto Bob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smoto Bob World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Dec 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:52 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: bike |
 |
|
its because you on a crappy sports bike lol and leaning forwards i could never see behind me on the cbr, trick is to get a 600 then you don't need to see behind you just whats zooming towards you rapidly in front
Better wing mirrors will help no end, i dont have any on my trials bikes but then i just just turn around nerrr  ____________________ F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carvell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carvell Scuttler

Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zen Dog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zen Dog World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:59 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have pretty much the same problem on my NSR. All I can see in the mirrors is my armoured elbows (which look funky ass, but thats not the point...).
And I can't really turn my head far enough to check my blind spots, only right next to me. Neither of these were a problem on my KMX.
I can either move my whole body to one side slightly so I can turn to look properly, or the other alternative is to bend down and look under your armpit, but both techniques need a bit of practice to avoid wandering all over the road... ____________________ Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:01 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
It can also be down to the helmet/gear combination you have. It's recommended that you sit on a bike similar to what you have when buying kit. I know that's not always possible though.
You do get used to turning your body more to look around as you gain more confidence and experience. I regularly turn right round to see what's going on behind me. Spacial awareness will come with time.
Good luck.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zaknafien |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 zaknafien

Joined: 25 Mar 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:03 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
My mirrors get half obscured by my elbows, I just tuck them in when I want a good look. When looking behind with my head I look slightly down and then round. Work's fine for me.
Should all come together with experience karen, just keep on riding.  ____________________ 02 Firestorm. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:05 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Been trying to think how I look behind as it's something you just do, not think about
Think my technique is more of a drop left shoulder and tilt head sideways. Not quite sure if that'll work okay with all the weight on your wrists with a sportsbike thou
HTH  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nc30 chick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nc30 chick Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:05 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I cant turn my head that far either, i just tilt my head down and to the side, like your looking towards the floor and it seems to give me a better view, I also use my mirrors alot. My elbows also get in the way but i just move them when i need to check directly behind me. mmm, not sure if that made any sense at all but i know what i meant!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Pants! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Pants! I Karma
Joined: 29 May 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| flat spot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 flat spot World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Aug 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:26 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can't twist my head very far to the right and it was a source of constant exasperation to my DAS instructor who took to grabbing my helmet and trying to twist my head round further than it would actually go (bad neck).
Don't have a problem myself though - good use of the mirrors means you're not really looking behind you, the blind spot is more to the side and back than directly behind. It only bothered me when I had the aftermarket fairing on the CB5 - the mirrors on that were terrible so I really did need to see behind. Now it's a kind of nudge elbow in, shuft in the opposite direction and look sort of thing... hard to describe.
Left side I can twist my head further so I do that 'normally'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:30 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Maybe a different technique is required. Try shifting so only your right bum cheek is on the seat and turning your shoulders around to the right.
I've seen a few riders do this on the motorway before..  ____________________ NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Git |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Git Brolly Dolly
Joined: 17 Dec 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:50 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Try a few neck exercises when at home watching tv or something, I had a similar problem and found giving the muscles a good work out on a regular basis worked wonders.
Even if it doesn't help your neck will feel great  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| aqualung1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 aqualung1 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 15 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:30 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
i did actually try a blind spot mirror on the off side mirror, this did help for a while. it really is just practice, i used to drift badly when lifesaving..
the main thing is however you do them, the lifesaver is just that.. ____________________ "still no idea where poohsticks bridge is"
www.bosunsbikes.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fallen Angel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fallen Angel Franny the Nanny

Joined: 08 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:33 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can second the fact that the mirrors on the NS125R are crap, however, but I just tuck my elbows in and as for turning around I do what some people have mentioned before and look down and round, if not, my helmet seems to restrict me slightly!
Maybe you should take up yoga Karen!!!  ____________________ I have an asshole tolerance level of -10
www.cliqueyclanmcc.co.uk
www.bebo.com/fallenangelfran |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hustler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hustler Crazy Courier

Joined: 29 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 31 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used to tuck my elbows in on the NC30, had that same old problem of only seeing my elbows in the mirrors.
Once you get more confidence you end up being able to turn your head quite alot with a twist of the upper torso too.
Most important thing if your doing a major move to look behind you (rather than a simple life safer), is to make sure your not in danger of running into something in front of you  ____________________ As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:18 - 01 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Check to the rear, observe to the front!
I have ridden many bikes with no mirrors at all, either for styling or because they have fallen off and I can't be arsed to fix them...Come to think of it, any bike I have owned has rapidly mutated into having no more than one mirror. You soon get good at checking behind you.
On a sports bike I pull my elbow in and look behind me kind of along a line a third of the way down my upper arm. It isn't really BEHIND you that is an issue, you should see that in your mirrors. It is the car alongside you that you couldn't see in the mirrors that is the point of lifesavers. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Adam_P |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Adam_P World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:58 - 01 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I went out last night - after not being on the bike for about a fortnight - and thought about what you said Karen.
I don't really turn my head more than level with my shoulder, the rest of the look is turning my eyes so I can see as far back as possible, but really, if you can see to the side that there's nothing there, then you're clear and can go.
Don't worry about it. I'm sure it will get better the more you practice.  ____________________ Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| karen_moomin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karen_moomin World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:16 - 01 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all your tips and advice. You've certainly made me feel better about it all.
I think it was the almost killing myself bit which worried me and made me think about if I'm good enough to be out on a bike.
I know I need to practice, but I'm scared to get out on my bike now
I discovered that my lid could have a part to play in all this...it's got a big chin which catches on my jacket when I turn my head. May have to look into getting a new, less 'Jimmy Hill effect' of lid. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 22 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|