Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


OEM tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Werny
Traffic Copper



Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: OEM tyres Reply with quote

Just a quick question, as I'm slightly curious about this.

I bought my xj6 new last year with Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tyres fitted. I quite liked them, so when it came time to replace the rear, about 5k miles, I fitted another roadsmart.

Since then I've noticed a distinct band appear on the center of the tyre where the harder compound is, it's really obvious just glancing at it. However I cannot remember seeing the same banding on the original tyre, same type/make/spec/whatever tyre. I was also somewhat suprised at having to get a new tyre at 5k miles, this is an xj6 with bugger all bhp, I kind of expected a bit more life.

Now seeing this strip made me wonder if there is any possibility the OEM tyres are in any way inferior to the exact same tyres bought as replacements. Do Dunlop maybe supply single compound sportmax tyres to Yamaha? Or should I just put away my tinfoil hat?

If it helps the front tyre is still the original and showing no sign of banding, although it does really need to be replaced now at 8k or so.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often oem tyres are inferior to the ones you buy from a dealer/tyre place to replace them with.

The manufacturer gets them at a cheaper price. Its not something they shout about, but it does happen.

Dunlop are buggers for doing this, as are Bridgestone (they did it with the BT016, but cant remember which bikes they were fitted oem)

Mileage wise though 5k doesent sound too bad to be honest, but as usual it all comes down to how much stick you give them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just assume it's because the tyre is now being made by a new lowest bidder in whichever humid hell hole has the cheapest access to rubber and child labour.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k is low for a roadsmart, though.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a rear roadsmart on my vfr, approching 9k miles including 2k touring fully loaded 2 up! Must be a couple of mm left too
____________________
preivious : 2007 Skyjet 125 (died), 1991 gsf400 (problems, rotting in garden)
1996 gsf600n (sold)
current : 1996 VFR750 for sale, PM for info! 2000 E1 ZX-9r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said it was new, but have you checked the wheel alignment is ok?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Werny
Traffic Copper



Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys!

beatnck2 wrote:
Quite often oem tyres are inferior to the ones you buy from a dealer/tyre place to replace them with.


Somehow, that doesn't suprise me Sad

beatnck2 wrote:
...it all comes down to how much stick you give them.


I do like to ride a bit spiritedly, but it's a low power pissy commuter, not a sports bike.

garth wrote:
5k is low for a roadsmart, though.


chillyman0 wrote:
got a rear roadsmart on my vfr, approching 9k miles including 2k touring fully loaded 2 up! Must be a couple of mm left too


I had thought it may be a bit low milage, glad for some kind of confirmation Very Happy

Nick 50 wrote:
I know you said it was new, but have you checked the wheel alignment is ok?


I've not checked alignment, but it has had 2 dealer services and nothing was said about that. I know that's no guarantee, however!

Thanks again for the replies Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often OEM tyres are different to the tyres you buy from the shops. I found with a pair of oem 014's they were much harder wearing, stiffer, offered less feedback, grip and warmed up slower than the replacement 014's I had fitted from a shop.

Even though the name was the same the compound used was noticeably different.

Is your rear shock set a little too stiff? And despite your bike not being a hugely powerful beast, I've found with lower BHP bikes I'm often pinning the throttle a lot more than on bigger bikes where I'm smoother.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit confused as to what you mean actually...

Do you get a visible strip or a strip that has worn abnormally as with my rear sometimes in the damp i can get home from an easy ride and there is a distinct strip of lighter colour rubber in the centre. doesnt usually mean it is wearing abnormally...
____________________
preivious : 2007 Skyjet 125 (died), 1991 gsf400 (problems, rotting in garden)
1996 gsf600n (sold)
current : 1996 VFR750 for sale, PM for info! 2000 E1 ZX-9r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Werny
Traffic Copper



Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a distinct strip of lighter rubber in the center of the tyre, I'm not worried about it as I know it's just the different compound. The only reason I mentioned it was that I didn't notice this colour difference on the old tyre.

There is no abnormal wear, in fact 3k miles after fitting it still looks mostly new Mr. Green

Rowey wrote:
Is your rear shock set a little too stiff? And despite your bike not being a hugely powerful beast, I've found with lower BHP bikes I'm often pinning the throttle a lot more than on bigger bikes where I'm smoother.


My shock has not been adjusted since I bought it, I don't know what I'm doing with suspension, or anything really, so I leave it well alone. I am a right skinny bastard, so if it's set to suit a normal 12-13 stone bloke then for me at 10 stone it will obviously be wrong.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I get the colour strip, dont worry about it Thumbs Up
____________________
preivious : 2007 Skyjet 125 (died), 1991 gsf400 (problems, rotting in garden)
1996 gsf600n (sold)
current : 1996 VFR750 for sale, PM for info! 2000 E1 ZX-9r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Spin Doctor
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post here so hi to everyone...

Sorry to be along a bit late on the topic, but I just happened to spot the OP on a google search.

My XJ6 Divvie also came with Roadsmarts, and the rear on mine (with very little m'way use incidentally) was squared off and totally finished at 4500 miles.

Interesting point about spotting the lighter band on the replacement Roadsmart, because I used to run the twin compound Bridgestone BT45s on our training school bikes and they would visibly show up the dual compound.

There was certainly no such banding on the OE Roadsmart, so I'm wondering if the speculation is indeed correct, and the OE fitment ISN'T dual compound.

It would certainly explain why it wore out so fast and squared so badly! It also makes for a total mismatch wear-wise with the front - mine's just hit 10k and it's still got about 2mm on it - I'm just about to replace it with a new Conti for the winter.

If that's the case that Dunlop saves a few pennies by fitting a single soft-compound tyre that wears out quickly, it's a bit daft as the result of fast wear is that most riders seem to fit something else when the time comes to change the tyre, costing them business in the long run.
____________________
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" Herodotus 450BC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you finally left visordown Spin?


Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Spin Doctor
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
Have you finally left visordown Spin?


Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .


Thank you Smile I wondered if I'd bump in to a few familiar faces Wink

Sadly VD's dead in the water... amazing what a few ill-judged marketing "opportunities" can do to a once thriving community. Rolling Eyes

I'm still technically a mod of the 'Survival Skills' section (I think they forgot about me when they turned off the old mod crew's powers Wink ) but about the only post in the last month was to a three year old thread having a rant about people trying to get their knee down Very Happy

I'll no doubt poke around the various sections!

One thing you might be able to help with... where's the SUBMIT button? I can see a preview button, and if I click that I get a SUBMIT button appear, but I can't see one on the editing window that avoids having to go to the preview first. Am I missing something?
____________________
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" Herodotus 450BC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spin Doctor wrote:

One thing you might be able to help with... where's the SUBMIT button? I can see a preview button, and if I click that I get a SUBMIT button appear, but I can't see one on the editing window that avoids having to go to the preview first. Am I missing something?


It will appear after you've made a few posts, it's just to get people used to writing in proper English!
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left VD a while back, the forum was on it's knees then and is pretty much 6ft under now Surprised .

The Spin Doctor wrote:
One thing you might be able to help with... where's the SUBMIT button? I can see a preview button, and if I click that I get a SUBMIT button appear, but I can't see one on the editing window that avoids having to go to the preview first. Am I missing something?



There is a Karma system on BCF that makes the forum pretty much self moderating - basically if you help people out, post good info, avoid swearing and crap spelling etc etc you get positive karma (see the little Thumbs Up Thumbs Down in the corner of other people's posts - here you rate other people's posts/thank them for advice etc), when you have a bit more positive karma you won't need to preview your posts and can just click submit.

Negative karma is used when people are abusive, post crap information or spam, enough negative karma gets them banned.

If you are interested:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21812



Enjoy the forum Thumbs Up .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Spin Doctor
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got it... thanks folks.

It was probably in the Posting Guidelines which I did skim through!

All is now clear!
____________________
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" Herodotus 450BC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bridgestones they fit to busas as oem are utter crap
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 29 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:

Dunlop are buggers for doing this, as are Bridgestone (they did it with the BT016, but cant remember which bikes they were fitted oem)


A bit of a late reply, but I believe you're thinking of the CBR600RR. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 106.7 Kb