Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wow, I have suddenly become invisble

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Wow, I have suddenly become invisble Reply with quote

Took my new bike out for a spin tonight and shocked at the sheer arrogance on the roads. A van driver tried to twice undercut me on a roundabout and was blaring his horn at me. I held my line though and refused to speed just for him! I was doing 30 in a 30! Then i had a few cars pull out on me Twisted Evil

Didnt stop me having fun, but reminder of having my wits about me Cool
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Angel Girl
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm dreading getting out ther for this reason Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called 'welcome to the world of motorbike riding'...you will find that you become highly aware of everything, you basically need to have eyes in the back of your head, and intuition, and mind-reading skills...learn the hard stare, and hunch up your shoulders like you are something to be scared of...and ride in a generally aggressive/defensive manner. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dilyan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you keep you headlight on all the time? I do, whether its day or night.

Not that it will help you much Wink
____________________
Current: 2007 VFR800; Ex: 2001 YZF600R Thundercat
Škoda Octavia (yes, a taxi driver)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Re: Wow, I have suddenly become invisble Reply with quote

trikeschick wrote:

Didnt stop me having fun, but reminder of having my wits about me Cool

We live on our wits.... LIVE on our wits!
You'll get to a point where it becomes SO normal, you just shrug it off... THOUGH you WILL still get the 'odd' one or two that take the proverbial.....
I slapped the rear quarter of a hatch back driven by an old grandad (he says.... remembering his daughter brought the grandkids to see him yesterday!)...... who, while I sat stationary, top of my own road; turning left at the mini-roundabout he decided he needed ALL the road to make his turn with...... INCLUDING the bit my toes were covering!
though funiest one, was twenty years ago... I fell off on a round about.... I had just fitted a fairing to my AR125, had to do a U-turn on a tight off camber roundabout to get to my Uni-Digs from college; coming round teh round about, probably walking pace.... leaning, leaning, turning turning.... SOMETHING wasn''t quite right, and I wasn't making it round....

AS my nice new, EXPENSIVE plastic touched the tarmac, it dawned on me.... I wasn't MOVING FORWARDS.....

As I stumbled and started to pick the bike up..... I realised that at full right lock, clutch lever was fouling teh fairing, dissengaging 'drive' inconveniently, for me....

This SORT of gives you an idea of how 'slow' all this must have happened.... becouse the NEXT THING, and I am sortying myself out, there is a screeach of tyres.... take note... SCREACH of tyres.... alerting me to a 'hazard' in the form of a Ford Fiesta performing an emergency stop up to the roundabout......

It came to a halt, next to my left leg.... so DIDN'T quite manage to stop before the 'give way' line......

Woman in the drivers seat, window down, summers day, looks at me, hunting for the kickstarter, as of course, soon as I picke dthe bike up, straightened handlebars, clutch engaged and engine stalled........

"Bludy Bikers! Maniacs!"...... Hmmm Ok.... motorbike, triggering sponteneouse outrage against a stereo-type...... but.... uhmmmmmmm...."If y'adden't been going so FAST wouldn't have fallen off!"

Of course, I was blocking her way, so she couldn't go anywhere; and in nice David Niven accent, I replied; "My dear, if I had actually been MOVING, I wouldn't have fallen over.... on the other hand, if YOU hadn't been going so fast, you MIGHT have actually STOPPED, before, the roundabout?!" She clicked and tutted, and drove around me?!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tailpipe-gating" is par for the course, sadly. White Van Man is usually pretty bad for it, but couriers and Royal Mail nutters are the worst I've seen. I genuinely think some of them value their schedules more than people's lives, and not just in the heat of the moment.

See my thread about getting bad drivers off the road before they kill someone.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost like a tank on my bike but some still don't see me.

It is good fun on the motorway though as I have a large bike, loads of very good lights and I'm big too. They just seem to run out of the way when they see me coming up behind them. Same goes for filtering. It is a confidence thing though and it grows the more you are on the bike.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I been on bikes since I was big enough to reach the pegs but more recently I have been riding a trike, which tends to solicit a different response from car drivers. I perhaps am being slightly more sensitive as I am cautious of my newbie status. but that van driver I fear was trying it on, had I been in the car he wouldn't have been able to do that to me. i wonder if he would be so happy if it was his wife or daughter that was being harassed!
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"


Last edited by trikeschick on 22:13 - 31 Aug 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
It's called 'welcome to the world of motorbike riding'...you will find that you become highly aware of everything, you basically need to have eyes in the back of your head, and intuition, and mind-reading skills...learn the hard stare, and hunch up your shoulders like you are something to be scared of...and ride in a generally aggressive/defensive manner. Thumbs Up


This pretty much sums it up.

You passed your test just the other day if I recall correctly. Its for times like that we say congrats on passing and now the real learning begins.

Clangers note about aggressive/defensive riding its spot on. The trick is to ride defensively whilst maintaining command of your position in the road. You've every right to be there so own your little bit of tarmac the bike takes up but be prepared for numpties pulling out on you, cutting you up and generally trying to barge you off the road.

Its a habit that does become second nature with both time and experience.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure - I have done my defensive driving in the car, so am arranging to go for ROSPA training on the bike next before the winter sets in. I guess it was just a reality check at how this is just the start of the learning process. Very Happy
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a gander at this

https://www.visordown.com/features/7-tips-for-city-motorcycle-riding/18806.html

HTH Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 31 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all out to get you. Except me when I'm driving. Honest.

Just imagine you are invisible, and ride accordingly.

When in doubt about whether you are 'cloaked', give them a bit of horn (or cancel your indicators at them). Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trikeschick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:06 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:


Thank you Smile
____________________
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I'm almost like a tank on my bike but some still don't see me.
....They just seem to run out of the way when they see me coming up behind them. Same goes for filtering. It is a confidence thing though and it grows the more you are on the bike.


+1
Having the confidence to adopt a dominant riding style can make a really noticeable difference Twisted Evil

(and maybe me having 20+ years of road experience might help) Wink

[edit : and for the record I purposely avoided using the word "aggressive" to describe my riding style, as I think it could be mis-interpreted]
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF


Last edited by Dazbo666 on 13:06 - 01 Sep 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trikeschick, glad to see you got your bike and are enjoying being out on it. It's always an eye opener once the L-plates come off.

As everyone else has said defensive/dominant driving is a must especially if you drive in town. You are invisible. You're just a slight shadow in a rear/side view mirror - a 'did I just see something....nah...I don't need to check again' ghost. If your bike is in any way as quiet as mine then they wont even hear you especially when you filter. Always assume that they never saw you and ride accordingly, oh and don't forget to nod a thanks to the drivers that do see you and either move over or give way. They may either be bikers themselves or just nice and aware folks who'll probably do the same again cause you said thanks.

With time will come confidence (and filtering) and then maybe you will ride more aggressively when needs be.

Safe riding Thumbs Up
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Big One
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 01 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to remember is some people really do not care, they think they are more important than anybody else and if you are in the way they will move you. We all need to be carefull.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:18 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweenyT"oh and don't forget to nod a thanks to the drivers that do see you and either move over or give way. They may either be bikers themselves or just nice and aware folks who'll probably do the same again cause you said thanks.[/quote]

Always shift for bikers in the car if I have room, I tend to find over half are ignorant oiks who don't acknowledge it though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:07 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some contrast to the discussion.

Strangely, I don't seem to have too much trouble if I'm being honest.

I've not been cut up or pulled out in front of (yet) - but I like to think I'd not end up in a situation where I hadn't seen it coming anyway.

Lots of people (not all....and it's usually the fat-cats in their fat Mercs, or Mum's in their fun-buses that don't) seem to move over in traffic jams to let me past, and generally I notice that drivers seem to be more aware of bikers than they used to be.

Agree about the odd tailgating by a van - although it also happens when you're in a car as well. The extra height and driving position offered by a typical van does lend itself to making the driver pilot the van like a total prick - because you can see that much further ahead (I know this, as I had a work van for a number of months, and I too found myself doing it at times Embarassed ).

I always thank people who move over for me on my bike - although must admit, it seems only 50% of bikers I move over for when I'm in my car thank me. Which is a bit annoying, as I get my nice rims to within inches of the kerb to let them past! Laughing
____________________
Twitter is for people who can't STFU even when they're by themselves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make it a habit to nod my thanks and if I think the driver has been especially thoughtful (warning me of something approaching..) I try to give an extra hand wave too Smile

Some riders are just plain arrogant and couldn't care less so don't bother to thank drivers. I move over for riders if I can when I'm driving and I've even done it when I'm riding as sometimes I'm quite content to sit in a small amount of traffic and chill.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aquila
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:


Hey, nice stuff! Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I urge you to do my advanced motorcycling course entitled "How to read minds in five easy steps". I will teach you how to know that the cager indicating to go left actually wants to go right, or correctly pick out which BMW driver decided not to go for the expensive indicators when choosing their optional extras. Learn the magical ways that the Micra drivers see the world (everything is clear, time for me to pull out!) and tackle the mind boggling roadcraft of the white van driver.....

If you don't want to fork out £150 plus VAT for my totally-not-made-up seminar, best advice is to claim your part of the road and never sit in their blind spot. If you can see their face in their mirrors then they can see you if they bother to use them. Expect the unexpected! And above all, don't panic when someone does something stupid, pick your escape route quickly and make sure you are safe. Although that would be a little more complicated on a trike than on a bike but the principle is the same Smile
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new rider, just got permission from the Gov to ride a 125cc on the road and this morning went out on the Baby Vara for a spot of country roads (Which was freakin awesome btw)

I was in pos 2 in a single lane, doing 30 (the limit) keeping 2-3 sec gap, check mirrors, see bimbo in car about 10 feet behind. I know this road, there are speed cameras all along it.

5 seconds later I check mirrors and she aint there, she pulled round me on a right turn arrow (the road widens for people turning) and then pulls in front of me.

Damn shit the life outta me. Smile

Thing is, it got her nowhere as there was a big ass lorry in front of me.

Stupid fukin bitch Laughing

Guess I gotta be careful out there Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I urge you to do my advanced motorcycling course entitled "How to read minds in five easy steps". I will teach you how to know that the cager indicating to go left actually wants to go right, or correctly pick out which BMW driver decided not to go for the expensive indicators when choosing their optional extras. Learn the magical ways that the Micra drivers see the world (everything is clear, time for me to pull out!) and tackle the mind boggling roadcraft of the white van driver.....

If you don't want to fork out £150 plus VAT for my totally-not-made-up seminar, best advice is to claim your part of the road and never sit in their blind spot. If you can see their face in their mirrors then they can see you if they bother to use them. Expect the unexpected! And above all, don't panic when someone does something stupid, pick your escape route quickly and make sure you are safe. Although that would be a little more complicated on a trike than on a bike but the principle is the same Smile


+1

Remember also that even if they do see your face there is always the high possibility that they wont even care that you're there.

Alex_B, I always expect drivers to do stuff like that. As Waffles said 'pick your escape route and make sure you're safe'. In that circumstance if behind a lorry or van I would have probably rode slightly to the right of pos 2 and possibly in pos 3 to try and let the van/lorry driver catch sight of me/my headlight in his side mirror but I would always keep an eye on the left of me so I don't get undercut.

Luckily the idiot didnt cause you to come to grief and you are hre to ride another day Thumbs Up
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The L plates are a bit of a red rag. Bear in mind that all speedos read over, so an indicated 33 is likely to be close to an actual 30.

Oh, as far as I'm concerned, the default[1] road position in traffic is a gnat's whisker to the left of the centre of the carriageway, with a bit of weaving to keep them guessing. Anyone who wants to go around should be clear that they'll have to use the whole other side of the carriageway; there'll be no lane sharing nonsense going on.

[1] adjust as necessary
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FirebladeRuss
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your course content might need updating Waffles.

Replacing 'BMW' with AUDI or VW, particularly TDi variants. Wink
____________________
Twitter is for people who can't STFU even when they're by themselves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.47 Kb