|
|
| Author |
Message |
| trikeschick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trikeschick Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:15 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: Wow, I have suddenly become invisble |
 |
|
Took my new bike out for a spin tonight and shocked at the sheer arrogance on the roads. A van driver tried to twice undercut me on a roundabout and was blaring his horn at me. I held my line though and refused to speed just for him! I was doing 30 in a 30! Then i had a few cars pull out on me
Didnt stop me having fun, but reminder of having my wits about me  ____________________ "Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Angel Girl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Angel Girl Scooby Slapper

Joined: 12 Jul 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:28 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah I'm dreading getting out ther for this reason  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:34 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's called 'welcome to the world of motorbike riding'...you will find that you become highly aware of everything, you basically need to have eyes in the back of your head, and intuition, and mind-reading skills...learn the hard stare, and hunch up your shoulders like you are something to be scared of...and ride in a generally aggressive/defensive manner.  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dilyan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dilyan World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Nov 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:37 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do you keep you headlight on all the time? I do, whether its day or night.
Not that it will help you much  ____________________ Current: 2007 VFR800; Ex: 2001 YZF600R Thundercat
Škoda Octavia (yes, a taxi driver) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: Re: Wow, I have suddenly become invisble |
 |
|
| trikeschick wrote: |
Didnt stop me having fun, but reminder of having my wits about me  |
We live on our wits.... LIVE on our wits!
You'll get to a point where it becomes SO normal, you just shrug it off... THOUGH you WILL still get the 'odd' one or two that take the proverbial.....
I slapped the rear quarter of a hatch back driven by an old grandad (he says.... remembering his daughter brought the grandkids to see him yesterday!)...... who, while I sat stationary, top of my own road; turning left at the mini-roundabout he decided he needed ALL the road to make his turn with...... INCLUDING the bit my toes were covering!
though funiest one, was twenty years ago... I fell off on a round about.... I had just fitted a fairing to my AR125, had to do a U-turn on a tight off camber roundabout to get to my Uni-Digs from college; coming round teh round about, probably walking pace.... leaning, leaning, turning turning.... SOMETHING wasn''t quite right, and I wasn't making it round....
AS my nice new, EXPENSIVE plastic touched the tarmac, it dawned on me.... I wasn't MOVING FORWARDS.....
As I stumbled and started to pick the bike up..... I realised that at full right lock, clutch lever was fouling teh fairing, dissengaging 'drive' inconveniently, for me....
This SORT of gives you an idea of how 'slow' all this must have happened.... becouse the NEXT THING, and I am sortying myself out, there is a screeach of tyres.... take note... SCREACH of tyres.... alerting me to a 'hazard' in the form of a Ford Fiesta performing an emergency stop up to the roundabout......
It came to a halt, next to my left leg.... so DIDN'T quite manage to stop before the 'give way' line......
Woman in the drivers seat, window down, summers day, looks at me, hunting for the kickstarter, as of course, soon as I picke dthe bike up, straightened handlebars, clutch engaged and engine stalled........
"Bludy Bikers! Maniacs!"...... Hmmm Ok.... motorbike, triggering sponteneouse outrage against a stereo-type...... but.... uhmmmmmmm...."If y'adden't been going so FAST wouldn't have fallen off!"
Of course, I was blocking her way, so she couldn't go anywhere; and in nice David Niven accent, I replied; "My dear, if I had actually been MOVING, I wouldn't have fallen over.... on the other hand, if YOU hadn't been going so fast, you MIGHT have actually STOPPED, before, the roundabout?!" She clicked and tutted, and drove around me?! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:47 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
"Tailpipe-gating" is par for the course, sadly. White Van Man is usually pretty bad for it, but couriers and Royal Mail nutters are the worst I've seen. I genuinely think some of them value their schedules more than people's lives, and not just in the heat of the moment.
See my thread about getting bad drivers off the road before they kill someone. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trikeschick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trikeschick Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trikeschick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trikeschick Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:16 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
For sure - I have done my defensive driving in the car, so am arranging to go for ROSPA training on the bike next before the winter sets in. I guess it was just a reality check at how this is just the start of the learning process.  ____________________ "Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:05 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ajbsmirnoff |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ajbsmirnoff World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Dec 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:06 - 31 Aug 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
They're all out to get you. Except me when I'm driving. Honest.
Just imagine you are invisible, and ride accordingly.
When in doubt about whether you are 'cloaked', give them a bit of horn (or cancel your indicators at them).  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trikeschick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trikeschick Traffic Copper

Joined: 14 Mar 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 07:06 - 01 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thank you  ____________________ "Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:16 - 01 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi Trikeschick, glad to see you got your bike and are enjoying being out on it. It's always an eye opener once the L-plates come off.
As everyone else has said defensive/dominant driving is a must especially if you drive in town. You are invisible. You're just a slight shadow in a rear/side view mirror - a 'did I just see something....nah...I don't need to check again' ghost. If your bike is in any way as quiet as mine then they wont even hear you especially when you filter. Always assume that they never saw you and ride accordingly, oh and don't forget to nod a thanks to the drivers that do see you and either move over or give way. They may either be bikers themselves or just nice and aware folks who'll probably do the same again cause you said thanks.
With time will come confidence (and filtering) and then maybe you will ride more aggressively when needs be.
Safe riding  ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Big One |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Big One L Plate Warrior
Joined: 01 Sep 2011 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sload |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sload World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FirebladeRuss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FirebladeRuss Spanner Monkey
Joined: 27 Apr 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:07 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just to add some contrast to the discussion.
Strangely, I don't seem to have too much trouble if I'm being honest.
I've not been cut up or pulled out in front of (yet) - but I like to think I'd not end up in a situation where I hadn't seen it coming anyway.
Lots of people (not all....and it's usually the fat-cats in their fat Mercs, or Mum's in their fun-buses that don't) seem to move over in traffic jams to let me past, and generally I notice that drivers seem to be more aware of bikers than they used to be.
Agree about the odd tailgating by a van - although it also happens when you're in a car as well. The extra height and driving position offered by a typical van does lend itself to making the driver pilot the van like a total prick - because you can see that much further ahead (I know this, as I had a work van for a number of months, and I too found myself doing it at times ).
I always thank people who move over for me on my bike - although must admit, it seems only 50% of bikers I move over for when I'm in my car thank me. Which is a bit annoying, as I get my nice rims to within inches of the kerb to let them past!  ____________________ Twitter is for people who can't STFU even when they're by themselves |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:19 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I always make it a habit to nod my thanks and if I think the driver has been especially thoughtful (warning me of something approaching..) I try to give an extra hand wave too
Some riders are just plain arrogant and couldn't care less so don't bother to thank drivers. I move over for riders if I can when I'm driving and I've even done it when I'm riding as sometimes I'm quite content to sit in a small amount of traffic and chill. ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aquila |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aquila Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 01 Aug 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:20 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| waffles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 waffles World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Oct 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:58 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I urge you to do my advanced motorcycling course entitled "How to read minds in five easy steps". I will teach you how to know that the cager indicating to go left actually wants to go right, or correctly pick out which BMW driver decided not to go for the expensive indicators when choosing their optional extras. Learn the magical ways that the Micra drivers see the world (everything is clear, time for me to pull out!) and tackle the mind boggling roadcraft of the white van driver.....
If you don't want to fork out £150 plus VAT for my totally-not-made-up seminar, best advice is to claim your part of the road and never sit in their blind spot. If you can see their face in their mirrors then they can see you if they bother to use them. Expect the unexpected! And above all, don't panic when someone does something stupid, pick your escape route quickly and make sure you are safe. Although that would be a little more complicated on a trike than on a bike but the principle is the same  ____________________ Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alex_B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alex_B Brolly Dolly
Joined: 15 Jul 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:16 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm a new rider, just got permission from the Gov to ride a 125cc on the road and this morning went out on the Baby Vara for a spot of country roads (Which was freakin awesome btw)
I was in pos 2 in a single lane, doing 30 (the limit) keeping 2-3 sec gap, check mirrors, see bimbo in car about 10 feet behind. I know this road, there are speed cameras all along it.
5 seconds later I check mirrors and she aint there, she pulled round me on a right turn arrow (the road widens for people turning) and then pulls in front of me.
Damn shit the life outta me.
Thing is, it got her nowhere as there was a big ass lorry in front of me.
Stupid fukin bitch
Guess I gotta be careful out there  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:03 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
The L plates are a bit of a red rag. Bear in mind that all speedos read over, so an indicated 33 is likely to be close to an actual 30.
Oh, as far as I'm concerned, the default[1] road position in traffic is a gnat's whisker to the left of the centre of the carriageway, with a bit of weaving to keep them guessing. Anyone who wants to go around should be clear that they'll have to use the whole other side of the carriageway; there'll be no lane sharing nonsense going on.
[1] adjust as necessary ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FirebladeRuss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FirebladeRuss Spanner Monkey
Joined: 27 Apr 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:49 - 02 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Think your course content might need updating Waffles.
Replacing 'BMW' with AUDI or VW, particularly TDi variants.  ____________________ Twitter is for people who can't STFU even when they're by themselves |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|