Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

gdog74
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 24 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Bike storage Reply with quote

Afternoon folks

I'm in the process of bike hunting at the moment, and have seen a couple that look good, including one which is VERY tempting. My main problem putting me off buying is storage. I don't have a garage and live in a terraced house, albeit on a reasonably quiet road. The bikes I've been looking at have had alarms, and it's likely something I'd fit if there weren't one. Likewise, I'd be looking at getting locks etc. I have a yard in front of the house, but it's too small a fit to get your typical 500-600 bike in and out of, so isn't an option.
I'm just a bit loathed to spend money on a bike and leave it out in the elements all day/night. Admittedly, I do this with my car, but somehow it doesn't seem right with a bike

With the exception of moving house to one with a garage, I'm a bit stumped. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Graeme
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cover?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cover is a surprisingly good deterrant, as it happens. Chain it to a lamp post or something equally solid if you can. Run the chain through the frame if possible, and if you can keep the chain short enough so it doesn't dangle on the road all the better.

I kept an ER5 outside my flat in Ealing for 6 months or so, once upon a time, with just a disklock through it. It got kicked over once but never stolen. I concede it was risky though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dilyan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a mate's bike in my garage. He takes it for a ride every now and then, but he doesn't use for anything else but fun.
____________________
Current: 2007 VFR800; Ex: 2001 YZF600R Thundercat
Škoda Octavia (yes, a taxi driver)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a 600cc bike parked in the front of a terraced house with a space that could barely fit 3 normal sized wheelie bins side by side and used to wonder whether the owner lifted it over the wall, the space is so tight Shocked Can you not try with a mates bike as with a bit of manoeuvring you might be able to fit it in?

The front of my house isn't very large either and at first it was a bit tricky getting my bike in as I wasnt used to it but now I can do it with ease and shouldn't have any problems when I get a bigger one as my mates ZXR1000 can fit in. The only thing is that I usually have to moan at my neighbours to leave my gateway clear as everyone parks on the road so it makes it harder to back the bike in if my gate is blocked.
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

herulach
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you not have backs? most terraces will have room in the back yard (and maybe even a handy brick shitter) even if you've only got a path to it you should be able to manoeuvre it in, just make sure you have space to turn around - backwards through a gate is a pita.
____________________
YBR 125>FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got loads of room in the back garden but I've got no side entrance and no way of negotiating it through the house and out the back door due to the design of the house.

It's easy enough for me to back it up to the front door past the gate then turn the front into the gap - a bit like a the Mod1 walking the bike (parking) manoeuvre in reverse - takes less than a minute now Smile it's also easier for me to get the bike out.

A mate sometimes puts his bike in his through lounge and he wondered why he ended up separated from his wife.... Rolling Eyes
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.13 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.27 Kb