|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:12 - 20 Sep 2011 Post subject: VFR800 FiW Electrical Issues |
 |
|
Morning All,
I've been having a lot of issues with my 1998 VFR800 FiW recently. It's been off of the road for a couple of months now due to electrical issues. I thought that these had been solved, but apparently not... I'll tell you the tale so far.
For a while, the bike had been dropping power as I was riding. Pootling along, when suddenly the power drops, then goes back to normal, resulting in a jerking action. As it did this, the FI light would flash on, and then go out again. I tolerated this for a while, until I moved into my own house with a garage, where she sat for a couple of months.
I tried to start her, but she had a dead battery. So, I buy an Optimate, and leave her to charge. Put her in for an MOT at Farnham Honda (which she passed), then picked her up on a Friday morning. Friday evening, I was riding home, and stopped at a cash point. Turned engine off, but left lights on as I got cash out. Got back to bike, and she wouldn't start - dead battery again So, manage to get her rolling down a hill and bump start her. Pull up at a roundabout, and she cuts out. Get her rolling again, bump start again, and off she goes. Then cuts out. I repeated the cycle one more time, then called the RAC.
The chap arrived about half an hour later, and goes about checking the battery - dead. So he gets out his charger, and gets it going. He also replaces the main fuse which had blown, and discovers that the bike won't start with the sidestand down - very odd behaviour. So, after a while charging, we decide to see if she can limp home. She gets there, but it is kangarooing the whole way, with the FI light doing a strobe light impression. Not a relaxing way to ride. Especially as it is dark, and both of my tail lights had blown (not the brake light part though, they were still fine). So, that was the same day that the bike passed the MOT.
I put it in my garage, and started to do some research. I stuck the battery on to charge overnight, and then went about looking at the FI light flashes - seemed to be doing a single long flash. So I cleared the memory, and set about doing some poking about. I checked the fuses, the 10amp Fan fuse had blown, so that was replaced. The rest were fine. Checked the Regulator/Rectifier as detailed in my Haynes manual - seemed to be fine. Took connectors apart, sprayed them with contact cleaner. Checked my ECM. It seemed that one of the wires (B8 in my Haynes manual) when poked caused the engine to die. No warning light flashed though. I couldn't really test this properly though, as the battery kept on losing too much charge to start the engine.
So, I bought a new battery from Halfords, as well as some electrical tape, and some new tail light bulbs. Pulled out the wire B8, disconnected it from the metal plug, gave it a spray, re-attached it and pushed it back in. Charged the new battery, and put that it. Replaced the blown bulbs. Started the bike - all seemed well. Still wouldn't start if the sidestand was down, but I can live with issues like that Also added some foam pads to the bottom of the ECM to try and minimise movement, and bolted the cover over to stop it from moving about. That was Sunday night. Got too dark to test ride a bike I wasn't 100% sure about, so left it till last night.
Started first time (when the sidestand was up!), and rode well. Rode to the garage to check my tyre pressures - a bit low, so I sorted that. Then went out for a little bit of a blast. Was so nice to be back on her after 4 months off of the road.
Then the FI light flashed again (after being out for about 20 minutes). Oh dear. Power started to drop, then come back - leading to a nice jerk accompanied by and FI flash. Rode back home, with this happening every couple of minutes.
Stuck a jumper wire into the service check connector and turned the ignition on. Now, the FI light was reset before this ride, so I assume the reading was accurate - FI light stayed on constantly. So, looks like it will be one of the below:
FI light blinks - 0
Engine operates normally
1. Blown malfunction indicator bulb
2. Open or short circuit in malfunction indicator wire
3. Faulty ECM
`````````````````````````````````````````````
FI light blinks - 0
Engine operates normally
1. Short circuit in malfunction indicator wire
2. Short in service check connector wire
3. Faulty ECM
`````````````````````````````````````````````
Does anyone have any ideas what my next course of action should be? Other than go moan at Farnham Honda for refusing to look at my electrics, but giving it an MOT the same day that it broke down
This is the second summer that I have missed due to having a broken bike. First, it was the most reliable 125 bike, the CG125. Now, one of the most reliable big bikes, the VFR800. I might go and set fire to Mr Honda now...
[/rant][/img] ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jjdugen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jjdugen World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jun 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick 50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick 50 World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:17 - 20 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for the suggestions guys, will test the reg/rec again tonight, and try to fix the side stand switch.
 ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:22 - 21 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| sickpup wrote: | | Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | Cheers for the suggestions guys, will test the reg/rec again tonight, and try to fix the side stand switch.
 |
Theres nothing wrong with it. |
It should be able to start with the side stand down if it is in neutral, and it used to be able to. I think the switch is probably just a bit dirty and corroded from road filth, so hopefully stripping it, cleaning it and putting it back together will get it working again.
As to the rest of the issues, I bought some supplies from Maplins last night. Going to try and make my own earthing wires as discussed here:
https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/66045-urethra-i-found-it/page__st__30 ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SW Motech Shop UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SW Motech Shop UK Scooby Slapper

Joined: 22 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:55 - 24 Sep 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have you checked the charging yet? be interested to know what the voltage is with the bike running and lights on.
I had a similar running issue with my 2000 VFR800 where the fuel pump was intermittently cutting out, turns out that was a faulty ECU. Took a risk and bought one on Ebay, sorted. Didnt have any effect on the charging system though. I would suggest your old battery woudnt hold a charge and you charging system is actually OK.
Just blown the rear shock on mine so its off the road again. ____________________ https://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk and https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/ and https://www.motorcycle-luggage.co.uk/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:12 - 12 Jan 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just an update - bike is still off the road due to this damn electrical issue that I still haven't managed to get to the bottom of. I've stripped out the earth block (https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/66045-urethra-i-found-it/page__st__30) and soldered the wires together, with a new wire running to the battery negative terminal.
As the sidestand switch was giving me issues, I just removed it and soldered the wires together - need to make sure I don't ride off with the sidestand down, but at least that is another possible issue crossed off.
Anyone have any ideas? I'd try and sell it, but I've dropped it, so don't think I'd get much for it
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=206463 ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:48 - 12 Jan 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I sorted my "cutting out" problem - it was the pink/black wire on the engine stop relay connector block - apparantly a common problem. I took the connector apart, cleaned up the spades, applied some contact cleaner and Bob's yer uncle
https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/Drewskovitch/PB261066.jpg
Have you had a look at the clock PCB? ____________________ Space Is Deep |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sleepyboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sleepyboy L Plate Warrior
Joined: 29 Mar 2012 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:02 - 29 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
The starter relay is mounted just behind the rear master cylinder, it's the female x4 connecter block it plugs into that's the problem. You need to remove the female spade connecters and clean them up.
Here's the earthing block:-
https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/Drewskovitch/PB261060.jpg
HTH ____________________ Space Is Deep |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Apr 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:48 - 29 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Didn't realise the Viffer had the same orange earthing block as the Blackbird, you won't find it on any wiring diagram, they just use it to set /test everything at the factory then it's taped up....badly.... never to see the light of day until the connections rot out.
Blackbird owners are advised to cut it off and hardwire it sooner rather than later to prevent problems, some people left it too long after first seeing the random FI light and ended up having to replace electrical items, one poor sod had to replace Reg/rec, stator and the ECU to get it sorted.
Mine went years ago and I ended up experimenting and writing the 'bird fix that's on the various owners forum.
https://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/showthread.php?t=16438
Possible that this one has gone too far and affected other items. ____________________ I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|