|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:49 - 04 Oct 2011 Post subject: Owie. |
 |
|
I had a little... *ahem* ... Mishap on Sunday evening that led to the probable write-off of my Buell, a broken third and fifth metatarsal and a broken right radius.
I was riding on a route I know well and had just exited a roundabout onto an A road. Im fairly sure I was up to speed but not caning it. I noticed just ahead of my front wheel an object in the road. I thought it was a dead squirrel or something but it was directly inline with my front wheel and for a fraction of a second I target fixated on it. Then my front wheel hit it, sending my bike into a tankslapper.
The slapper seemed to last for ages and I remember thinking a number of things very clearly:
1.) How on earth did I get myself into this situation?
2.) How do I get out of this situation? I need to relax my arms and maybe it'll correct itself.
3.) If I have to ditch the bike I'd better go to the left so as to reduce the chances of getting hit by oncoming traffic.
4.) oh shit, this is getting worse!
Next thing I know I'm sliding on my back. The bike went down on the right side and I was propelled towards the right lane. I rolled once and continued sliding. I remember thinking at this point that I was glad I was wearing my hood jeans and that I need to avoid sliding into the oncoming lane. I jammed my elbows into the floor like ski poles and tried to shimmy my body to stay in my lane, which, surprisingly, appeared to be moderately successful. This was at the cost of wearing through the elbow of my jacket... I came to a halt and after the "Oh my god I survived, and uninjured!" moment and aware I was lying in the oncoming lane, I stood and tried to run to the nearest verge but found I could only manage a fairly fast hobble. I sat on the verge and noticed two cars had stopped. the drivers got out and I remember asking them if there was any damage to their cars. Miraculously they said no but the bike had contacted one of the cars. The occupants of the car that was hit told the others that there was no damage and that they were in a lot of a hurry. Surprisingly, they disappeared and I was tended to by the occupants of the first car. It turns out this car had swerved and avoided hitting me and my bike.
One of the guys at the scene was getting agitated about the fact that the ignition on my bike was still switched on. He kept saying "There's no key, you've broken your ignition off!" So I told him a number of times that the ignition switch was on the side but he couldn't get the concept so I stood, walked over to the bike and switched the ignition off. I walked back to my previous sitting place and sat again. I realised there was pain in my right wrist and left foot. The woman in the car had now parked on the opposite verge and the guys there had told me that where I was sitting was not safe. I thought I was OK, but they insisted, so after rolling my bike over onto its left side to get it out of the road they each took an arm and marched me across the road. I could see bits of crash mushroom and stuff in the road as I passed.
They sat me in the front seat of the car and told me they'd called an ambulance. I thought this was overkill because I was just bruised. Then I looked at my right wrist and it looked kinda funny. I told the people there that my foot hurt, and someone loosened my boot. At this point the police arrived and a paramedic in a car. The police went through the usual spiel and I was breathalysed etc. The Paramedic then accidentally trod on my bad foot, and proceeded to attach the heart monitor to my bad arm, then tug on the cable... agh! The policemen re appeared and told me the only thing they saw in the road was an old boot. Perhaps I mistook the boot for a dead animal... The police seemed satisfied that this was the likely cause of the accident and helped me to the now waiting ambulance.
At hospital I had many examinations, many many X rays and a LOT of hanging around. The pretty jr doctor told me that she'd need to set the bone in my wrist. She kept apologising and was clearly not happy about causing me further pain, which was very unlike an experienced doctor! Her and a colleague gave me some gas and air an then set the bone. You know how they do this in the movies right? They give it one brief tug and then its done? Nope. Cue a minute or two of agonising tugging and pressure on the break. They then put a cast on my wrist and sent me for yet more X rays.
They told me that if the X rays were ok, I could go home. If they weren't then they'd have to set the bone again. Not a happy prospect! Luckily the bones wre now in a good position, but they needed to cut a slot into my cast to allow for swelling. The nurse who did this had clearly never used a dremel or angle grinder. At one point I felt like grabbing the cast remover tool off of her and doing it myself!!
They told me to go to my local hospital in the morning to go to the fracture clinic. By this time it was 3am, and I didn't get home until 4am. Bright and early next dayI showed up at the fracture clinic. After yet more X rays (the ones on the CD they gave me were not good enough quality apparently!) They told me they would leave my broken foot without a cast and it should heal on its own but I need an operation on my wrist or I'll get arthritis further down the line. The op is booked for tomorrow... I'm having a steel plate fitted.
In conclusion it was scary, then weird, then painful, then boring. apart from my recovery concerns I am genuinely worried about my confidence on a bike. This is my fourth crash, and the third involving a tankslapper. It was scary as hell and I was very lucky. This is the first time I've broken bones, and although this is the first time I have a fairly definitive cause of the crash, I think its severity along with the potential long recovery time could really dent my confidence. Its also the first time I've had to claim on bike insurance (because the police recovered the bike, and it is worth something and I have fully comp).
I'm wondering if I might be prone to tankslappers on bikes. The first one I had was when I lost the back end on my blade. I caught it before it became a highside but it turned into a slapper and spat me off. The second was on the Speed 4, which I think was the result of me trying to brake on a stuck open throttle.
Anyway, I won't be riding for a while and I'm seriously debating whether or not to bother replacing the Buell. Which surprises me a little. ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:00 - 04 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Really sorry to hear about the bike, why not give it a few days before you make any decission?
What does`nt kill you can only make you stronger  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:11 - 04 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
You'll be fine MarJay, your injuries are pretty minor and you got away very lucky from that.
You will find, exactly like I did that during your recovery period you will get the 'itch', you will want to get back on and the second you can you will. I could barely walk on my legs which were still broken at the time and I was on my bike riding around!
It will be all good, the confidence dent you feel is totally normal for most people and it will pass once you realise that the accident could have been prevented in some way, it will make you more determined for the future, at least that is what it has done for me!
Why not look for a bike with an electronic steering damper? The one on my GSX-R feels like it's not even there <10mph but when it's needed it really kicks in and does its job.
Best of luck in your recovery MarJay, if you want a chat to someone who's been through what you're going through just a heck of a lot worse, throw me a PM. ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| keggyhander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 keggyhander World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Nov 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paulington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paulington World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:03 - 04 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
As far as I know it doesn't, the HESD (Honda Electronic Steering Damper) is only on the CBR600RR/CBR1000RR.
You'd have to look up any other motorcycles with them on, you could always buy one or a GSX-R type thing, take the fairings off and put some Renthals on?
I'll see if I can find anything, happy to chat too. ____________________ "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mistergixer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mistergixer World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rowey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rowey World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Oct 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fisty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fisty Super Spammer

Joined: 11 Apr 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:50 - 04 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to hear about your off. I did exactly the same thing on Sunday, target fixated on a dead squirrel and went straight over it but luckily nothing came of it
Note to self: Must get steering damper
Oh and get a Monster  ____________________ Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:58 - 05 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Clearly you need to eat more pies.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jim Mc |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jim Mc Nearly there...
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:38 - 05 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
It’s a shitter you broke something again Marjay, I know those old injuries ache later in life. Not sure what to suggest if this isn’t the first time. I ride the TLR and so far the damper is great, doesn’t hinder my riding. I had a minor slapper on my 7R from exiting a corner and smacking a cats eye, it’s not a great feeling, i’m not sure how it hasn’t happened more often. ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:21 - 05 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oof. Sorry to hear of your accident.
Did you tense up, perhaps go rigid and worsen the 'wobble' do you think? Anyhow, hope you get it sorted.
 ____________________ NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:06 - 05 Oct 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Firstly..
No MS Paint in this thread.
Glad to hear you came out relatively ok.
I've come off a few times now, not through own fault as such (not saying you were at fault...) but it does give you a massive feeling of why do I even bother riding.
What made me not want to give up was while i was still crippled and riding around in my wheelchair.. my friends turned up at my house.. a good 5 or 6 bikers parked on the drive.
The bastards Just made me want to get back on one... not being able to stand at all kinda prevented my from that, but really made me think when I have the money to get a new bike, im doing it... much to my parents dismay
You'll learn from it, you have far more riding experience than me, this could have happened to anyone... better it happens to someone who knows what they are doing so you can rectify most problems before they happen and escape with minimal injuries, than a noob like me that would wobble like mad, fly into oncoming traffic and end up 6ft under.
Better still, the boot could have not been there... but you get my point
Get well soon.
I'll just leave this here..
https://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/admin/images/GG_GPS_Silencer_HONDA_CB_1000_R_2008_on_65934.jpeg |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| totalllama82 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 totalllama82 Crazy Courier

Joined: 03 Jan 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thx1138 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thx1138 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Old Git Racing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Old Git Racing World Chat Champion
Joined: 08 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|