Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Scammer At Work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 11 Sep 2004    Post subject: Scammer At Work Reply with quote

I got an email regarding my bike yesterday:

"MY NAME IS JOHN, I SAW YOUR ADVERT PLACING ON INTERNET WHERE THE PRICE IS STATED AS $2950, AND I WILL LIKE TO PURCHASE IT WITH US CHEQUE. IF THIS SUIT YOUR PURPOSE KINDLY SEND ME IS CONDITION AND THE PICS IF AVAILABLE."[

Hmm, purchase with cheque,eh? Could this be one of them fraud thingies where he sends me a cheque for more than the amount I'm askng and then tells me to send the difference to someone via Western union. Of course the cheque will bounce 5 days later and the bank will take their money back, leaving me out of pocket by a couple of grand.

Well I replied and told him I'd take a banker's draft or he could wire the money via Western Union. Guess what I got next?

"hello, am okay with the price,i will like to make you understand that there is this client of mine, who is owing so much, and he is ready to cut a euro check of the amount his owing me ($4950, ),i will instruct him to issue it out to you,and am counting and trusting you to wire back the excess funds of $2950, via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER as soon as you get the check to my shipper pls..After my balance has been wired to the shipper, he will come to your destination to pick up the product,waiting to hear from you,awaiting"

I'm considering getting this guys cheque and framing it... Mr. Green
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Scammer At Work Reply with quote

Best not to give your own address.

They might send someone around knowing the bike is there.

How about finding the address of someone in CID or similar at the local police station?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 11 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooh cant we have some fun with him, try and scam him out of some money

send me his mail address i could have some fun!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 12 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a person contact me when i was advertising my old bike on freeads.co.uk and he was basically saying the same.
____________________
Police Tut Tut

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 12 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big scam !
My brother had roughly the same email from when he was selling his car via autotrader.
He contacted autotrader and they said dont do it !
I think they were from holland or somewhere like that Confused
____________________
Ducati 916,white framed corse replica https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=239309
Ducati 160 monza jnr soon to be cafe racer
https://blauschatfroums.freeforums.net/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Diehard
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 12 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get these every other day about my CBR (been gone since feb). All use hotmail, yahoo etc email addys and all follow the same lines. DON'T EVEN REPLY, it's not worth it, thay talk in riddles and never give the info you want, no-matter how many times you ask. I searched the names they used on google for interest, and they use the same mail layout to try to buy everything form pushbikes to boats, just fill in the blanks. A good give away is when they refer to ya bike as CAR and then BIKE later on (yes they do wright it in caps too). One guy was called Bobby Michael, which turned out to be (after google search) the name of a hard-core GAY porn star! As ya can imagine he didn't get a reply! Very Happy
____________________
If I Die... I Die!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:00 - 13 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know it's a scam alright. The same people who send out the 419 scams are behind it - those "Hello, I have $20,000,000 in Nigeria and you can have some of it if you give me all your bank details" ones.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chrisowingtot...
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 15 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i had loads of those with my bike too. about 5 just from one advert!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 55.84 Kb