Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Help me make a decision...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RePT
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Help me make a decision... Reply with quote

Hi All!

Everyday, im on comparison websites, looking for cheap insurance quotes and cheap bikes! I cant resist the urge, as I can financially afford it, But what would be the best option?

A) I currently am insured on a cg125, I bought a whole years policy, I cant cancel it because of my accident. Should I wait out the remaining 6months before doing anything?

B) Sell my cg125, and buy a sv650. budget is around £1300. Insurance is about £700 TPO. This means ill have two policies, pretty much £200 from my cg policy going to waste.

C)Sell my cg125, and buy a peugoet 106. then pay £5000 on insurance(yep, ridiculous prices in my area, this isnt really an option but im just putting it out there!)

I need to be convinced to make the right decision. I know which decision is right, but I dont want to admit to it! I'd rather someone else convince me.

your thoughts please?

Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id wait it out, save a load more money, buy a sports 600, some leathers and do some track days. Thumbs Up
____________________
GPZ500 sold ~ CBR600FS-2 sold ~ ZX6R sold ~ Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smart decision is to wait till your policy is up, and ride the CG for another 6 months. You dont really want to buy a new bike for the winter when you are more likely to drop it. However that said, a bigger bike is safer over the winter.

The answer your hoping for is BUY THE SV!!! Which is what I would be looking for, and seeing as I own an SV I would recommend one and prices are low at the moment due to the weather.

Surely there is a way of changing your insurance policy, its what I did when I bought my bike, or even cancelling it?
____________________
Current Ride: Daytona 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy TPO insurance.

Get quotes on thebikeinsurer.co.uk... that price for an SV is insane.

Why can't you cancel? I've only ever completed 2 full years of insurance, the rest were cancelled after accidents.
Try and change policy from 125 > new bike, some allow, most don't.

Also, look for different bikes, maybe Bandits/Fazer 600s, unless you love agricultural items.

Also...cars, don't aim for the usual write off cars that little chavs drive..look for odd cars like Toyota Yaris, VW Lupo, Mazda 2's... even small volvos are cheaper than little 1 litre chav wagons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just ask your current insurers how much to change the policy to an SV for the remaining 6 months??
You've got nothing to lose, as said you might or might not be able to do it with your particular insurer but you're £200 to the good towards the cost of 6 months insurance +admin fee if they do.
You don't usually have a problem swopping bikes mid term with larger bikes it's just some insure the smaller capacity ones only and don't insure bigger ones.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gazeranco
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should just be able to carry on with the CG policy (obviously there will be an increase in premium) with the new bike, thats what my brother did when his car was stolen and he got a new one...
____________________
Bikes Owned:-
Honda Club 90, Honda CB 250, Honda NSR 125, Honda CBR 125, Suzuki RG 125, Yamaha FZR 400 EXUP, Kawasaki ER6F (2011)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RePT
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant cancel the policy because there is a claim on it Sad.

I phoned up and asked if it was possible to transfer it over to a sv650, and they said no because "This policy is only for 125's" -,-

Also, to reinsure with them, it will cost me £2000. Where as other companies do it for £700.

Our area has a high crimerate, and fake claims and shit. Insurance here is too expensive. My dad has like 15 yrs ncb, 20+ year license, and hes paying £1000 on a 1.9tdi 7seater..(£800 car)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

RePT wrote:
I cant cancel the policy because there is a claim on it Sad.

I phoned up and asked if it was possible to transfer it over to a sv650, and they said no because "This policy is only for 125's" -,-

Also, to reinsure with them, it will cost me £2000. Where as other companies do it for £700.

Our area has a high crimerate, and fake claims and shit. Insurance here is too expensive. My dad has like 15 yrs ncb, 20+ year license, and hes paying £1000 on a 1.9tdi 7seater..(£800 car)


Your dad is being shafted hard.

Claim against you? Your fault? If so, understandable...but if its not your fault, you can cancel whenever.

Do a few quotes for different bikes. Bikes I know that are cheap are 1994 CB400 Super four (date purely for insurance searching) and 1993 Suzuki GS500.
Both of these should cost you minimal to insure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think my dad's got fully comp on his transit for £40 or something. Laughing
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not intending to claim for fire or theft anyway then try TPFT quotes with a £500 excess but of course do not lie and say that it's garaged with Promethian chainage on it, since it would be dishonest and wrong to tell fibs to insurers.

Although your root problem is living in that area, you may want to address that.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RePT
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep its a claim against me..

Rogerborg:

What if I have a accident? Id have to cough up £500?

I dont actually understand 'excess'. Is it only in the case that I make a claim? or claims against me.

edit: also, what would be the best thing to put under security/additonal security?

I mean, whats the best one so i can buy it Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

RePT wrote:
yep its a claim against me..

Rogerborg:

What if I have a accident? Id have to cough up £500?

I dont actually understand 'excess'. Is it only in the case that I make a claim? or claims against me.

edit: also, what would be the best thing to put under security/additonal security?

I mean, whats the best one so i can buy it Cool


You pay excess if its YOUR fault.
I have never paid excess, nor will I ever pay it... but I do select the highest amount and will pay if I am actually in the wrong Laughing

Almax chain Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RePT
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
RePT wrote:
yep its a claim against me..

Rogerborg:

What if I have a accident? Id have to cough up £500?

I dont actually understand 'excess'. Is it only in the case that I make a claim? or claims against me.

edit: also, what would be the best thing to put under security/additonal security?

I mean, whats the best one so i can buy it Cool


You pay excess if its YOUR fault.
I have never paid excess, nor will I ever pay it... but I do select the highest amount and will pay if I am actually in the wrong Laughing

Almax chain Thumbs Up


and in the event on a 50/50?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bunglebubs
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitedevil wrote:
Id wait it out, save a load more money, buy a sports 600, some leathers and do some track days. Thumbs Up


I would do this, by then we should be having decent weather and waiting that length of time will make you appreciate the bigger bike when you get it. It sounds like your insurance company are a bunch or w**kers so when your policy runs out change who you are with.
____________________
899 Panigale, K7 GSXR 750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excess is only applied to a payout from your insurer to you.

If you were planning on getting a policy that would only pay out to 3rd parties anyway, then you've got nothing to lose by getting quotes for TPFT with the largest possible excess, with no intention of ever claiming under it. You may find that you get cheaper quotes, you may not, but it's worth a try.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

RePT wrote:


and in the event on a 50/50?


Yes how does a 50/50 work? Do you pay 50% of the excess?
____________________
Motorcycle headlight bulbs and HIDs
Blogging about my bike and trips
https://ridershandbook.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
RePT wrote:


and in the event on a 50/50?


Yes how does a 50/50 work? Do you pay 50% of the excess?


I would assume as you can't tell who is at fault at the scene, you both pay excess and get it refunded once finished. Its not 50/50 until insurers say so.

Regardless I had a claim that some woman claimed I went into her when she was parked...insurers said look, we need you to pay your excess as it could be your fault. Refused to pay as she reversed out of her drive without looking, told them where to shove it.

Excess seems to mean sod all Laughing Although when quoting on the car if I choose £350 excess I get 1100 if I choose £400 I get a higher quote... so have a fiddle with the excess.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 98.44 Kb