|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:56 - 17 Sep 2004 Post subject: Embarrassingly basic questions... |
 |
|
I can almost see the rolling eye and rofl smilies on the way already
Well, anyway I'm looking at picking up a two stroke 125. I then realised I know nothing about running a two stroke at all. So I have two questions;
1) Unleaded or LRP?
2) What's the deal with this two stroke oil? I understand why, but do you use it like oil in a regular four? Like look at the dipstick/gauge and when it needs it fill it? Or something more arcane? Is there good two oil and crap two oil like car oil? Does it matter?
If it helps (or makes a difference as I'm not totally sold or certain of getting this bike, so general information is good) I'm looking at a 1988 TZR. You may now laugh and point at me if you like  ____________________ 'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:39 - 17 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sv_cath |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sv_cath Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 19 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:43 - 17 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've always used Silkolene semi-synthetic two-stroke oil in my TZR250 and it's done the job (and smells good!).
You'll have a light to tell you when the oil's getting low - make sure you top up when it comes on. If you run out of two-stroke oil, the engine will seize which can be expensive to repair.
I wish you many many happy two-stroke miles!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:48 - 17 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
There are three types of two stroke oil. Pretty much all of them can be used with injectors or pre-mix.
I would say that with a sporty bike such as a TZR 125 you might want to use a good quality fully synthetic oil. Its the best way to extend the life of your engine.
The other types are obviously semi synthetic and mineral, but really I wouldn't trust these except perhaps on two stroke scooters. HTH  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:07 - 17 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
OK, thanks for that both So mineral is definately off the list.
Well, I'm off out to buy some L-plates (been something like ten years since I last had some of those ), and I do hope I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched.
You should probably all stand by for some more really obvious questions too  ____________________ 'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom_ Points Mean Prizes

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:57 - 18 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Also check that it smokes when cold/high revs. 2 stroke bike engines are like chainsaws, alot of smoke on startup means its not gonna seize.
Its also worth keeping a spare plug handy, 2 strokes tend to eat them at the most annoying of times  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:04 - 18 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
All good, but the bike went for far, far more than I thought it was worth. I was caught by the eBay+vodka spell and went chasing Dumb I know. But anyhow, I managed to not pay more than the deal was worth. i.e. I lost. But I'm still looking for a two, so any information you give is dope. But I'm still crying over the loss of that beautifully 80's styled TZR  ____________________ 'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:47 - 19 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swampy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swampy World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:50 - 19 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't know, but I guess there should be a little cap on the side of the crankcase somewhere. Should be fairly close to a little observation window hole thingy.. hope this helps  ____________________ "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy99 Spanner Monkey

Joined: 16 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ts50x0 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ts50x0 Spanner Monkey
Joined: 16 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:17 - 29 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Heh Back with more. Well, just the one But at least it's quick.
Is the choke on my TZR two stages or just the one? If it's two then that will explain a fair bit, like the idling when warm at 2500rpm , and possibly the excessive smoking thing.
It would also mean (obviously) that it's stuck half way I've messed with it but it seems so well fixed that I thought I'd better ask before I snap it or something daft. The Haynes incidentally is particularly useless in this regard  ____________________ 'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ts50x0 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ts50x0 Spanner Monkey
Joined: 16 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:47 - 29 Sep 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
hi mate.
im pretty sure you aint riding with the choke on. it wouldnt tick over at all and it would definatly not even reach the powerband when you ride it. if it gets to the right temperature on the guage then it should be fine. remember the more smoke the better(as long as it runs ok). it cant do any harm to have exta lubrication on these things.
judt enjoy it.
good luck
sam  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 22 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|