Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Embarrassingly basic questions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:56 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Embarrassingly basic questions... Reply with quote

I can almost see the rolling eye and rofl smilies on the way already Very Happy

Well, anyway I'm looking at picking up a two stroke 125. I then realised I know nothing about running a two stroke at all. So I have two questions;

1) Unleaded or LRP? Embarassed
2) What's the deal with this two stroke oil? I understand why, but do you use it like oil in a regular four? Like look at the dipstick/gauge and when it needs it fill it? Or something more arcane? Is there good two oil and crap two oil like car oil? Does it matter? Embarassed

If it helps (or makes a difference as I'm not totally sold or certain of getting this bike, so general information is good) I'm looking at a 1988 TZR. You may now laugh and point at me if you like Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:21 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to fill it up with unleaded petrol. LRP is lead replacement petrol which is the replacement for four star petrol.

Two stroke oil on bikes is mixed with the petrol and burnt in the cylinder. There is normally a seperate tank to the petrol tank which you top up every few hundred miles, if you run the bike without two stroke oil then it will seize the engine and result in a nice bill. There are oils to be used in the engine which are labelled two stroke oil as well, you do not use these in the same way, these go to lubricate the engine (gearbox, clutch etc) and you change it every few thousand miles generally.

It is the same for all two strokes bikes no matter when they were made or whatever, some of the older ones you do have to pre mix the petrol and two stroke oil rather than filling the petrol tank and a two stroke oil tank, but other than that they're all the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You'll want to fill it up with unleaded petrol. LRP is lead replacement petrol which is the replacement for four star petrol.

Cool. thought as much, but I was just concerned with it being an older engine.
Ste wrote:
Plenty information about two stroke oil

So there are two types of two stroke oil. One for the petrol mix, one for the rest then. OK.
Do people use synthetic or mineral? Will it make much of a difference which I choose? Any recommendations?
Thanks for the information. It's hard this bike lark as I have no biker mates at all (boring lot Wink) and my Dad hasn't touched a bike since probably before you needed a licence Wink Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used Silkolene semi-synthetic two-stroke oil in my TZR250 and it's done the job (and smells good!).
You'll have a light to tell you when the oil's getting low - make sure you top up when it comes on. If you run out of two-stroke oil, the engine will seize which can be expensive to repair.

I wish you many many happy two-stroke miles! Thumbs Up Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three types of two stroke oil. Pretty much all of them can be used with injectors or pre-mix.

I would say that with a sporty bike such as a TZR 125 you might want to use a good quality fully synthetic oil. Its the best way to extend the life of your engine.

The other types are obviously semi synthetic and mineral, but really I wouldn't trust these except perhaps on two stroke scooters. HTH Thumbs Up Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that both Very Happy Thumbs Up So mineral is definately off the list.
Well, I'm off out to buy some L-plates Very Happy (been something like ten years since I last had some of those Very Happy), and I do hope I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched.
You should probably all stand by for some more really obvious questions too Wink
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

'https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=TZR125+unleaded'


LOL, as they say.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two-Stroke tips:

1. Alwayse use FULLY synthetic oils, more expensive is best £10 a litre is what you should be paying
2. Dont thrash the bike from cold (same goes to any engine really) keep the bike under 6000revs until its up to around 60 degrees.
3. Dont trust the oil light, look in the tank once a week to check theres enough oil in there. If you do lots of miles then i recommend you check the oil tank more often.
4. Under no circumstances ride the bike with the oil light on, unless its a vrey short journey to the local car/bike shop to get some more oil. Because as soon as the oil runs out the engine will seize, and as a newbie i doubt you want to carry out a top end rebuild.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:57 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check that it smokes when cold/high revs. 2 stroke bike engines are like chainsaws, alot of smoke on startup means its not gonna seize.

Its also worth keeping a spare plug handy, 2 strokes tend to eat them at the most annoying of times Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good, but the bike went for far, far more than I thought it was worth. I was caught by the eBay+vodka spell and went chasing Rolling Eyes Dumb I know. But anyhow, I managed to not pay more than the deal was worth. i.e. I lost. But I'm still looking for a two, so any information you give is dope. But I'm still crying over the loss of that beautifully 80's styled TZR Crying or Very sad
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
'https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=TZR125+unleaded'


LOL, as they say.

That is pretty funny actually, as I googled that thread up this morning when I realised I couldn't find the choke on my new TZR Embarassed Very Happy

I do have another basic question that hopefully sv_cath or anyone can answer for me. I'm a little confused as to what to do with the two stroke oil still. Looking the bike over, I've fairly obviously found the oil tank (under the seat). This I assume is the oil that mixes with the fuel? (So no need for premixing?). So where the hell does the oil for the gearbox and transmission go?
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but I guess there should be a little cap on the side of the crankcase somewhere. Should be fairly close to a little observation window hole thingy.. hope this helps Thumbs Up
____________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." Hunter S Thompson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the oil tank under the seat is for the two stroke oil which mixes with the fuel. The oil for the engine (gearbox & transmission) look on the right hand top side of the crankcase for where it goes in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy99
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should see a filler on the right hand side of the bike by the kickstart.
Fill up the 2 stroke tank with quality oil then refill as it get used up,dead easy.You only need worry about premixing oil and petrol yourself if the bike doesn't have its own oil pump and tank.
____________________
Nothing gets the point across quite like a raised middle digit.

Just call me General Crazypaws.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 19 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Thumbs Up Thanks all Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mineral oil tends to be good for the older 2 stokes, castrol super tt is a good one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh Very Happy Back with more. Well, just the one Very Happy But at least it's quick.
Is the choke on my TZR two stages or just the one? If it's two then that will explain a fair bit, like the idling when warm at 2500rpm Confused, and possibly the excessive smoking thing.
It would also mean (obviously) that it's stuck half way Thumbs Down I've messed with it but it seems so well fixed that I thought I'd better ask before I snap it or something daft. The Haynes incidentally is particularly useless in this regard Thumbs Down
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate.
im pretty sure you aint riding with the choke on. it wouldnt tick over at all and it would definatly not even reach the powerband when you ride it. if it gets to the right temperature on the guage then it should be fine. remember the more smoke the better(as long as it runs ok). it cant do any harm to have exta lubrication on these things.
judt enjoy it.
good luck
sam Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 104.85 Kb