|
|
| Author |
Message |
| boundy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 boundy Nearly there...

Joined: 24 Jan 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:07 - 15 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
People don't realise that sort of things you can get nowadays.
When I get round to getting a box, it will be like the one my dad uses.
500gb HD, networked into all the computers, twin tuner, iplayer + others, youtube etc.
Cool feature is you can select a genre e.g. films and it will show a list of every film being shown in the next 30 days and you can just go to down recording any that look good. If you try and record overlapping shows like 3 at once or something, it will tell you and recommend another time when that same episode is being shown to record at a later date.
It does everything sky+ does and more. The UI is awesome as well.
I can't stand the UI on some of the budget boxes out there.
EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?prodref=10095 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lukamon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lukamon World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:20 - 15 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
yes, for 11x the price. all i really want is a clearer picture on my tv ____________________ killa wrote: Im an ass man myself |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| boundy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 boundy Nearly there...

Joined: 24 Jan 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:03 - 16 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| The Artist wrote: | People don't realise that sort of things you can get nowadays.
When I get round to getting a box, it will be like the one my dad uses.
500gb HD, networked into all the computers, twin tuner, iplayer + others, youtube etc.
Cool feature is you can select a genre e.g. films and it will show a list of every film being shown in the next 30 days and you can just go to down recording any that look good. If you try and record overlapping shows like 3 at once or something, it will tell you and recommend another time when that same episode is being shown to record at a later date.
It does everything sky+ does and more. The UI is awesome as well.
I can't stand the UI on some of the budget boxes out there.
EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?prodref=10095 |
I think you kind of missed the point, why spend £15 -£20 on an Argos special for the telly in the bedroom/non main TV, when for £5 more you can get a half decent box that is still in current development and will have new fatures added like blink box/ iplayer.
I have a 36'' Toshiba CRT TV in my front room that cost me £30 from ebay, it replaced my old 32" Phillips that blew just before Christmas. I didn't have the cash that close to Christmas to buy a new decent telly and from what I had read, a cheap LCD would only disapoint coming from a (in its day) top of the range CRT, so Ebay cheapy it was. The Toshiba is a cracking bit of kit for an old beast, at over 70kg it was not fun getting up the stairs to my flat. I think spending £300 on a digital box is a bit over kill.
I have my Xbox connected via component ( yes, TV's this old had a component input + 100hz scanning) and I stream alot of media via my laptop |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.M. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.M. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:16 - 16 Mar 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I bought one of the PlayTV boxes for around £30 a year or so ago. Initially for the PS3 as I didn't have a TV (used LCD monitor with HD Fury), but the PS3 died.
A little hack later (if you are kind enough to give it that much prestige), I had it working on my laptop. I use it through Windows Media Centre. Can run just as well on Linux though I believe, I think I saw someone had figured it out.
2 digital tuners, not HD though. Plugs in to my laptop via USB and makes the laptop do all of the decoding (no hardware decoding). Maybe not the best VFM but it works for me.
As for refurbished though, big to it. I got my laptop hundreds cheaper because it had a little bit of cosmetic damage on the lid. You should see the state of the laptop now! I re-soldered on BIOS battery, re-soldered the DC jack back together, accidentally burnt a chunk out of the casing with my soldering iron, cracked (and lost) a small part of the casing at a corner of the screen and glued the left & right mouse click back on after breaking it off due to excessive use. I've even come off the bike (twice ) in the snow/ice whilst having it in my backpack. Safe to say that I don't notice the scratch any more, I'm also confident in saying that acer have made a pretty solid laptop!  ____________________ 2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|