Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bargin Freeview HD box

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

boundy
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Bargin Freeview HD box Reply with quote

Picked up one of these the other day, need to pick it up from the sorting office but reading up on it on the AV forums it seems a really nice bit of kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270934606382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It will also have BBC iplayer aswell, its in beta at the mo and you can get the beta firmware update from customer suport.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't realise that sort of things you can get nowadays.

When I get round to getting a box, it will be like the one my dad uses.

500gb HD, networked into all the computers, twin tuner, iplayer + others, youtube etc.
Cool feature is you can select a genre e.g. films and it will show a list of every film being shown in the next 30 days and you can just go to down recording any that look good. If you try and record overlapping shows like 3 at once or something, it will tell you and recommend another time when that same episode is being shown to record at a later date.

It does everything sky+ does and more. The UI is awesome as well.

I can't stand the UI on some of the budget boxes out there.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?prodref=10095
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 15 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
stuff


yes, for 11x the price. all i really want is a clearer picture on my tv
____________________
killa wrote: Im an ass man myself
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

boundy
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:03 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
People don't realise that sort of things you can get nowadays.

When I get round to getting a box, it will be like the one my dad uses.

500gb HD, networked into all the computers, twin tuner, iplayer + others, youtube etc.
Cool feature is you can select a genre e.g. films and it will show a list of every film being shown in the next 30 days and you can just go to down recording any that look good. If you try and record overlapping shows like 3 at once or something, it will tell you and recommend another time when that same episode is being shown to record at a later date.

It does everything sky+ does and more. The UI is awesome as well.

I can't stand the UI on some of the budget boxes out there.

EDIT: Here it is.
https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?prodref=10095



I think you kind of missed the point, why spend £15 -£20 on an Argos special for the telly in the bedroom/non main TV, when for £5 more you can get a half decent box that is still in current development and will have new fatures added like blink box/ iplayer.

I have a 36'' Toshiba CRT TV in my front room that cost me £30 from ebay, it replaced my old 32" Phillips that blew just before Christmas. I didn't have the cash that close to Christmas to buy a new decent telly and from what I had read, a cheap LCD would only disapoint coming from a (in its day) top of the range CRT, so Ebay cheapy it was. The Toshiba is a cracking bit of kit for an old beast, at over 70kg it was not fun getting up the stairs to my flat. I think spending £300 on a digital box is a bit over kill.

I have my Xbox connected via component ( yes, TV's this old had a component input + 100hz scanning) and I stream alot of media via my laptop
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:16 - 16 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the PlayTV boxes for around £30 a year or so ago. Initially for the PS3 as I didn't have a TV (used LCD monitor with HD Fury), but the PS3 died.

A little hack later (if you are kind enough to give it that much prestige), I had it working on my laptop. I use it through Windows Media Centre. Can run just as well on Linux though I believe, I think I saw someone had figured it out.

2 digital tuners, not HD though. Plugs in to my laptop via USB and makes the laptop do all of the decoding (no hardware decoding). Maybe not the best VFM but it works for me.

As for refurbished though, big Thumbs Up to it. I got my laptop hundreds cheaper because it had a little bit of cosmetic damage on the lid. You should see the state of the laptop now! I re-soldered on BIOS battery, re-soldered the DC jack back together, accidentally burnt a chunk out of the casing with my soldering iron, cracked (and lost) a small part of the casing at a corner of the screen and glued the left & right mouse click back on after breaking it off due to excessive use. I've even come off the bike (twice Embarassed) in the snow/ice whilst having it in my backpack. Safe to say that I don't notice the scratch any more, I'm also confident in saying that acer have made a pretty solid laptop! Laughing
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 47.45 Kb